What is the best video/picture editing software

Reaction score
What is the all around best software to edit video and pictures, something that will let me add music, but no cost an arm and a leg?

I have heard Adobe Lightroom is a good start for those getting into photo editing. Similar to Adobe Photoshop but meant to be a bit easier for those starting off.

I am also going to give Adobe Premier a go for video.

tomwato said:
I have heard Adobe Lightroom is a good start for those getting into photo editing. Similar to Adobe Photoshop but meant to be a bit easier for those starting off.

I am also going to give Adobe Premier a go for video.

Thanks for the info. Anyone else?

I use a MAC with Final Cut Pro X. It has a great built in feature that helps stabilize the most shakiest of videos.

Eagleeye9 said:
I use a MAC with Final Cut Pro X. It has a great built in feature that helps stabilize the most shakiest of videos.

is there anything like that for Windows?

Stay away from Adobe Priemere 12. I tried to download this and I have a very fast up to date PC and all that happened was freeze ups, multiple error messages and the software never did download. Then at Adobe, they say to do a clean boot, sorta like a safe mode and you have to uncheck many system requirements. That didn't work. Tried downloading again, same issues. I read the Adobe forums page and almost everyone on there hated it and gave it 2 stars. Check out the forums of any editing software first. This will give you a clue as to whether it is bug filled or a clean program.

I then went over and checked out Cyberlink's Power Director 12. It's $90.00 on Amazon and $94.00 on Cyberlinks web site so I went directly to Cyberlink, read their forums and 99% love it and gave it 5 stars. Paid for it and downloaded all 7 program modules without a single glitch. The program is quite heavy so it took over 4 hours to download all 7 modules.

Was up and running and importing video clips without a single hitch. So far, I have imported over 100 clips and over 40 photos without a single problem. (I am now on my 4th video without any problems)

Others I know who have Adobe Priemere have problems using it. If you don't mind shelling out $94.00, then go with Cyberlink Power Director 12. It has alot of extras and over 400,000 options. You get what you pay for and free video editing programs don't offer you the feature rich options that paid programs offer.

Hope this helps.

Q

PhantomDave said:
What is the all around best software to edit video and pictures, something that will let me add music, but no cost an arm and a leg?

For an all in one solution, check out Adobe Elements Photoshop and Premiere bundle. You can download a 30 day - full function - trial at Adobe's website.

I've bought and tried adobe elements and it wasn't so great for me. It took a long time just to import media into it much less render and I have a pretty fast system. I have been using Sony Vegas for the past few years and I'm happy with it for what I need. Before the phantom, I was making video's of sailboat regattas that I raced in with a gopro 1 mounted on the boat. I could get about 3 1/2 hours of video of which only about 3 minutes was useful. So you can imagine the large video files I had to scrub through to delete 99% of what I had and Vegas did a good job of immediately importing these huge files and being able to edit right away. Elements would take at least an hour before I could even start to edit it.

I use pinnacle for video fine it very easy to use will convert avi to mp4 and so on had music slow the vid down take a pic from the vid split the screen so if are using 2 cam you can view both at the same I cant fault it

Whilst we are on the subject does anybody know the answer to this question?

After I've rendered and produced a movie I watch it several times just to make sure it's how I like it. Recently I put a video on youtube and after uploading it it looked a lot more jerkier than the original. It was playing at 1080 and I let it completely load before playing it. Is there anyway to make this transition smoother as per the original movie?

This link is my most recent vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KTmIgpi ... youtu.be&a

Love Photoshop but my version is so old, I'm emberassed to say HOW old. If anyone has CS7 or so... I'm willing to buy from you.

After I've rendered and produced a movie I watch it several times just to make sure it's how I like it. Recently I put a video on youtube and after uploading it it looked a lot more jerkier than the original. It was playing at 1080 and I let it completely load before playing it. Is there anyway to make this transition smoother as per the original movie?

I didn't notice any frame dropping or jumping, the video was well shot, we're you using filters when filming into the sun

The "best"? The best will depend on people's needs and opinions. What I consider to be the "best", Tom down the street may fully hate & despise. Anytime you ask generically "what is the best" you're opening up the floor for a great deal of arguing.

The "best" is Adobe stuff. And it's cheap at $56 a month for access to each and every Adobe product. That's the "best"...

I will say hands down the best software out there right now is DaVinci Resolve 12, its free and has its roots as a $30K video editing suite that Hollywood uses to color grade their movies. The free version only has about 5 features that the $1000.00 version doesn't and most people don't need those features anyway. Their color grading capabilities are second to none IMO. There is a bit of a learning curve, especially if you have never used an NLE, but you can learn how to do everything on YouTube.

I am also a fan of Corel VideoStudio, but their color grading and export bitrates leave much to be desired.

For basic photo editing for free try FastStone Image Viewer and FastStone Photo Resizer. Both are also free and they have a surprising number of features especially if you are not doing anything but basic editing. I refuse to rent software so I left the Adobe suite behind when they went to the CC model.

YouTube heavily compresses uploaded videos to save bandwidth. They can make any video look bad. I get my best results on YouTube by dropping my data rate to 25Kbs for a 1080P@30FPS NTSC video or 20Kbs for a 720P@30FPS video. Anything higher and Youtube's compression algorithm starts really degrading the footage.

Reactions: fly_it

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl