What's next from DJI? FCC search results

Reaction score
With the mid-week discounts ending tomorrow, there's been speculation that a new Phantom is coming out very soon. I searched the FCC's application database to try to get some clues about what might be coming next. TL;DR: I don't think we'll see anything come out at least for the next few weeks.

You can search FCC applications here: https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ ... Search.cfm. Type "DJI tech" in the applicant name box and that'll return all DJI's applications. Or you can just go here for a more convenient list: http://fccid.net/business.php?id=SS3.

Let's see how DJI handled the launches of the Inspire 1 and the Phantom V3.

Inspire 1

The application for the quad was SS3-WM6101410, filed on 10/31/2014. The C1 controller application was SS3-GL6581410, filed on the same date. DJI announced the Inspire 1 on 11/13/2014, two weeks after filing the application.

Phantom 2 V3

The application for the new V3 TX was SS3-WM300U24G, filed on 10/17/2014. The P2V+ V3 was announced on 10/31/2014, so again, about two weeks after the application.

What's next?

So... what applications are in the pipeline?

There are just two applications from this year, both filed 2/15/2015, for what looks like a new version of the Inspire 1 TX: SS3-GL6581502. The original TX (the "C1") had model number GL658A. This new one has model number GL658B, which you can see on the "FCC ID Label" attachment. So that suggests DJI will release a new version of the TX for the Inspire 1 at the beginning of March...

Curiously, there's an erroneous FCC ID SS3-GL3001501 on fccid.net for the SS3GL6581502 application, that could be a mistake, or perhaps there might be a version of the new TX designed for the Phantom (with model number GL300, compare V3 TX model number WM300)... the user manual pages associated with the application definitely show the Inspire 1, but you never know. We'll see!

Just those two applications this year though, so I don't think anything else will come along in the next few weeks.

I'm not sure how the Phantom Vision+ can get any better for it's price range, outside of maybe a 4K camera system. So I wouldnt be surprised if DJI stops development on it this year. I'm not believing any hype about collision-avoidance systems or LIDAR because those technologies have a long way to go with miniaturization and cost reduction before they are viable for this niche of UAVs.

It probably depends on competitors' products, but if the price of the Inspire gets below $2,000 this year then I would think most new customers will buy that instead of a Vision or Vision+ at half the cost. For the near future, I think the only real killer app for these machines is 1080p FPV using HD goggles like Samsung Gear VR.

2160p FPV would be mind-blowing. :shock:

Their next product will be a debugged Inspire.

They've joined the micro 4/3 consortium so you can probably expect something there. Really think they should have partnered with GoPro instead of trying to be an imaging company.

On a related note, I'd really like to see GoPro come out with a micro 4/3 camera system that can record 100Mbps with different lens options.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj