What to do with another aircraft in the area

Reaction score
While I was flying recently (I was under the 400' recommended ceiling) I encountered a helicopter - I believe it was a Medivac helicopter - that had a flight path that somewhat intersected with where my copter was. I immediately increased altitude to ensure enough of a buffer between the helicopter and my Phantom but I was wondering what is the best course of action for situations like this? I know some aircrafts are equipped with crash avoidance systems and it will notify one pilot to pull up and the other to descend but obviously we don't have that available to us. I'd especially love hear from airman.

I just call dibs on the airspace. Make them move.

Reactions: acherman
I suppose it all depends on yours and their altitude, ideally I'd prefer to try get below an aircraft rather than above it you might even be quicker to fly sideways away from them but I suppose getting as much distance between you and them as quick as possible would be the main priority.

Reactions: Trumple
Shoot it down with your sidewinders.

Its likely that if you were anywhere close while a heli flew by, if you were above or below, you would be flown out if the sky! You think prop vortex is an issue when descending quickly in a Phantom you don't want to guess whats under a real heli! I would suggest, for EVERYONES safety, that you get out of the sky! I just retired from a National Guard Medivac unit. We fly EVERYWHERE at 100 to 200 ft at 120 130 MPH. A quad in the air would cause some real issues!

Any quad you are going to be flying, in a non-military application, will not register on an actual aircrafts flight avoidance system. There is a complete LRU, Antenna, and Code system involved for aircraft that transmits flight data, including altitude to the other plane so proper calls can be made in that event. The likelihood of even showing up on my aircraft radar is fairly slim due to the low profile and lack of metal on a Phantom. You best bet is normally to descend, as a normal pilot will climb to avoid birds, kites, and the like. They have a larger fear of the ground at that height.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
While I was flying recently (I was under the 400' recommended ceiling) I encountered a helicopter - I believe it was a Medivac helicopter - that had a flight path that somewhat intersected with where my copter was. I immediately increased altitude to ensure enough of a buffer between the helicopter and my Phantom but I was wondering what is the best course of action for situations like this? I know some aircrafts are equipped with crash avoidance systems and it will notify one pilot to pull up and the other to descend but obviously we don't have that available to us. I'd especially love hear from airman.

The town aint big enough for 2 aircrafts. Battle and see who comes out on top

To all you pilots... What's the outcome of a phantom and a heli or passenger airliner collision???

Blackhawks, Kiowa, Chinooks all have no radar, and no flight data transmission systems. Just for the record...

I would bet that most medical rescue birds have no radar either.

There is no discussion on this... you DESCEND away from the manned aircraft at once. Manned aircraft ALWAYS have the right of way over unmanned, period. As most Medivacs fly low on long approach you can easily be in their way below 400', they do have a lookout, in fact helicopter crew are always on the lookout for 'Fast Movers' but not drones exactly.
Note: They are not called Medivac by military any longer, they are MAST units (I was in the 2nd Plt 502 MAST Co), in Nam we just called them 'DustOff'

Blackhawks, Kiowa, Chinooks all have no radar, and no flight data transmission systems. Just for the record...

I would bet that most medical rescue birds have no radar either.

Having spent 13 years as an Avionics Tech on MH60's I will tell you with 100% certainty you are wrong. There is most definitely a radar as well as an IFF system(Flight data transmission system, for you) on each of those helicopters.

Reactions: F6Rider
Having spent 13 years as an Avionics Tech on MH60's I will tell you with 100% certainty you are wrong. There is most definitely a radar as well as an IFF system(Flight data transmission system, for you) on each of those helicopters.

Not in National Guard models

Are we a true hazard to helicopters and airplanes? I cant help but wonder. If you think about how small phantoms are and how there is so much sky and different altitudes, angles, etc..... Seems like a 1 in 10 million chance.

Reactions: skyhighdiver

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31