What to know before flying in Mexico?

Reaction score
I'm taking a trip to a resort in Mexico over the summer, and I want to know what I have to do to legally fly in That country. I read somewhere that you have to acquire something along the lines of a drone permit, but I just wanted to know exactly what steps I should take. Thanks!!

I'm glad this question was brought up. I plan to fly my P3P in Cozumel this summer as well.

i flew in mexico last year, in Cancun at the beach, in Merida in one cenote, in san Miguel allende around town etc.... but wen i try to fly in places like chichen itza , or in teotihuacan immediately the guards come and say that you can not fly in that places without permissions....... at least I could take some pictures and videos here is the "piramide del sol"

Attachments

• teotihuacan.jpg
    teotihuacan.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 3,719
Last edited:
I'm going to Cabo San Lucas, and I read several places online that they are allowed on carry on. Even with the batteries, currently.

Cozumel and Isla Mujeres are great spots if you are visiting the Cancun area.

A few of mine from two trips last year down there:

Cozumel:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Isla Blanca & Mujeres:

I was in Puerto Vallarta last week and nobody gave me any trouble. I was sort of discreet and flew pretty high and fast (didn't hover close to anybody). I took off once from a beach that was away from any hotels (so nobody really there). I also flew a lot from my hotel when I moved to another location much further away from the airport.

There was one area (Marina) that's close to the airport so I didn't fly much there (only for about 5 minutes and brought it back down) but there was another random guy flying his drone out in the open in the middle of the beach closer to the airport than I was, etc. Although it's technically only a few miles from the airport, airplanes don't go in this area because it's full of hotel resorts so all airplanes fly another route away from here.

I stuck with US laws that I know...so I stayed under 400 ft, etc.

Reactions: James Taylor
beautiful footage damoncooper! I am going going to Mexico, Tulum area in a couple of weeks. Getting very excited. I am a newbie to drones so just getting my feet wet with some practice runs over lakes in Jersey. I have been researching whether or not to turn off the VPS system on the Phantom 3 pro when flying over water and coming up with different answers. Did you fly with the VPS on or disabled? Your footage is so fluid and cinematic. Curious if you are using any of the automated modes on the Phantom like waypoint or the litchi ap or is this all controlled by you? Its gonna take a lot of practice time on my part to get footage anywhere near this level but am eager to learn:)

beautiful footage damoncooper! I am going going to Mexico, Tulum area in a couple of weeks. Getting very excited. I am a newbie to drones so just getting my feet wet with some practice runs over lakes in Jersey. I have been researching whether or not to turn off the VPS system on the Phantom 3 pro when flying over water and coming up with different answers. Did you fly with the VPS on or disabled? Your footage is so fluid and cinematic. Curious if you are using any of the automated modes on the Phantom like waypoint or the litchi ap or is this all controlled by you? Its gonna take a lot of practice time on my part to get footage anywhere near this level but am eager to learn:)
I fly over water all the time with my P3P and have never turned the VPS off. 150 flights, no issues.

Last edited:
Hello,

I'am actually in mexico near Tulum and playa de Carmen.
Yesterday we went to chichen itza and I want to fly with my mavic, but there is no flying allowed.
They will take your drone at they're Office. -.-
Tomorrow we visit Coba and tulum. If there is a "no fly Zone" too, I will Tell you this soon.
In Valladolid ist aked an officer how to fly, and He bring me to the "directora de comunicacion social" - L.C.C Alicia Martinez Morales, and she sayd she wants a copy from The pictures, so she allowed flying. But she still stands near to you and watch.

Sry for my bad english.
Greez

Last edited:
Reactions: Drone Diva
I was in Puerto Vallarta last week and nobody gave me any trouble. I was sort of discreet and flew pretty high and fast (didn't hover close to anybody). I took off once from a beach that was away from any hotels (so nobody really there). I also flew a lot from my hotel when I moved to another location much further away from the airport.

There was one area (Marina) that's close to the airport so I didn't fly much there (only for about 5 minutes and brought it back down) but there was another random guy flying his drone out in the open in the middle of the beach closer to the airport than I was, etc. Although it's technically only a few miles from the airport, airplanes don't go in this area because it's full of hotel resorts so all airplanes fly another route away from here.

I stuck with US laws that I know...so I stayed under 400 ft, etc.

Not sure how I missed this post.
We're going to PV next week and staying in the marina. I flew there last year without any issues.
I'll post a video when I get back.

Hello Damon
Wonderful pictures . Do you mind me asking about exposures and filters used. Also software. I am new to Phantom 4 but am an amateur Photographer and new to video software. There are so many out there. Sorry for asking and understand if you do not wish to respond.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I flew in the Mayan Riveria no problems. I've heard the are new regulations. I'm going back in 2 weeks with my phantom.

A video from my last trip.

Hello,

The security gut froh citchen itza sayd this Regulation is one week old. And They have an Signal who makes you lost your Signal froh your Drohne. A Yuneec Drohne just Fall down, so no Other drohnes ca fly jet.
If They See you flying, They will take your Drohne and you can go home without.
I'll try to talk to this idiot more than 30mins that my drone is no Yuneec ****, but He does'nt care.

Greez from Xpu-Ha

So.

Wenn went to coba ant tulum today, and now it's clear, flying in Mexiko is not allowed. You need to have an autorisathion from Mexiko City, otherwise They will confiscate your drone.

Now I'll sell my mavic. I buyed only for this Trip. This was my honeymoon :(
I hope it can help you to get no Problems.

Peace out

So.

Wenn went to coba ant tulum today, and now it's clear, flying in Mexiko is not allowed. You need to have an autorisathion from Mexiko City, otherwise They will confiscate your drone.

Now I'll sell my mavic. I buyed only for this Trip. This was my honeymoon :(
I hope it can help you to get no Problems.

Peace out
In the city? Never heard of not flying in mexico
Phantom is also less than 2kg so no permit required
Mexico issues rules on use of drones; smallest need no permit
Mexico Drone Laws
  • All drone flights must be operated in daylight only
  • There are no laws on operating drones weighing under 2kg other than they cannot be used at night
  • A permit is required for operation of drones weighing between 2kg and 25kg
  • A permit and pilot license are required for operation of drones weighing over 25kg
  • Despite the lack of Mexican drone laws you should still be careful when operating a done in Mexico. Try to maintain visual contact with your drone at all times and avoid flying over large crowds or near airports

Last edited:
In the city? Never heard of not flying in mexico
Mexico issues rules on use of drones; smallest need no permit
Mexico Drone Laws
  • All drone flights must be operated in daylight only
  • There are no laws on operating drones weighing under 2kg other than they cannot be used at night
  • A permit is required for operation of drones weighing between 2kg and 25kg
  • A permit and pilot license are required for operation of drones weighing over 25kg
  • Despite the lack of Mexican drone laws you should still be careful when operating a done in Mexico. Try to maintain visual contact with your drone at all times and avoid flying over large crowds or near airports

This is what I understand also. I'm flying into Cancun in 2 weeks. I'll be taking the phantom as I did last year with no problems at all. I'll update the thread on my experience.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.