What is the most useful drone accessory

I went by the photo you displayed ... which never gave indication of 9 battery capability.

To do 9 batterys simultaneously would be serious power supply base ... and not a usual car based ..

DJI do not do chargers .... they supply regulated power supplies and then rely on the batterys 'smart board'.

I hesitated for a long time to get the DJI Smart Controller. It has a brighter screen which is slightly larger than my iPhone. What I like most is the fast start up time, the long battery life which is dedicated to flying only, and the fact that other apps or phone calls don’t interrupt my concentration when flying.

I went by the photo you displayed ... which never gave indication of 9 battery capability.

I didn't say it could charge 9 batteries simultaneously. I said I would have to buy 9 chargers to replace the capability of my charging bay.

To do 9 batterys simultaneously would be serious power supply base ...

Correct. "Quick charging" 3 batteries (@ 8 amps/each) is a 24 amp draw, which is a pretty healthy draw. At that rate, the alternator can barely keep up @ engine idle. Any more than 25 amps (estimate) and I have to boost the idle to 1,000+ rpm, which I do not wish to do. The kewl thing is that I can stop the charging process and adjust charging current down so that the alternator CAN keep up. I monitor vehicle voltage. If it fails to maintain 12+ volts, I know I'm dealing with a current deficit.

To date, I haven't gone above 6 Amps per charger (18 amps total), and the alternator has been able to keep up.

and not a usual car based ..

Even 18 amps isn't "car based," which is why I had to build my own....and why one can't find anything like this on the open market. Manufacturers could easily BUILD something like this. But they know that users would drain their car batteries, which would cause a flood of hate mail and negative user reviews. So they opt to limit car chargers to cigarette lighter current levels, which is usually 5 amps. I ain't got time for 5 amps.

DJI do not do chargers .... they supply regulated power supplies and then rely on the batterys 'smart board'.

Yep. I'm doing essentially the same thing.

D

Any chance you can post an image of your tripod. I have several but have not found anything that can attach to safely secure my controller. Thanks

Saw this impreasive snap-on tripod at Interdrone. Satori Aerial Co-Pilot™ - Flight Empowered

If the wind kicks up, you'll be glad you have this:

1567981576538.png

And it weighs half as much as a camera tripod, and sets up and tears down in half the time. Cost is about 1/4th that of a good camera tripod.

D

Reactions: DanDiego
Just purchased one for my P4p. Good investment. Charges 3 batteries simultaneously, and the remote. Gets a little warm if you push it real hard though! Best accessory I have is my hard case. My P4 is ALWAYS with me. Keeps it secure in my truck.

Edit: As mentioned later in this thread, a Anemometer. I keep mine in the truck for spraying, but I use it before flight if wind seems a bit higher than I like.

Brad
Keep in mind that your Anemometer only measures wind speed at ground level at your launch location. It can't measure windspeed at other locations and at heights above the ground that will be affecting the drone, when you fly it away. A 10mph mild ground level wind could be a 30mph wind or higher at 400 feet. Be careful.

Saw this impressive snap-on tripod at Interdrone. Satori Aerial Co-Pilot™ - Flight Empowered
Not so impressive in use. Installing it split open my GL300A RC case, because it has to force the metal bars underneath apart to wedge itself into place! It is not easily installed, nor easily removed. Even the inventor recommends using a separate quick-release tripod mechanism because of all the hassles. The Hoodman tripod mount at $49 is far better in every way for any Phantom or Inspire.
The Mavic 2 RC is so light it doesn't require anything.

Reactions: Harleydude
Looks good. Link to buy it?

And

The kewl thing about this rig is you can elevate your RC 9 or 10 feet in the air for better reception on long, automated flights.

D

Reactions: DanDiego
Keep in mind that your Anemometer only measures wind speed at ground level at your launch location. It can't measure windspeed at other locations and at heights above the ground that will be affecting the drone, when you fly it away. A 10mph mild ground level wind could be a 30mph wind or higher at 400 feet. Be careful.

I couldn't agree more. I had this friend who had rigged an anemometer up on a pole some 15' in the air. I asked, "What's the purpose of this?" He replied, "It's more accurate than at ground level." Hilarious.

I fly in ATTI mode to get accurate readings at any altitude.

D

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Now THAT'S a charging station! Very nice!
Yes it costed a fair bit, but it also works very well... I can charge 4 batteries, controller, FPV glasses and tablet all at the same time... And it does deep cycle as well.

Reactions: Shoot4fun
Most importantly, my tripod to hold the controller. Going back to handheld is not fun (but not really too bad). Then it is my landing pad. And then it is a good travel case. Oh, and then it is my reading glasses, so I can see the screen!
Reading Glasses area a major accessoryI couldn't fly with out!

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I couldn't agree more. I had this friend who had rigged an anemometer up on a pole some 15' in the air. I asked, "What's the purpose of this?" He replied, "It's more accurate than at ground level." Hilarious.

I fly in ATTI mode to get accurate readings at any altitude.

D
ATTI is good to practice, and definitely shows the direction and relative speed of the wind in a hover, but in the video you stated you used Yaw to counter the wind, which only changes the orientation of the drone with the left stick, rather than countering the wind with positive throttle on the right stick, in the opposite direction of the wind. Was that really what you meant?

Really true. The drone is the best anemometer. But you must do it properly. Go up for a few m ant at first check how the drone withstand the wind and how fast can it fly against the wind. And if everything is OK then you can put it higher and measure the wind speed and see direction.

Thats a tough one..i have a new shoulder strap lanyard i havent really tried yet but love my reg neck lanyard..makes the shots easier. Also my carbon fiber props really made my bird way more quiet seems like I flew by at 400 ft. The other day with regular white props. And then later with the cf props and they were more quiet at 80-100ft. I didn't believe it.. im sure the neighbors across the street appreciate it. Or im so stealth now they dont even know im there.. [emoji350][emoji351][emoji344][emoji345][emoji346][emoji347]

That’s interesting, have a link for the props?

Carbon props looks cool,, maybe a little faster, but be aware if it hits somebody can make pretty much harm than the regular ones.

Reactions: PhoenixOne
Carbon props looks cool,, maybe a little faster, but be aware if it hits somebody can make pretty much harm than the regular ones.
Yes your Right. I definitely did my research beforehand. I also looked up balance issues with carbon fiber props and that's why I went ahead and went with DJI brand and honestly as happy as I was with the sound I seemed to have gained a little bit of a jello effect during video recording. Which I don't seem to remember beforehand I read that that was a problem because of the stiffness of the props and them not flexing enough to absorb some wind or any kind of shock from the aircraft moving

Last edited:
That’s interesting, have a link for the props?
Hey bfunkwa so sorry it took so long. Have had alot going on in the personal life.. but yeah heres the link just just from good old amazon. But this is the same company i ordered from. They came in good shape. DJI Original 9'' CW+CCW Props Carbon Fiber Reinforced 9450 Self-tightening Propeller 4 Pcs for Phantom 3 Professional / Advanced / Standard Quadcopter Amazon.com: DJI Original 9'' CW+CCW Props Carbon Fiber Reinforced 9450 Self-tightening Propeller 4 Pcs for Phantom 3 Professional / Advanced / Standard Quadcopter / E310 - Black + White Stripe: Electronics

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl