What just happened? Magnetic anomaly?

The further north you go the lower on the horizon the GPS satellites are. Dipping into a valley, especially an east-west running valley could put you in a GPS shadow.

Once I started my P3P offroad from the roof of my car. It worked this time but at next flight a day later (starting from normal ground) I had these magnetic errors and had to recalibrate.

Thanks Canadian, I did read that somewhere to about the compass and being in the north, but I have been flying it all over town the last couple days with out issue. The only thing that changed tonight was instead of using my iPhone 6 plus, with the Pilot App. I used my iPad Air 2 for the first time. Wonder if its possible the app had something to do with it. The only other thing I wonder is that the area I was in was blasted last year to collect gravel etc. So am wondering if there was some magnetized rock exposed or something within the area I was in. Just also found out to from friend on facebook, there's another fella here with a P3 experiencing the same issue.

The mid-night sun is pretty nice but can really tough on ya and throw your circadian rhythm outta wack. Kinda like the P3 compass ;)
Same thing happened to me the first time I used it with a new iPad Air2. Took it up a few feet and hovered then it just took off like a bat out if hell. After a scary few minutes of no control and no visual it returned to home. Still not sure what happened, but no problems on subsequent fights...

I doubt you are too far North. Parts of Britain go as far North as 60 degrees and you are at 63.
Could well have been magnetic ore. I know my compass used to go crazy sometimes when I used to be a mountaineer in a past life!
I wonder what effect the Aurora would have though? You may have had a localised electromagnetic storm you won't always see them.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1