What is the best place in the world to drone?

Reaction score
Looking for first hand knowledge of people who've actually been to some recently, not just reading from blogs. I know I can just Google this but what I'm finding is usually locations with one or two good things. Here's the criteria:

• A place that is drone friendly legally
  • A place that's rich with a wide variety of different sites that are beautiful and interesting. Some buildings, some nature, some ocean, some mountains, etc.
  • A place that would also be beautiful for regular photography
Some examples of places I'm considering is Greece, Barcelona, South Africa and Hong Kong.

Post your personal experiences!

Id really suggest if you come to South Africa to do the garden route. Especially Jeffreysbay region, like the Vanstadens bridge and tsistikama valley. You can go have a look on youtube loys of people capture their experiences there. You wont be disappointed. Happy flying and blue skies.

Looking for first hand knowledge of people who've actually been to some recently, not just reading from blogs. I know I can just Google this but what I'm finding is usually locations with one or two good things. Here's the criteria:

• A place that's rich with a wide variety of different sites that are beautiful and interesting. Some buildings, some nature, some ocean, some mountains, etc.
Some examples of places I'm considering is Greece, Barcelona, South Africa and Hong Kong.

Barcelona is definitely NOT on the list. Spain is one of the more difficult countries to fly as I understand it.

I’m in Pa expecting more snow and single digits. Any place warm.

I am in PA too... I have been grounded for months due to weather conditions. If it’s not cold then it’s raining. Really nasty to fly a drone in here.

Just a word of caution about South Africa. There's a lot of violent crime here and some will kill just to steal a cell/mobile phone. A drone is seen as something very expensive - and that's not including the phone/tablet often used to fly it (if you don't use the P4P+).

Reactions: AndrewCCM
I agree, i would not even go to a country where they beat to death cattle because the store shelves are bare. Now i might add that i did a 6 week vacation to Australia and there was many a great place to fly drones especially along the coast south of Adelaide. Like here where i went to Port Noarlunga.

Reactions: loonie01
I was staying at a beachside rental just a couple of blocks away exactly two years ago from where this video was filmed, it was videos like these that drew me to this part of Australia!

Great info on places that are cool with drones and which ones are not. How about Greece, Italy, Ecuador, Columbia and Cuba?

I suggest you search "Iceland" on this forum.

I suggest you search "Iceland" on this forum.
Iceland has little daylight in the winter. In addition, Iceland is notorious for the heavy east winds. It has a maritime climate. The maritime climate is characterized by the fact that the driest month of the year has an average monthly rainfall of at least 30 mm and the precipitation is spread over the whole year.

iceland.jpg

ihavequestions: Perhaps the best location for regular photography - one of your criteria - is California/Utah/Arizona. There's everything within a relatively small part of our planet, easily accessible, on your list. The coast, mountains, forests, deserts, etc etc are superb and world-class. This would undoubtedly also apply to the use of drones, excluding obvious restrictions in national parks and such.

Iceland isn't bad for day-length once you're past the midwinter point, when it rapidly increases again. But cloud cover is a common issue, sunlight being essential. And wind (as highlighted above). However, perhaps the main problem currently with Iceland is the massive rise in number of tourists. Numbers almost doubled in February 2017 from just 12 months before and this does spoil many natural locations.

Iceland is beautiful to see. As you undoubtedly know Iceland is part of Denmark. And there the rules have changed considerably since July 2017. If your drone weighs more than 250g, then you need to do a test and register your drone.

You will find more information on this website: Foreign RC pilots - Modelflyvning DK

@Silverado6x6 It is possible to fly in Russia. It seems to be a drone friendly country.

Thanks, i live in south central Alaska, just bought an Inspire 1 V2 from a fella who owns a drone service in the lower 48, he recently upgraded so i got a good deal. I drive a concrete mixer during the summer and i have in mind many a scenic location. Problem is our summer is basically 3 months long, even in late may its still brown and ugly, sweet spot is june and july as august tends to rain a lot.
My goal is to have two drones, the second a P4P. My son is a lot better flyer than i am.

Iceland is beautiful to see. As you undoubtedly know Iceland is part of Denmark. And there the rules have changed considerably since July 2017. If your drone weighs more than 250g, then you need to do a test and register your drone.

You will find more information on this website: Foreign RC pilots - Modelflyvning DK

@Silverado6x6 It is possible to fly in Russia. It seems to be a drone friendly country.

Iceland was part of Denmark, but I think you'll find they've been running their own show for quite some time. The link you provided seems to apply to mainland Denmark. It doesn't mention anywhere outwith the country from what I could see. At a stretch I'd imagine it might affect Greenland and Faroe Islands.

Anyway, I'm mostly here to suggest Scotland. Recently voted most beautiful country in the world by Rough Guides, and for good reason. Scenery that almost competes with Iceland and loads of space to fly. No fly zones are few and far between, at least in the Highlands. Only issue is the weather which can be unreliable at best. Saying that I don't think I've seen a full week of not being able to fly.
In terms of locations I'm actually not even sure if my phantom (or I for that matter) will live long enough to visit all the ones I have in mind...

Taiwan has wonderful coast lines scenic gorges and mountains and is drone friendly with no max height rules out and away from cities and airports, also do not need to fly VLOS or register. Philippines is also good I get good footage there as well.

I would like to visit Russia during the summer, that is if its legal to even use a drone there.

Doesn't appear to be much of a problem in Russia. If you get to Moscow try flying from the backseat of the monorail like this chap. He also has loads of other drone videos from in and around Moscow, including flying around the Kremlin.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl