What shape is this battery in?

Reaction score
This is my original battery. 96 charging cycles. It still charges to 97%. All of the cells are very close in voltage. It’s starting to show a little wear on the outside. However there is no swelling.
762440c7239b004965c93cf62cc40d9b.jpg
a404380e6095aa0c5295ad4ae747fbee.jpg

Wow that battery doesn't look to safe. Just worried about the summer this year, the heat could make it burn as its flying. What happened to the battery by the way?

Reactions: Newbieguy
Nothing I can speak of of. This is battery #1. It’s never been in a crash or dropped. I was thinking this must be from normal wear And tear???

Hi Yeh I thought the same, almost look bit sooty,none of mine look like that yet and have had a hard life. .this my oldest batt from 2016 for p3s ,hundreds of flights it still not look like yours,seems a lot of heat being created by that lipo,I do reduce some flights cause I know it's gets hot in there,contacts hard on terminal when in,of course hard to see but any movement when batt in,it almost looks like shorting out but not quite,I wouldn't be useing it for any long flights just in case it is creating excessive heat,I can't see when it in place anything rubbing on it unless it moving in flight
1515090282173-761830220.jpg

What flight times are you getting? I would upload the flight log from your last flight to airdata and have a look at the power parameters- it will tell you a lot about the health of the battery. We can’t see the cells in the photos you posted- only the aluminised cardboard wrapping. It may well just be mechanical damage from being inserted in the AC (superficial).

A punctured, charged lipo will burn. A lot. It generates it's own oxygen so is difficult to put out.
Personally, unless I could verify how the damage was caused, I'd bite the bullet and dispose of it.

Reactions: gt40pilot
A punctured, charged lipo will burn. A lot. It generates it's own oxygen so is difficult to put out.
Personally, unless I could verify how the damage was caused, I'd bite the bullet and dispose of it.
Agreed. We don’t know if the cells are damaged however, we are only looking at the cardboard wrapping around the cells.

I would look at the log from the last flight to determine condition and might disassemble the pack to check for physical cell damage if it seemed likely. It’s hard to tell from the images posted.

If a failure had occurred that burned the cell packaging it is very likely we would be looking at a more spectacular outcome.

This is the battery in question. I currently don’t have a laptop to source my flight records to the air data site.
bb426cea52f370f73db49ed6c14fd6a7.jpg

Total capacity looks teasonable for 90 cycles and a max cell imbalance of 10mv at rest is ok. If you fly with autopilot or litchi you can sync with airdata from the app directly. It seems likely this battery is serviceable. It almost certainly doesn’t have physical cell damage.

One other thing- I’m pretty sure there is an app for Android that allows you to sync GO flight records with airdata, there might be one for iOS now also. Wouldn’t take much time to check.

One other thing- I’m pretty sure there is an app for Android that allows you to sync GO flight records with airdata, there might be one for iOS now also. Wouldn’t take much time to check.
Yes, its called hd sync available for google play store

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak