What is the best tablet to use for the P4 pro v2?

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for my P4 pro v2 to arrive and need to purchase a tablet. Does anyone have any input on what works best? I would like to get an Apple, as IOS seems to be the way to go. With so many to choose from, I just don't know where to begin! Any thoughts?? Thanks!

I just went through it. I'm an android guy but found that the ipad mini 4 works best for me. Android was just too unreliable and if you get one that works, later on with updates you might find yourself scrambling to get things set to work. All funtions work on the ipad as far as panos and such. No gps on the version I have, but I don't need it. DJI supports Apple more so than android.
I wanted a long term stable tablet!

Yes, everything I've read so far has been that Android versions are a bit glitchier depending on wihich version you have.
Would the iPad 9.7" work better than the iPad Pro 10.5" ? Are these too big ?? I need all the screen real estate I can get!

The mini works fine for me, I can see without my readers. It fits in the case easier too. Not sure bigger real estate will give much of an advantage.

Reactions: Drone Rivers
Yes, everything I've read so far has been that Android versions are a bit glitchier depending on wihich version you have.
Android was just too unreliable and if you get one that works, later on with updates you might find yourself scrambling to get things set to work.
DJI supports Apple more so than android.
To correct a few myths ...
Android and iOS tablets work equally well as long as they have sufficient performance to run the demanding DJI Go 4 app.
DJI does not support either more than the other.
The Huawei M3 and M5 are probably the best Android tablets currently available for flying and perform perfectly. They are a match for any iOS devices.
Would the iPad 9.7" work better than the iPad Pro 10.5" ? Are these too big ?? I need all the screen real estate I can get!
It's a matter of personal choice but many users keep away from the very large tablets because they are just too big and heavy and clumsy to use.
8" tablets are a good compromise and provide enough screen real estate to see everything clearly while still being easy to manage when attached to the controller.

Yip agree personal choice and a $$$$$ game,I'm android user full time,,samsung only for me,I have both 8"tab A and 10/1 tab A, the 8"worked great until dji app got bit bigger then it did slow down a bit so next was the 10/1 Samsung, I have multiple apps + djigo,djigo4 and litchi on same device and works flawless,couldn't afford apple product (price a killer here) , as @Meta4 mention they are bit big and certainly know you are holding it,my remote and tablet weighs in at 2084grams,2kg BUT the picture is outstanding with no glitching or screen freezing, probly bit much for ladies to hold unless body builder, one thing I hate is trying to press any buttons or settings on a small screen,still happy with me set up,been like this for while now,best of luck with your decision :) and your new phantom
20180820_095633.jpg
,,,this device here was $600,so I'm glad it has lasted

Yip agree personal choice and a $$$$$ game,I'm android user full time,,samsung only for me,I have both 8"tab A and 10/1 tab A, the 8"worked great until dji app got bit bigger then it did slow down a bit so next was the 10/1 Samsung, I have multiple apps + djigo,djigo4 and litchi on same device and works flawless,couldn't afford apple product (price a killer here) , as @Meta4 mention they are bit big and certainly know you are holding it,my remote and tablet weighs in at 2084grams,2kg BUT the picture is outstanding with no glitching or screen freezing, probly bit much for ladies to hold unless body builder, one thing I hate is trying to press any buttons or settings on a small screen,still happy with me set up,been like this for while now,best of luck with your decision :) and your new phantomView attachment 102523,,,this device here was $600,so I'm glad it has lasted
Looks like you guy yourself a nice little bolt hole there to get a bit of peace from the Mrs....

Last edited:
Looks like you guy yourself a nice little bolt hole there to get a bit of peace from the Mrs....
Off topic this post but ha if I had a wife I would not have what I got now,mayby there's another single Mrs phantom out there for this Mr phantom,oh well like a seagull I keep looking;)

There is no comparing the Huawei tablet with an Apple iPad of any size or variation. The build quality is superior and resale is much much better. It is a fact that iOS is more stable with DJI go 4. I’ve seen it many times with my friends galaxy tab s3 having issues and I’m already up in the air. Also has connection issues. Sometimes you get what you pay for. I wouldn’t buy that new Chinese tablet. Go with what is known to work best with dji’s software. Plus you’ll have a better all around tablet to use for other things too.

There is no comparing the Huawei tablet with an Apple iPad of any size or variation. The build quality is superior and resale is much much better.
Sorry but you are just continuing the same myths and the evidence is not there to support them.
You are talking about fast evolving electronics.
They all devalue fast and resale isn't a consideration.
It is a fact that iOS is more stable with DJI go 4. I’ve seen it many times with my friends galaxy tab s3 having issues and I’m already up in the air.
That your friend's Samsung tablet isn't as stable as your Apple only means for whatever reason that particular Samsung isn't as stable as your iPad.
I've been flying the Huawei M3 on hundreds of flights in serious commercial use since November and it's never shown any hint of instability.
I'd like to know how an iPad can be more stable than something that's 100% stable ??
My recent testing of the M5 indicates that it also performs just as well.
I wouldn’t buy that new Chinese tablet. Go with what is known to work best with dji’s software. Plus you’ll have a better all around tablet to use for other things too.
Sorry ... your iPad is just another good tablet for flying but it's not the only show in town.
There are other options available that work perfectly.

Thank you for all the input! I know there are a ton of tablets that may work. My biggest concern is finding one that works well. I am sooooo new at this,
I see both sides of the Android V. IOS dilemma. I just want to find a reliable tablet that will make this a great experience for me.

I live in a more remote area of NYS on the sunny shores of Lake Ontario. Although it's a bit of paradise, there is virtually no cell reception without a booster and TV reception is such that I can usually only get Canadian TV signals. I worry that the signals out here may not be conducive to flying; so I need to find the strongest, most reliable tablet.

Mickey

I've been on Android since Motorola introduced the original Droid I, so I'll have to bite my tongue to say this but:

Sounds to me like you're a perfect candidate for an Apple device - for your own peace of mind.

If you have a problem down the road with an Android device you may blame Android in general and/or 'that dang sub-par' hardware. With an apple there's nobody to blame because it's 'the best' right? lol

When I first started selling x86-based PCs in the mid-1980s and the 'clones' were just coming out, there was a saying amongst IT folks -

"Nobody ever got fired for recommending an IBM"

Some Apple thoughts:
  • To get GPS on an Apple device you have to pay for the cell enabled version
  • Forget the Mini 4 (A8), get something with a current CPU - A9 or A10
  • Taking top heaviness into consideration, get the screen size you want... you won't be happy with it unless you do. And there are adapters if necessary to make the bigger screens fit.
  • Don't forget you may want a hood to reduce glare on your device... which will add to the 'top heaviness'
  • I hear the relatively recent iPad 6 is a good deal
  • Apple's refurb page is a good place to shop

Last edited:
Oh and btw...

If you don't have one already, you might consider getting a good lanyard. I use mine most of the time unless I'm just going up from the backyard for a few minutes

Yip agree personal choice and a $$$$$ game,I'm android user full time,,samsung only for me,I have both 8"tab A and 10/1 tab A, the 8"worked great until dji app got bit bigger then it did slow down a bit so next was the 10/1 Samsung, I have multiple apps + djigo,djigo4 and litchi on same device and works flawless,couldn't afford apple product (price a killer here) , as @Meta4 mention they are bit big and certainly know you are holding it,my remote and tablet weighs in at 2084grams,2kg BUT the picture is outstanding with no glitching or screen freezing, probly bit much for ladies to hold unless body builder, one thing I hate is trying to press any buttons or settings on a small screen,still happy with me set up,been like this for while now,best of luck with your decision :) and your new phantomView attachment 102523,,,this device here was $600,so I'm glad it has lasted

Where do you get those "tutorial" stickers on the controller ?

I've been on Android since Motorola introduced the original Droid I, so I'll have to bite my tongue to say this but:

Sounds to me like you're a perfect candidate for an Apple device - for your own peace of mind.

If you have a problem down the road with an Android device you may blame Android in general and/or 'that dang sub-par' hardware. With an apple there's nobody to blame because it's 'the best' right? lol

When I first started selling x86-based PCs in the mid-1980s and the 'clones' were just coming out, there was a saying amongst IT folks -

"Nobody ever got fired for recommending an IBM"

Some Apple thoughts:
  • To get GPS on an Apple device you have to pay for the cell enabled version
  • Forget the Mini 4 (A8), get something with a current CPU - A9 or A10
  • Taking top heaviness into consideration, get the screen size you want... you won't be happy with it unless you do. And there are adapters if necessary to make the bigger screens fit.
  • Don't forget you may want a hood to reduce glare on your device... which will add to the 'top heaviness'
  • I hear the relatively recent iPad 6 is a good deal
  • Apple's refurb page is a good place to shop
I am still quite happy with my Moto X2 phone, but it's way too small and app'd out. It's a 2014 and easilyy considered a dinosaur, in comparison. I was thinking along those lines of the newest Apple tab. The hood is a good idea, as well. I am not really concerned with price as long as it is reliable. Thanks for the feedback.
Birthday.gif

My biggest concern is finding one that works well. I just want to find a reliable tablet that will make this a great experience for me.
If you were shopping for an Android tablet, the Huawei M3 and M5 are much better than just reliable.
Their performance with the DJI app is outstanding.
They boot quickly, have good battery life and don't offer any complications using them with the app.

there is virtually no cell reception without a booster and TV reception is such that I can usually only get Canadian TV signals. I worry that the signals out here may not be conducive to flying; so I need to find the strongest, most reliable tablet.
Weak cell phone and TV signals won't have any effect on your flying or tablet.
The weak signals just indicate that your area is remote from the cell and TV towers.
All that matters for flying is that your Phantom is within range or your controller.

Sorry but you are just continuing the same myths and the evidence is not there to support them.
You are talking about fast evolving electronics.
They all devalue fast and resale isn't a consideration.

That your friend's Samsung tablet isn't as stable as your Apple only means for whatever reason that particular Samsung isn't as stable as your iPad.
I've been flying the Huawei M3 on hundreds of flights in serious commercial use since November and it's never shown any hint of instability.
I'd like to know how an iPad can be more stable than something that's 100% stable ??
My recent testing of the M5 indicates that it also performs just as well.

Sorry ... your iPad is just another good tablet for flying but it's not the only show in town.
There are other options available that work perfectly.
I understand why you would say this, but the iPad's have significantly higher resale value. Take a look at www.swappa.com or Ebay. Android tablets have very little resale.

I had an iPad Mini Series 2 with 16 mb memory. TOTALLY Inadequate! Slow and ghosting. (Still have it if anyone is interested.)
Upgraded to an iPad Mini Series 4 with 256 mb of memory. MUCH better, faster, and clearer. However, in sunshine, it washes out.
Saw a Mavic pilot with an iPad Pro 12.1 and it looked smashing!
To answer your questions, an iPad Mini would be minimum. Let your wallet and experience guide you.
And be sure to look at www.swappa.com. I bought my second Mini there and loved the transaction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20