WHEN AM I NO LONGER A “NEWBIE”?

Reaction score
As a P3S driver, I have flown nearly 200 flights, flown nearly 40mph, covered nearly 50 miles & created some very dynamic video even though it is the lower quality camera. I have mastered all of the intelligent flight modes. Occasionally I fly Litchi. I have replaced the skin on my P3S after a crash that cracked one of the arms & upgraded my RC with Argtek antennas.

Other Mavic & P3 & P4 owners I know, though, insist on calling me a “newbie” even though their birds have obstacle avoidance & other features that make their birds easier to fly. I don’t get it. I have studied/mastered/follow the FAA guidelines. With only one significant crash, at what point am I no longer a “newbie”?

If you are referring to the forums as calling you a "newbie", it may be from the lack of posts and your join date. That really has no bearing on your own personal experience level, so just take it with a grain of salt.......It's nothing personal I assure you. ;)

First I thought "Well, after a month, I won't be a noob."

Then I thought "Okay, after three months, I won't be a noob."

Then I thought, "Alright, one year, then I will no longer be a noob."

Then I thought, "Surely after two full years, I won't be a noob."

I'm still a noob. :-(

After 6 mos.
You then transition to a Novice.

YMMV
;)

Reactions: FlashBuddy
When you stop driving your drone and start flying perhaps but what do I know, I’m a newbie?

When you start helping others with their problems.

I’ve been helping others, I’ve also been helping with drone legislation. Next week will be my one year mark. I generally don’t post videos to public forums like You Tube because I don’t want to be accused of violating privacy of others or flying in state parks where it is not clear whether drone flights are permitted.

I guess I’m asking:’except for a couple of extra modes. Are there special skills that I am missing by moving up to the more advanced models? DJI seems to market the P3S to beginners while it seems to take less skill to fly the more expensive models.

I’ve been helping others, I’ve also been helping with drone legislation. Next week will be my one year mark. I generally don’t post videos to public forums like You Tube because I don’t want to be accused of violating privacy of others or flying in state parks where it is not clear whether drone flights are permitted.

I guess I’m asking:’except for a couple of extra modes. Are there special skills that I am missing by moving up to the more advanced models? DJI seems to market the P3S to beginners while it seems to take less skill to fly the more expensive models.
That’s DJI ploy to make more sells. People should buy a drone for their need. I think p3 is perfect for most people ‘s needs. People let things bother them and have to move up because of peer pressure. Some use the p3 as a learning drone to see if it is what they want. Many into photography find out they want a better camera. Some just have a big ego and have to have the biggest and best. I’m one of those. Really I am.

That’s DJI ploy to make more sells. People should buy a drone for their need. I think p3 is perfect for most people ‘s needs. People let things bother them and have to move up because of peer pressure. Some use the p3 as a learning drone to see if it is what they want. Many into photography find out they want a better camera. Some just have a big ego and have to have the biggest and best. I’m one of those. Really I am.

It took me several months to begin using course-lock & Home-lock when I lost track of the drone. I’ve never had issues with RTH or fly-sways. I suppose as my drone gets past 200 flights, that might change.

I learned to be more bold in asking permission. For example, we were at Mackinaw City in Michigan. There were many online references to ordinances against drone flying in city limits or near the Mackinaw Bridge. To confirm, I emailed the police chief only to find that there were no such ordinances. I assured him that I would fly according to GAA guidelines. He gave me the green light to fly.

With the power invested in me, I now promote you from Newbie to Pilot Extraordinary. Let all who read this take note and address accordingly!

Last edited:
It took me several months to begin using course-lock & Home-lock when I lost track of the drone. I’ve never had issues with RTH or fly-sways. I suppose as my drone gets past 200 flights, that might change.

I learned to be more bold in asking permission. For example, we were at Mackinaw City in Michigan. There were many online references to ordinances against drone flying in city limits or near the Mackinaw Bridge. To confirm, I emailed the police chief only to find that there were no such ordinances. I assured him that I would fly according to GAA guidelines. He gave me the green light to fly.

That in itself shows a responsible attitude and sense that indicates you are NOT a Newbie.

My RC hobby covers so many different types of model ... from boats, cars, gliders through Helis, Multi Rotors and most types of fixed wing .. multi engined, glow, gasoline, electric ...

Some I am definitely a Newbie ... some I've been at for so long it pales into distant past !! Am I good at any of them ? Not really - because of the diversity - I do not explore one type to its extreme. But it appears that you may have with your P3S.

Is the P3P easier to fly than a P3S ? Not in my book. Its no different really ... just has better range. Well actually my P3S after modification makes my P3P look positively tethered to Home Point !! My P3S exceeded 5km and my P3P will do about 2km average.

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl