What's up with DJI

Reaction score
I am still trying to figure out what is going on with DJI? On one hand, they are the largest drone manufacturer out there. On the other hand, it seems like they have started to steer away from drones... P4P V2, out of stock for months, announcement that Phantom line is dead, then announcement that its not. Talk about a Spark 2 coming out, then internal memo that it is on hold indefinitely coupled with massive internal accounting fraud last year? Coming from a large company, these types of sudden or un-expected communications, supply and road map changes are usually NOT a sign of a healthy company. Not that I think DJI is collapsing, since after all, they did recently launch a new Mavic, and a new action camera.... maybe they have just bitten off more than they can handle trying to compete in multiple different arenas. Anyway... what do you guys (and gals) think? Its always interesting to hear other people's opinions on this topic.

Simple answer.
They think the way they want to.
Do I think the fraud thing bothered them? No, just another news story.
Think how many companies have that issue and never let the public in on it.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
They may be like any successful business. Expanding in related directions. What they produce just might be the best. I have a Phantom 4 and never had an issue. Just bought the Osmo Action Camera. I have a GoPro Hero 4 Black, and there is NO comparison. ..Action Cam is soooo much better.
Like any upward moving successful company; they will have growing pains. They seem to be on top of the game.

Phantom line is dead? What is the latest from DJI?
The latest from DJI is that they don't communicate such things with lowly users.
They haven't made any Phantoms since November and they gave a lame explanation that it was due to a parts shortage.
What news has come out from DJI is vague and contradictory, raising more questions than it answered.
Meantime batteries are getting hard to find - again, there's nothing coming from DJI relating to this.

I am still trying to figure out what is going on with DJI? On one hand, they are the largest drone manufacturer out there. On the other hand, it seems like they have started to steer away from drones... P4P V2, out of stock for months, announcement that Phantom line is dead, then announcement that its not. Talk about a Spark 2 coming out, then internal memo that it is on hold indefinitely coupled with massive internal accounting fraud last year? Coming from a large company, these types of sudden or un-expected communications, supply and road map changes are usually NOT a sign of a healthy company. Not that I think DJI is collapsing, since after all, they did recently launch a new Mavic, and a new action camera.... maybe they have just bitten off more than they can handle trying to compete in multiple different arenas. Anyway... what do you guys (and gals) think? Its always interesting to hear other people's opinions on this topic.
What I think is that there's no point in speculation. They don't leak information and that's for a good reason...competition. They make excellent products and I just wait to see what's next. There was no official announcement either way about the Phantom line being ended. It may sure look that way and it may indeed be true, but again what's the point of any consternation over it. My take is that if the Phantom line is indeed dead, then there will be a capable product right behind it to fill the void.

Reactions: Matho and MaxE1955!
What I think is that there's no point in speculation. They don't leak information and that's for a good reason...competition. They make excellent products and I just wait to see what's next. There was no official announcement either way about the Phantom line being ended. It may sure look that way and it may indeed be true, but again what's the point of any consternation over it. My take is that if the Phantom line is indeed dead, then there will be a capable product right behind it to fill the void.
I agree... they don't need to communicate their road map. But regarding the Phantom line being ended, that did come from one of their leaders.. not an official communication, but they did say it on a webcast interview, and then subsequently they said it wasn't. But for example.. the P4P v2, being out of stock for 6 months.. it would be good for them to say what's going on. If nothing else, it would help people who might be waiting on that to come back in stock to move on to something else. I personally have been wanting one, and finally ended up buying it from a different source.

I am not disputing that they have great products, just wish they had better communications

I agree... they don't need to communicate their road map. But regarding the Phantom line being ended, that did come from one of their leaders.. not an official communication, but they did say it on a webcast interview, and then subsequently they said it wasn't. But for example.. the P4P v2, being out of stock for 6 months.. it would be good for them to say what's going on. If nothing else, it would help people who might be waiting on that to come back in stock to move on to something else. I personally have been wanting one, and finally ended up buying it from a different source.

I am not disputing that they have great products, just wish they had better communications
It's a shame. Phantom 4 is the best product they ever produced.
Too bad.

I’m still on for the P5.
My thoughts are they are still working out the details on the camera setup.
I’m not convinced they would buy into the Hassleblad company to build just one camera.

Given the time between Phantoms ceasing production and lack of future planning, what I find interesting is that no other company has made a significant move into the market.

It's a shame. Phantom 4 is the best product they ever produced.
Too bad.
yeah... I had the P3 Pro, sold it when the Mavic 2 Pro came out...then just picked up a 10 hr. used P4P v2 and really like flying it more than the Mavic.. I would still take the Mavic if I was going on a trip since its much more compact, but I like flying the Phantom better. I do hope they don't abandon the line.

I’m still on for the P5.
My thoughts are they are still working out the details on the camera setup.
I’m not convinced they would buy into the Hassleblad company to build just one camera.
Im with you.. even if they don't call it a Phantom, they need something more solid and stable than the Mavic.

Reactions: Razoraerial
Given the time between Phantoms ceasing production and lack of future planning, what I find interesting is that no other company has made a significant move into the market.
The P4 pro was released a little over 2.5 yrs old now and no other maker has attempted to match it yet.

I’ve been wondering about this too. I wonder if all the new regulations and the fraud have them going in another direction? No phantom 5, spark long in the tooth, smart remote still limited production, hmmm

Reactions: Basspig
The P4 pro was released a little over 2.5 yrs old now and no other maker has attempted to match it yet.
GoPro tried and failed in the attempt. I agree with others though, unless the Government continues to tighten its stranglehold on hobbyist, someone will fill the void. If the hobby fails, it will not be for lack interest or even price of hardware, it will be because the it was regulated to death.

GoPro tried and failed in the attempt.
After two years in development, GoPro released a drone that wasn't competitive against DJI's P3 series that had been out for 1.5 yrs.
The other makers have had trouble matching DJI's technology and products, let alone coming up with anything new.

Meantime batteries are getting hard to find - again, there's nothing coming from DJI relating to this.
That is the most important part. I cant believe they will stop producing the batteries. Why are not being manufactured? It is so weird. I wrote to them last week. They answered , as usual, very vague: "we do apologize as you experienced this inconvenience"...."I will be inquiring the availability of this Intelligent Flight Battery to our inventory team" no concrete answer of wether they will be available or when they will be available. It is so sad that such great products, I have been using my P4Pro V2 almost daily for 2 years without any issue, have that poor support.

Guys, they are Chinese. Period. That is the way they do business. Secrets, spying, misdirection, is the way the Chinese think. You won’t get the truth no matter what you do. I agree with PhantomFandom, speculation in pointless.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic