What's the difference?

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a Phantom 4 but I cant really tell the difference between the P4 and the P4P. Can anyone tell me what the differences are?

Per the P4P FAQ:

"The Phantom 4 Pro redefines the iconic Phantom series, bringing imaging and intelligence to new heights. Its uprated camera shoots 4K/60fps at a bitrate of 100Mbps and stills up to 20-megapixels, creating dramatically better images. The FlightAutonomy system adds dual rear vision sensors and two Time of Flight range imaging cameras for a total of 5 directions of obstacle sensing with a range of up to 30m in all directions. The upgraded Lightbridge HD video transmission system offers an extended maximum transmission range of 4.3mi (7km) and also enables you to switch between 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz. It can also be used with an optional integrated monitor for even more reliable transmission. Operators are also further empowered with a new suite of ActiveTrack and TapFly functions. The aircraft’s Intelligent Flight Battery also have increased capacity by 520mAh to enable an extended flight time of 30 minutes."

What msinger says. I put it this way: It has about a mile longer range capability. It has a longer flight time-one and probably the main reason is that it has a larger capacity battery. It has a better camera all the way around. It has infrared sensors added on both sides and obstacle avoidance cameras on the back now in addition to the front and bottom obstacle avoidance cameras and sonar sensors on the bottom, and it can fly about 12 miles faster while using crash avoidance. It has a more sophisticated return to home function where it will retrace its path. It has more flight modes. All of that plus other features not coming to mind right now.

Even though it is better in many ways, I won't upgrade unless I have to replace my current P4 for unseen reasons. I hope I can make it to the Phantom 5 release before having to upgrade.

Reactions: NoBiffBetter
Range.jpg

I'm wondering how you concluded P4P has another mile range versus P4. Can you point me to the evidence?
Thanks msinger. From DJI site: Phantom 4 -Fly for 28 minutes, an increase in effective flight time of 25% from the Phantom 3 Professional. Enjoy 3.1mi (5km) of range, with complete control and a live 720p HD view of everything the camera sees.

Phantom 4 Pro -2.400 GHz - 2.483 GHz(Unobstruoted, free of interference)
FCC: 4.3mi (7km);

Oh that. We'll we all know that DJI distance spec isn't worth the paper it's printed on. I'm surprised you posted it as evidence.:D

I thought maybe someone actually had some flight comparisons demonstrating the P4P is getting a mile more than P4. That would make me happy. I'll continue to wait for believable data from this forum, not from DJI specs.

We'll we all know that DJI distance spec isn't worth the paper it's printed on. I'm surprised you posted it as evidence.
Next up -- the battery doesn't last 30 minutes either. Go ahead... I'll wait right here ;)

I can only go with company specs and experience.

Also, I just got back from another Tap2Fly distance run, but this time it was on Go 3.1.1 or whatever the latest one is. I went out 20,226'(3.83 miles) with a round trip of 40,494'(7.669 miles). Again, it was south from my house so it is mostly over relatively flat and empty desert and the breeze was lighter than earlier today. That beats the 3.1 miles listed by DJI, so I'm hoping that new dual frequency range or whatever magic DJI came up with Lightbridge which will stretch out the P4P's range that much farther than what they list.

I just got back from another Tap2Fly distance run, but this time it was on Go 3.1.1 or whatever the latest one is. I went out 20,226'(3.83 miles) with a round trip of 40,494'(7.669 miles). Again, it was south from my house so it is mostly over relatively flat and empty desert and the breeze was lighter than earlier today.
That's a great flight. Is that without a Windsurfer? I've only managed 18,000' range with Windsurfer, but I cheat with an Inspire controller, 50% more signal strength. I'll have to dig out my GL300C and try it with the latest firmware and Go app, maybe try GO4 also. I don't have the advantage of your desert desolation to promote distance, but I do test in non-inhabited areas, hills, valleys and open land with no obstructions.

Next up -- the battery doesn't last 30 minutes either. Go ahead... I'll wait right here ;)
Funny... but I think I can do 30min, and I hope to get this on video soon. It will entail using about 25 party balloons attached to the craft, in a low hover. I think I can get there. :D:D

That's a great flight. Is that without a Windsurfer? I've only managed 18,000' range with Windsurfer, but I cheat with an Inspire controller, 50% more signal strength. I'll have to dig out my GL300C and try it with the latest firmware and Go app, maybe try GO4 also. I don't have the advantage of your desert desolation to promote distance, but I do test in non-inhabited areas, hills, valleys and open land with no obstructions.

I've been using Skyreat copper windsurfers and the 32 channel hack for most of my flights. As you know, the 32 channel hack doesn't work for the my Litchi or Go 4 flights, but even so, I got similar distance performance between the two Go apps. Is the 32 channel hack relevant any more? I just don't know.

Back to the OP, there are good deals on the P4, but if I was in the market today, I'd try to wait for the Phantom 5 because the upgrades over the Phantom 4 just aren't that much of a plus to me.

I've been using Skyreat copper windsurfers and the 32 channel hack for most of my flights. As you know, the 32 channel hack doesn't work for the my Litchi or Go 4 flights, but even so, I got similar distance performance between the two Go apps. Is the 32 channel hack relevant any more? I just don't know.

Gadget Guy loaded the 32ch Hack into the GO4 app and it appears to show the channels and work. I think he's on Android. Did yours not work?

Gadget Guy loaded the 32ch Hack into the GO4 app and it appears to show the channels and work. I think he's on Android. Did yours not work?
It didn't show it working a couple of days ago when I was messing with the app, so I manually set it on channel 20. Even though I flew with it yesterday, I didn't check to see if the hack was working at the time. I will probably mess with it tomorrow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.