What's currently the best place to sell personal drone footage?

Reaction score
I've seen a couple of sites that'll sell drone footage, but what is the best right now in terms of pay?

Is it correct that if one is acting as "citizen photojournalist"
one can sell images part-time without "107" license...?
Those images must be for editorial usage only...?
(vs. commercial usage as defined in US)

I don't think so. It doesn't matter if you do it part time or full time, if the flight wasn't strictly for fun, you have to be 107.

Isn't that outdated?
Link = 2012 document requesting comments from public:

"This action provides interested persons with the opportunity to comment on the FAA’s interpretation of the special rule for model aircraft established by Congress in the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012..."

"I don't think so" = guessing...
Well, since I'm not an attorney, I know better than to give definitive advice - that could get me in trouble.

In 2015 FAA stated Youtube videos posted by drone hobbyists
were illegal commercial usage because Youtube has advertising...:
The FAA Says You Can't Post Drone Videos on YouTube
Is Youtube now devoid of hobbyist videos.
I think not. Why not? Youtube publishing
is no different than media publishing, AFAIK.
You are quoting old and outdated news articles.
The FAA does not object to you posting on Youtube.
The FAA & Youtube story is often quoted but is not true.
The story comes from March 2015 when one FAA official overstepped his authority.
The FAA clarified the situation soon after.
Read all about it here: FAA Admits That They Shouldn't Be Ordering People To Delete Drone Videos

Your other quote was from back when the FAA was just starting to allow commercial use - but you had to have an actual plane licence!

To answer your original question, the FAA has said that if you are lucky enough to have caught something special while recreational flying, that news media would pay for, it is allowable to sell the image or video.
But that doesn't mean you can go out hunting newsworthy material and selling it whenever you get something.
If you do it more than just once or twice, it's going to look like you are flying with the intention of getting saleable material and thus a 107 certification would be required.
It's easy to get a 107 though, just do it.

If your intent when you take/make the flight is to sell the pictures and videos, then part-time or otherwise, this does not fall under the hobby "exemption". (Note that all of this may/will change with the new law that was enacted this month.)

If you take pictures and videos occasionally, and then a news service (or someone else) offers to purchase them, then you would be okay.

Intent is important.

Reactions: Zymurgist

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues