When will the phantom 3 plus be launched?

Reaction score
Will DJI follow Apple's example and launch regular upgrades?
Any thoughts on what the phantom 3 plus might feature?

Ah don't start this please!!! all you're gonna get is "I want it to have an 8k camera, it should fly 20 miles, have object avoidance, 1hr battery" blah blah blah
This is a pointless post.
350px-DSC04429.jpg

I don't think anyone's ready for 8k yet or would be legal and practical to have a 20 mile range. There will be a phantom 3 plus and I was curious as to what improvements could be made without being silly

With the Vision Plus the shortcomings especially video quality soon became evident - but you could live with it.
It's early yet with the P3 but hard to see anything that would make me want to upgrade for a couple of years, but something will eventually come along which is better.
I really can't see need for much longer flight times or greater range.

Perhaps the whole thing could be even smaller for portability - but smaller and lighter is going to be more affected by wind even if the power was still there.

DJI has so many thing to do with actual P3 software/firmware that I hope will wait at least 1 year from now ....

It is more likely that the next one will be an Inspire replacement with twin or larger battery, collision avoidance and a zoom lens on the camera and perhaps larger format. Not too hard to predict because the Matrice 100 already has the first two. Long range opens up commercial uses like surveillance and rescue but an all weather version would be needed for that.

As the market leader with an aggressive attitude to staying there you can be 100% certain Dji are working on an upgrade to the P3.
Sure. I think will have a better flying time, inspire one controller and a better compass at least.

There is very little that could be improved at his point with the physical P3 itself. Stability and performance are excellent at this price point. DJI's biggest weakness is software. They have consistently been 3-6 months behind on delivering the software features they promise at release.

The weakest part of the P3P is the camera, and most of that can be fixed in firmware. DJI is a UAS/multirotor/drone company, not a camera company. They have made some great leaps this last year and have finally delivered a camera with a nearly flat lens, because not everyone loves fisheye or dealing with fixing it in post. If DJI is smart (and humble), they can pay their SOC supplier (ambarella) to come in and clean up their firmware and really maximize the potential of the camera hardware they already have.

The next generation camera camera could also move up to the Ambarella H1 SOC which is capable of 1080p at 240fps for the action videographers or 4k 30fps with H.265/HEVC for cinematographers.

They could go a different direction and switch over to using the Inspire camera and mount (maybe software restricted so we can't see legs?) with their factory supplied ND and UV filters that are easy to swap out. I severely doubt this would happen, but if they could come up with a version with a quick release camera and foldable legs we could get down to a briefcase sized carrying package instead of the bulky backpacks and hard cases we are forced to deal with now.

I would really love to see an "Inspire Mini" with the same general design but scaled down to P3 props and batteries, but with the same interchangeable camera system. The biggest advantage of bring down the size would be to get the whole package into a carry on sized case (23"x14"x9"). A P3 sized inspire could potentially fit into a thick briefcase with the props on for the ultimate portability and rapid deployment. The interchangeable camera system could finally open up the market for major profit with specialized cameras to fit everyone's needs instead of the "one size fits all" compromises we are limited to now.

When you get interchangeable cameras into the consumer market you open the floodgates of possibilities for specialized applications and needs. Everything from wide angle FLIR for agriculture or narrow angle FLIR for search and rescue to massive action cameras (have you seen Sony's new 960fps consumer camera?) to longer range telephoto lens that allow you get crowd videos while staying safely back from the crowds. When you separate the camera from body you allow the innovation to uncouple so that DJI can release updated flying platforms and updated cameras separately, as each improves, as long as you maintain compatibility of the mount.

Look at the camera industry for a similar analogy. Separating the body and the lens allows for advances in both while encouraging consumers to upgrade the parts that are most important to them. I can still mount a 30 year old Minolta lens on the latest, greatest $3200 Sony camera body because it gives me a certain look and feel I'm trying to achieve.

Think of the opportunities when you separate the camera and the flying platform:
- Need entry level? Pair a phantom and a 1080p camera module and upgrade later to a 4k camera.
- Filming action video? Upgrade to the super fast 960fps action camera.
- Search and rescue? Pair the dual battery Matrix and narrow field FLIR camera.
- Cinematography? Upgrade to a dedicated videography camera with fixed CP filter, quick swap ND/UV filters, and 400Mbps AVC recording.

Reactions: Coldfire and Meta4
Oh, and a higher resolution for still pictures. The P2V+ has a 14 MP camera so why is the P3 a step down at 12 MP?
If you think the P3 camera is a step down from the P2V+ you need to look further.
First the difference between 12MP and 14MP is too small to make any difference
Second the P3 camera is way better.
There's a lot more to camera quality than simply more pixels = better.
In the last 2 weeks with a P3 I've been able to take lots of pictures I couldn't get in a year with a P2V+.
Here's one
630-55a-XL.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic