What tablet to use ??

Reaction score
Hello again from the rookie !! I can't seem to find the perfect tablet to use tried ipad 2 not so great.. tried my cell Galaxy S3 Note works good but I sure need a bigger screen my eyes are not so great since I got sick with GWI.. so I want a dedicated tablet just for my P3S and I soon will be getting the P4pro. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. I want to thank all of you for your thoughts and help it really helps this Rookie..
Thank you
GWI Veteran

Hello again from the rookie !! I can't seem to find the perfect tablet to use tried ipad 2 not so great.. tried my cell Galaxy S3 Note works good but I sure need a bigger screen my eyes are not so great since I got sick with GWI.. so I want a dedicated tablet just for my P3S and I soon will be getting the P4pro. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. I want to thank all of you for your thoughts and help it really helps this Rookie..
Thank you
GWI Veteran
I have an ASUS ZenPad 8 which works great with a Phantom 3. It runs Android 6. I also acquired the K1 Shield from NVIDIA running Android 7. I am partial to the Shield but continue to use the ASUS as Litchi seems to like it better than the NVIDIA.

Last edited:
I have an ASUS ZenPad 8 which works great with a Phantom 3. It runs Android 6, I also acquired the K1 Shieled from NVIDIA running Android 7. I am partial to the Shield but continue to use the ASUS as Litchi seems to like it better than the NVIDIA.
I use a IPAD mini4 for my P3A and P3P. Works great.

Brand new to this drone stuff: Am going to buy a used iPad mini 2 Wi-fi. What do I need for storage size: 16GB, 32GB, 64GB? I'm going to use the iPad as a dedicated tablet only for the P3 Standard, so it'll be doing nothing else.

I use a Ipad 2017 9.7” cellular 128 gb dedicated for flight ops. I use a Air 2 for editing and redundant backup device.

The 2017 WILL NOT display 4K video natively inside Photos. If you import it into IMovie, works fine. Apple says its supposed to, but wants me to update to IOS 11. No go! Its on 10.3.3 and will stay until they bring stability to the table.

Thats the only catch I can see. It fits in the RC cradle and has more than enough power to do the job. Larger screen is nice, easier to see and pick out detail.

BTW - I fly a P4A.

Reactions: RW8888 and Astrix
Brand new to this drone stuff: Am going to buy a used iPad mini 2 Wi-fi. What do I need for storage size: 16GB, 32GB, 64GB? I'm going to use the iPad as a dedicated tablet only for the P3 Standard, so it'll be doing nothing else.
Storage not that critical unless you're going to use it to edit. Or you plan on caching your flight video. I always turn caching off as the video on the camera is superior.

Storage not that critical unless you're going to use it to edit. Or you plan on caching your flight video. I always turn caching off as the video on the camera is superior.
Good point. However, I download the photos/videos to the ipad while onsite. Quick verification before I leave. Best to have enough space to hold everything you may have on a mission. 4K video is easily 400 - 800 mb for a minute or two. Better to be on the safe side. 64GB would be ample if you offload once home. Problem is the smaller ones are now harder to find, cause the resellers want the benjamins.

Getting alot of good information about tablets I'm just using mine t I see places I can't go to and take pictures so I just need one for reliability and clear screen. I have been trying to do videos of the woods here in Wisconsin.

While you only need a wifi model, I prefer flying with a cellular model. I get all updates, nfz info, can broadcast LIVE via Facebook, get mapping should cache get corrupt or need additional. Before I purchased my cellular model, I would use my wifi with my iPhone hotspot. I feel having a realtime connection is better. I still have my wifi model onsite as a redundant platform.

You only need wi-fi. I have two tablets that I use and neither one has cellular connectivity.
That's interesting, I have been told that the compass works off of cellular and without it the compass positioning won't work properly. Could you please tell me where you got your information and how do you know that your compass is working properly. This website is where I got my info and have trusted it to be true. I have no real proof and am not trying to correct you, just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing. Perhaps someone with much more knowledge than us could help us both out here.

That's interesting, I have been told that the compass works off of cellular and without it the compass positioning won't work properly. Could you please tell me where you got your information and how do you know that your compass is working properly. This website is where I got my info and have trusted it to be true. I have no real proof and am not trying to correct you, just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing. Perhaps someone with much more knowledge than us could help us both out here.

While I don't have "much more knowledge" than LarBear360 or rvrrat14, I can tell you for a fact that cellular has nothing to do with the compass.

LarBear knows his compass is working properly because his Phantom hasn't flown off into the nether... which is often what happens when there's a problem with the compass. ;)

I'm happy to try and clarify. I fly a P3 Standard.

The compass is installed on the AC. Nothing on the drone requires cellular service. Everything the AC is processing is sent back to the Radio Controller via the 2.4G wi-fi channel The controller is connected to your device via wi-fi for you to see the data on the app installed on your device. No cellular service is required to connect to your controller. Only wi-fi.

The way I know my compass is working properly is via the GO app. If I had compass errors the AC would send a warning via the GO app. Also, the nice lady on the app always tells me the "home point has been updated. Please check it on the map." every time before I take off. If my compass was messed up, I would see it on the map.

Hope this helps.

I do recall threads about tablets having optional GPS. I may be wrong but if I recall the Apple devices without cellular do not have GPS and the GPS feature is needed to see where you are on the maps. It's also required if you wish to use the "Follow Me" feature where the drone follows you.

Last edited:
I have looked into this if anyone has any thoughts about it? I just don't want any lag .. ASUS Zenpad 8 Inch Tablet w/ 16GB, 2GB RAM, Wi-Fi - Dark Gray, Z380M-A2-GR

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl