Whats your Range on your P3P ?

I'm getting the same - 2200ft - not LOS though since the bird was at 250ft, and I live in a densely populated and flat city. I might try climbing higher next time ...see if that helps.

No clean line of sight means not a very far flight as the signal is getting blocked by whatever obstacle is between you and the phantom. The father you get the more likely that will happen so you have to fly higher in those situations if you need to get father. Also proper antenna orientation is important

Reactions: Steve Shead
I'm seeing the common factor here is LOS - I won't get that here unless I go up in the hills, or top of a building somewhere. Seriously thinking about doing the DBS Mod.

Start with home made windsurfer antenna it should give you all the extra range you need. And you save yourself he hassle and risk of modding your remote.

Start with home made windsurfer antenna it should give you all the extra range you need. And you save yourself he hassle and risk of modding your remote.

I'm new and have not heard of the windsurfer antenna - I'll go research that - do you have a link handy?

Here's video which also has a link in the description to the thread on here about it as well as link to templates for making your own.

Thanks BenDronePilot - very much appreciated!

10,087 ft. Stock
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440999489.732361.jpg

My first pre-production P3 that I managed to get before DJI released P3 to the public went 12000 feet on its first flight. Imagine the thrill of flying that far - I had never flown a UAV that far and I had a aircraft that was like gold dust.. This was in April 2015 - since then have really enjoyed modding the P3 Pro and flying far. One of best platforms DJI have produced so far.

Stock it fly far if the conditions are good, modded it will go insane distances like 10 miles

image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: D4T_PoM
It's no secret LOS = greater range.
There's another factor, you need few trees or other obstructions close to your take off point, as they attenuate the signal even when you still have line of sight.
There's no doubt from a good location you are limited by the battery not the radio range even straight out of the box.
I've been out to around 10,000 feet and pottered about looking at stuff there like it was just over the field.
The solid video feed gives you great confidence further out than you would dream of going with the P2s.

UK flyer, decided to go for a long flight. This is how far my phantom got. 2.6 miles full video had to turn round for battery reasons. But on the way back lost reception for some reason and my bird flew home. A bit of arse nipping for a bit though.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1441015987.835457.jpg

How far you fly will vary DRASTICALLY depending on the area you fly, how much RF interference is next to you and interference your Phantom flys though. Also flying too low or letting things blocking clean line of site will also reduce range.

With that said at a local NYC park I flew one and quarter mile out using my home made windsurfer and still had full signal at that distance.

Additional info, I have he full 32 channels available on my DJI Go app and used a clean channel for the flight as opposed to one of the noisy 13-20 channels. And my altitude was between 300 and 400 feet high.
On My Older Pilot app I am only seeing 13-20 not 32 is this a setting? I only see 13-30 on my ipad with the GO app!

Are you guys leaving the Image transmitting setting on Auto or picking your number of freq in the app? I am wondering people say they can get 32 channels I only see 13-20 on both apps ( Go and Pilot ) is there another setting to open up the other channels?

Although I don't use it myself, there is a whole thread on the "more channel hack". By installing this hack you pick up the extra channels but you have to select the channel rather than letting the software select the best setting. Also, you should know that the hack actually moves the transmission outside of the legally available range for broadcast. It's not really a big deal but you should be aware of it.

Although I don't use it myself, there is a whole thread on the "more channel hack". By installing this hack you pick up the extra channels but you have to select the channel rather than letting the software select the best setting. Also, you should know that the hack actually moves the transmission outside of the legally available range for broadcast. It's not really a big deal but you should be aware of it.
Thank you.. Ill look for this thread..

Are you guys leaving the Image transmitting setting on Auto or picking your number of freq in the app? I am wondering people say they can get 32 channels I only see 13-20 on both apps ( Go and Pilot ) is there another setting to open up the other channels?

Watch this for more info

Auto will only pick from the original few channels. Its best to pick a channel that has a clean channel on both sides of it.

5,2km the limit was the requested battery for returning. I attach the screenshot of the flight record.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1441047933.778436.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj