What is the FAA thinking here?

Reaction score

Seems like the FAA is dropping the ball on this one. Hopefully no idiots put their drones in the air during this event. In absence of a TFR, what is the recourse for dealing with idiots who choose to fly at this event?

Last edited:
Probly have multiple eyes out but you would have to be a real idiot to fly ,
I love to catch the red bull air races on tv but that's another level,,+I not want to be spectator so close if something went wrong,can't run nowhere fast
Hey anyway thanks for sharing that there some good pictures in there

Reactions: Phill2 and Capt KO
I apologize I didn’t read the article. I fully understand now. Thanks for bringing that to my attention Meta4

TFR or not, dangerous flying can always bring a charge of reckless endangerment.
Yep, you are right. And realistically the idiots that would choose to fly either don't know about TFRs or would choose not to abide by it.

Reactions: Phill2
The article suggests that the director of the event said if no TFR is in place, then there will be NO air show. In that case why would drone flying be a problem if it's done in a safe manner not over the people or the racers?

I'd just about bet $100 against a doughnut hole that the person who contacted the FAA HOTLINE last year was a drone operator whining about not getting to fly there.

We have the races here every year switching between Clearwater Beach and St.Pete Beach. I have to root for the "Visit St.Pete-Clearwater" boat. But Geico always wins the day. I wonder why the winners are always bloody Brits. Dang good drivers. Drones are outlawed for these events but stupids still try.

Last edited:
We have the races here every year switching between Clearwater Beach and St.Pete Beach. I have to root for the "Visit St.Pete-Clearwater" boat. But Geico always wins the day. I wonder why the winners are always bloody Brits. Dang good drivers. Drones are outlawed for these events but stupids still try.
Ya know why don't ya, Ken? Ya cain't fix stupid. It goes all the way to the bone... ?

It's this weekend. The big fancy boats started passing thru my lil burg yesterday... Think I'll just stay home. Much safer.

Brad

Unfortunately I'm starting to FEEL like an old man! Beats the alternative though!
Whaaat? Give it 15 more years and you'll know what it really feels like! You're still just a young'un yet LOL

And after 5 p.m. work hours, when I've had my version of pain medicine (2 beers) I can still keep up with my 24 year old son ?

Reactions: dronesky

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures