What to use for an FAA Registration Number

Reaction score
I registered my P4P+ with the FAA today and had a question about marking the Drone.

1) what do you use for marking the registration number, materials and best way to apply?
2) what size letters/numbers?
3) where should it be marked?
4) does the registration number need more than 1 location?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Ron

Most of us like to put the FA number inside the battery compartment. I printed it with my desktop printer and used packing tape and placed it on the interior starboard bulkhead. Size isn't important as long as it's readable. One location is wonderful.

I registered my P4P+ with the FAA today and had a question about marking the Drone.

1) what do you use for marking the registration number, materials and best way to apply?
2) what size letters/numbers?
3) where should it be marked?
4) does the registration number need more than 1 location?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Ron
Not to be controversial, but others have just written it on each of their batteries used in the aircraft. The guidelines are by any means necessary to ensure it is available for the duration of the flight, including inside the battery compartment. You get to choose where and how the number appears, as long as no tools are necessary to find it.:cool:

Not to be controversial, but others have just written it on each of their batteries used in the aircraft. The guidelines are by any means necessary to ensure it is available for the duration of the flight, including inside the battery compartment. You get to choose where and how the number appears, as long as no tools are necessary to find it.:cool:

Thanks for the helpful reply, certainly easier that way!!!!

Reactions: GadgetGuy
1. I have a label maker and made small labels with the number. On my Phantom, I put it on one of the legs. On my Mavic and Spark, I put the number inside the battery compartment. You can label it with anything. You could use a piece of masking tape and Sharpie marker.

2. Doesn't matter what size. Just should be readable.

3. Anywhere. The rules only state that it has to be accessible without needing tools.

4. No.

It needn't be pretty. Legibility is the only requirement. Handwritten Sharpie on tape is fine, too, as mentioned above!:cool:

Indeed, a bit of controversy has arisen lately regarding this topic - with this thread:

The PD checked my FAA numbers on my Drone !

Some understand that the number must be written on the aircraft. Others believe the number can be written on a battery since the battery becomes part of the aircraft when in flight.

However, see msinger's post here: The PD checked my FAA numbers on my Drone !

In the post linked above, msinger has provided a link and effectively pointed out that the language of this rule is a bit different than the language used in other areas of the FAA site, and it's also different than the language posted in Post #3 (sorry GG). FAA often uses the phrase "duration of the flight" elsewhere on their site, but in this situation, the language used substitutes the word "flight" for the word "operation." You might ask yourself why that may be? It seems logical that FAA used "operation" instead of "flight" because FAA understands that there are more than a few model flights which end in disaster (e.g. batteries pop out of aircrafts mid-flight, or crashes occur where the aircraft is found without a battery, etc.).

The actual statement reads:

"The unique identifier must be affixed to the small unmanned aircraft by any means necessary to ensure that it will remain affixed for the duration of each operation."

It's obvious this is a carefully crafted statement. The key phrases are "unique identifier", "aircraft", "any means necessary to ensure..." and "remain affixed for the duration of each operation."

Since we know from harsh experience reading posts on this site and others that a battery can become dislodged from an aircraft during flight, it's clear that placing an FA number on a battery would not ensure that the FA number would remain affixed to the aircraft for the duration of the operation.

Hence, one might conclude that the reason the FAA wants the pilot to adhere the FA number to the aircraft itself, rather than just an aircraft's battery, is so as to ensure the FA number will be found in any wreckage.
With all due respect, Mark, that's reading an awful lot into wording that is very clear on its face, and requires multiple suppositions to arrive at the possible conclusion that is unsupported by the actual statement.

Your hoops include...

1. "seems logical"
2. "It's obvious this is a carefully crafted statement"
3. "It's clear"
4. "one might conclude"

"The unique identifier must be affixed to the small unmanned aircraft by any means necessary to ensure that it will remain affixed for the duration of each operation."

Nowhere are crashes mentioned as being a factor in where and how the FA number is to be affixed. That is purely hypothetical on @msinger's part to justify his wrong conclusion. The statement is not cleverly crafted. It is written to be read literally. The duration of each operation does not include a crash. If you have to read something like an assumption of a crash into the statement in order to justify your interpretation, then your interpretation of the statement is not what the drafter's intended. Ambiguity is construed against the author in law and in contacts. Putting your number on the battery will never be considered a violation of this statement. @msinger has a very vivid imagination and no understanding of the law. He still maintains that Amazon LLC is not an authorized DJI Dealer, despite the fact that DJI confirms that they are, and Amazon also says they are. :rolleyes: It allows @msinger to justify his steering you only to his Amazon affiliate links, by falsely claiming Amazon LLC is not an authorized DJI Dealer!

Come on gang... let's not drag this similar thread into the ditches like the PD checked my registration one. Links to that thread are posted above.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers