What next after Phantom 4 Pro?

Reaction score
Website
fishcrow.com
I have been extremely pleased with my P4 Pro, but sooner or later it's going to die or crash. What is an at-least-comparable or better replacement? How about the Mavic Classic? It seems that many hardware "upgrades" these days (such as computers) come at a cost -- often in terms of lost capabilities. Is there a model currently on the market that will offer everything that the P4 Pro offers and will fly the same Litchi missions that I have been using? Have former P4 users moved to a different forum (e.g., for the Mavic Classic)? It appears that there is no mount for an iPad on the controller? Is it not possible to use an iPad with this model?

Last edited:
Aircraft selection:

Isn't Mavic 3 stripped of the previously standard functionalities like waypoint mode?
I'd go with Mavic 2, Pro or Zoom. I flew it a bit, and the flight is way more dynamic than Phantoms, but still very stable. Probably even more stable than Phantoms, as the shape of the drone allows it to fight the wind easier.
They can also be software-modded for even greater capabilities.

And if you're after better camera and lift capacity rather than better flight and weight - then you should look for an older Inspire instead.

Mobile device:

You can buy an aluminum mount which you place in smartphone slot of the Mavic series RC, and put a larger tablet on that. Just make sure it's full aluminum, so it won't wiggle that much.

Up to Mavic 2 you can use the same mobile device as for Phantom. For newer ones, you'll have to have more RAM and ARM64 CPU, as DJI stopped creating API for older SoCs. Though I don't know how this maps to Apple products, I don't use that.

I didn't like Mavics when I bought P4P five years ago and I don't like them today either. I can't understand DJI market ideas to replace Phantoms with Mavics.
I always thought that Mavics are more transportable but lower levelled to Phantoms. Well, maybe I should fly one Mavic to change my opinion but probably I will not. It looks more like a toy. Sorry Mavic owners. But it's my personal attitude of cours.
Inspires are much too big for my needs.
I hope my Phantom will go on for years.

Reactions: Mavikhan
My mavic 3 cine shoots in apple pro res and does waypoints (but at high cost). DJI is upgrading the Mavic 3 through software updates as users tell them what they want.

I do real estate pictures and video so I’ve never used litchi so can’t speak to that. But both my previous phantom 4 pros, v1 and v2 were the plus version with attached display. . The mavic 3 is superior in all ways except doesn’t have a mechanical shutter.

I’ve been keeping my p4p pro+ as back ups but am going to unload at least one soon.

I was thinking about inspire 2, but seemed like older tech to me. Yes the switchable lenses would be nice, but with the mavic I can zoom way in, plus I bought the wide lenses too so it’s almost the same and I can carry it in backpack.

My mavic 3 cine has never given me issues with its fast boot and connection to GPS, seems more stable in flight too. I was having to calibrate compass often on my v2 p4p+ too what a pain.

The only issue I ever have is with DJI FLYSAFE, locks me out occasionally when I’m not in controlled airspace. DJI thinks some uncontrolled airports are controlled. I’ve had to fire off some nasty emails to DJI to get unlocked….

Hopefully a good comparable drone is made in USA soon. No I’m not sponsored by DJI and yes I’d rather buy American made.

Reactions: Pygar70 and Capt KO
I have been extremely pleased with my P4 Pro, but sooner or later it's going to die or crash. What is an at-least-comparable or better replacement? How about the Mavic Classic? It seems that many hardware "upgrades" these days (such as computers) come at a cost -- often in terms of lost capabilities. Is there a model currently on the market that will offer everything that the P4 Pro offers and will fly the same Litchi missions that I have been using? Have former P4 users moved to a different forum (e.g., for the Mavic Classic)? It appears that there is no mount for an iPad on the controller? Is it not possible to use an iPad with this model?
Following. I have had 3 phantoms, 2 Mavic pro and a mini. I hated the controller and User Interface of the Mini and would hate to upgrade to the Fly App. The controller felt clunky and large as well as the FLY a being less user friendly in my opinion. I’m getting older and dislike getting accustomed to new tech. But I’m sure it’s going to be inevitable if I upgrade. Sure wish DJI would continue with the GO app.

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt KO
The M2 Pro still used GO4 like Phantoms. I would recommend the A2S but it uses FLY app instead. It's an awsome affordable drone but with a few limitations such as waypoints, (best using Litchi app). You sure have a lot of choices these days, good luck..whenever.
PS: I use a tablet holder on my A2 RC-N1 remote no problem.
20230316_153925.jpg

What is an at-least-comparable or better replacement? How about the Mavic Classic?
To update/upgrade from a P4 pro, you'd have to look at the Mavic 3.
Whether you chose the original or the classic, is up to you as they are identical excapt that the original has two cameras, the large one with a wideangle lens and the smaller one with a tele lens.
Unless you were shooting nature documentaries for teh BC of similar, the Cine version is overpriced, inconvenient and of no real use for most users.
The Mavic 2 is nearly as old as the P4 pro and its only advantage would be the folding form factor.

The increased flight time you get with the Mavic 3 is a significant upgrade and the smaller body seems to be better able to deal with wind than a Phantom.
The main camera is good, possibly slightly better than the P4 pro, but comparing shots from both cameras, it's not easy to tell.
I thought the tele camera was a toy, but it can be useful.
Although the results from its dinky sensor can't match the main camera, I'm getting some useful shots that would otherwise be impossible.

On the downside, the DJI fly app and controller are a step backwards, but you can still use them to get great results.
Interestingly, the dinky controller has greater range, even without antenna reflectors.
It appears that there is no mount for an iPad on the controller? Is it not possible to use an iPad with this model?
There are lots of 3rd party accessories available for this.

I'm going to have to say... it depends! It REALLY depends on what you do now and want to do in the future with your drone. I bought a Mavic 3 after I sold my P4P2 and was EXTREMELY disappointed. DJI has yet to, nor do they intend to, release the SDK for third parties to include support in their apps. So, mapping is out, unless you want to build the map from waypoints that just became available. So I sold the Mavic the next week. I will say it was fun to fly, took amazing photos and videos, and was quick to get from case to flight. I bought an Inspire 2 and have both the X5S and X4S cameras and, so far, it is an amazing drone. But it's really big and the time it takes a bit of time and effort to get it in the air, two reasons I'm still on the fence about it. When I look at the images and videos though, I'm suddenly in love again. The orthomosaic maps using the X4S, though it's the same camera on the P4P, look so much better than anything my P4P ever produced. And the X5S is really just an amazing camera for video. Haven't had a need to buy a X7 but might look at that if I keep the drone.

I think I agree with everyone else's suggestion to either stay with the Phantom line or look at the older Mavics. If I had to do it over again, I would likely buy a P4 RTK, which might still be in my future.

I'll give you my M2P when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

If you are a 107 pilot there is not really a good option, at the moment, unless you are prepared to drop about 5K for a Mavic 3 enterprise.
M3 consumer - no MSDK and dji will not be providing one. Dead to me.
I currently have 15 batteries and would need at least 10 for the M3. I also have 2 M2P backup hulls and 3 controllers.
You will never find as good a controller as the M2 controller - the LCD display tells you all you need to know and is super bright. Plus it's compact.
Inspire is overkill on the camera, too bulky and batteries too costly for the run time.
I started off with a P4 and thought I would hate the Mavic, but really the Mavic flys much better. I never fly the P4 any more.
The fact that it does not have a mechanical shutter is irrelevant - my customers are quite satisfied.
While they probably have the same wind tolerance, the P4 drains the battery much faster in high winds.
That's my take.

I didn't like Mavics when I bought P4P five years ago and I don't like them today either. I can't understand DJI market ideas to replace Phantoms with Mavics.
I always thought that Mavics are more transportable but lower levelled to Phantoms. Well, maybe I should fly one Mavic to change my opinion but probably I will not. It looks more like a toy. Sorry Mavic owners. But it's my personal attitude of cours.
Inspires are much too big for my needs.
I hope my Phantom will go on for years.
I fly Phantoms and Mavics, and have for years.

I currently have 2 P4Pv2s in the fleet, and they alternate between main and backup birds to keep their hours fairly even.

I've also flown Mavics since the original Mavic 1. Now, if I'm in the air for a creative gig, it's the Mavic 3, no question.

Since the Mavic 2 Pro, there is no comparison between the image quality and flight characteristics between in and the Phantom line. The Mavics are all around better drones. They fly better, are affected by wind less, and image quality isn't even comparable. Especially with the M43 Mavic 3. And the portability of the Mavic is second to none. It's certainly not a toy.

The Phantom line is dead. DJI has said as much. Eventually you won't be able to get batteries.

If you flew the original Mavic and are using that for comparison to your Phantom, don't. Try the Mavic line again, you'll change your mind.

Reactions: 3rdof5 and Adamborz
Thanks for your experiences.
I have no reason not to believe you.
But from my point of view I have one Mav. Air as a backup and it's just a pretty bad replace for the Phantom I have.

The Phantom line is dead. DJI has said as much. Eventually you won't be able to get batteries.
Reading this was like being kicked in the n*ts. I know it’s true. But I am so sad.

An added benefit of having your 107 and doing commercial work, inventory because tax deductible!! My mavic 3 Cine is really much more stable than either of my phantoms. Plus I’ve never had video transmission issues around cell towers etc like I have with both my P4P+s.

I didn’t like the fly app or what it’s called that the m3 using at first, but after using it for awhile it is superior

Interesting discussion.

My P4 is getting a little bit long in the tooth and it's only a matter of time before I'll be needing a replacement.

AD

An added benefit of having your 107 and doing commercial work, inventory because tax deductible!! My mavic 3 Cine is really much more stable than either of my phantoms. Plus I’ve never had video transmission issues around cell towers etc like I have with both my P4P+s.

I didn’t like the fly app or what it’s called that the m3 using at first, but after using it for awhile it is superior
What did you mean by the stability problems?
Apparently, there must be some differences between Phantoms. I have never had any problems with the stability or with interferences around cell towers. I have P4P+ V1.

Both the Phantoms and Mavics are amazing aircraft. I own both and love them both for different reasons. Other than advanced features, the biggest difference I notice between flying these 2 birds is my Phantom is usually easier to keep VLOS with.

Reactions: gppms and Mavikhan

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic