The PD checked my FAA numbers on my Drone !

Reaction score
A few days ago while i was at a nice local public park that i fly from quite often and....i had just took off and was only about 50 feet out and climbing when the local police stopped and asked me to land as they wanted to verify that i had my FAA numbers on the drone....I promptly brought it back landed and shut it down and we walked to it and i held it up and showed him my FAA numbers ...also on the numbers was the date i got them and the expiration date too...He then thanked me and told to have a nice flight.....any body else been challenged like i was ? I'm sure glad that the drone had the FAA numbers...Not sure what would have took place IF i didn't after all its a Federal Law ! Soooooooo all you guys that dont have your FFA numbers its time that you spent $5.00 and got them !

FAADroneZone

A few days ago while i was at a nice local public park that i fly from quite often and....i had just took off and was only about 50 feet out and climbing when the local police stopped and asked me to land as they wanted to verify that i had my FAA numbers on the drone....I promptly brought it back landed and shut it down and we walked to it and i held it up and showed him my FAA numbers ...also on the numbers was the date i got them and the expiration date too...He then thanked me and told to have a nice flight.....any body else been challenged like i was ? I'm sure glad that the drone had the FAA numbers...Not sure what would have took place IF i didn't after all its a Federal Law ! Soooooooo all you guys that dont have your FFA numbers its time that you spent $5.00 and got them !

FAADroneZone

Below is link ito what LEOs have been given by the FAA.

As always, it's up the the individual LEO's discretion as to how they choose to pursue alleged violators.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/law_enforcement/media/LEO_guidance_card.pdf

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
It's my understanding that they're not supposed to interrupt your flight unless you're in violation. They're supposed to wait until you land.

And that makes sense since once you land, that battery is no good for flying without a recharge.

Also - somebody once posted that a LEO doesn't have the right to ask for anything without a violation, regardless of whether he waits. Some kind of constitutional issue.

Many municipalities will pass drone ordinances that will mimic FAA FARS and of course add
their own restrictions (prohibited operations in certain parks, around government buildings, etc.) Where I live there's at least 3 towns/ cities that have done this.

In the bigger picture, I attended an FAA Safety seminar a few weeks ago and one of the FAA folks told me that they are hoping (due to a lack of manning) that local LE will be the major contributor to the enforcement of drone related FARS. They are also hoping that local LE will notify FSDO offices when blatant and dangerous drone activity occurs. Yes, local police may become the "drone police."

Last edited:
It's my understanding that they're not supposed to interrupt your flight unless you're in violation. They're supposed to wait until you land.

And that makes sense since once you land, that battery is no good for flying without a recharge.

Also - somebody once posted that a LEO doesn't have the right to ask for anything without a violation, regardless of whether he waits. Some kind of constitutional issue.

In the FARS aside the FAA, the only agency you have to present any airman's certificate is LE, I would presume this would apply to show evidence of registration. In the case of a hobbyist I don't think this argument would hold up especially if there is a local drone ordinance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nightwolf

I'm sure there are some exceptions, but generally I'm not aware of any situation where you must not comply with with law enforcement instructions. That exposes you to further charges.

Of course in the case(s) of those (possible) exceptions all that can be settled in court.

Can you link to your suspicion of constitutionality?

That would be helpful so as not to risk emboldening the ignorant

Reactions: FLYBOYJ

FAADroneZone

What town/ part of the country did this occur?

Guidance doesn’t equal laws...Correct? How does a local LEO enforce a federal set of guidances that are not law? In the example listed, there was no “suspicion of dangerous or reckless behavior”. Why would they force him to land and ask for a federal registration #? Boredom? Just some random thoughts after reading this.... I’m all for complying to well intended inquiries (which this seemed to be)...I am not for vague guidances that can be used to shakedown law abiding hobbyists.

Guidance doesn’t equal laws...Correct? How does a local LEO enforce a federal set of guidances that are not law? In the example listed, there was no “suspicion of dangerous or reckless behavior”. Why would they force him to land and ask for a federal registration #? Boredom? Just some random thoughts after reading this.... I’m all for complying to well intended inquiries (which this seemed to be)...I am not for vague guidances that can be used to shakedown law abiding hobbyists.

If the crux of your argument is Registration... well it'a a law, not guidance.

Act as you choose but I have no problem complying.

Easier that than having to 'appear' to prove I was (presumably) right.

If the crux of your argument is Registration... well it'a a law, not guidance.

Act as you choose but I have no problem complying.

Easier that than having to 'appear' to prove I was (presumably) right.

I get that and agree. My point was, this seems similar to a local LEO forcing someone to pull over their car and show their license based on a federal law that they could possibly not be in compliance with just “because”... No reason to pull over at all... Just decided to do it on a whim.

Heck in some areas of the country these days, (it would seem) ...One Federal law (illegal immigration) is ignored, but dang it...you better have your $5 drone reg papers!! - Somewhat j/k...but.... :)

Have a great rest of the weekend.

Last edited:
I have my numbers and two copies of my card. However I don’t have the number on my drone. What’s the best way to attach the numbers to my drone without some fancy method or equipment? Any suggestions?!

I have my numbers and two copies of my card. However I don’t have the number on my drone. What’s the best way to attach the numbers to my drone without some fancy method or equipment? Any suggestions?!

Print it out and put it in your battery compartment...

Only interaction I’ve had with the local SO while flying is the usual interest in them watching..............and then the seemingly endless questions about it. I take it all in stride though, because these guys are in harms’ way every day, and a little distraction like me flying a drone in a city park is the least of their worries.

After answering their questions, most are amazed at the technology involved in today’s ‘big-boy-toys’ and are wanting one of their own.

And, I make it a point to show them what the camera sees’ on my iPad screen......both at a distance and close up. I remind them that there is no Zoom lens. What you see is what you get. Hopefully this info will help in the future if a drone is supposedly spying on a neighbor from overhead.

Only interaction I’ve had with the local SO while flying is the usual interest in them watching..............and then the seemingly endless questions about it. I take it all in stride though, because these guys are in harms’ way every day, and a little distraction like me flying a drone in a city park is the least of their worries.

After answering their questions, most are amazed at the technology involved in today’s ‘big-boy-toys’ and are wanting one of their own.

And, I make it a point to show them what the camera sees’ on my iPad screen......both at a distance and close up. I remind them that there is no Zoom lens. What you see is what you get. Hopefully this info will help in the future if a drone is supposedly spying on a neighbor from overhead.

Thumbs up.

That was my original idea... However, I was out of label tape. LOL

Along with your handy dandy FAA number you can do a ‘Reward if Found’ label with contact info like a cell number.

Just keep it away from the kids though. My grandkids labeled anything that didn’t move!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik