Anyone in South Florida know a good place that is safe and legal to fly? Tired of problems...

Reaction score
I am really enjoying my new phantom outside a few bad experiences with other people. I took it to the public beach to take video of sharks out in the water but I was quickly shut down by the police who explained drones are banned there. I was told my info is in the system and I can't come back or I will be fined. So I figured I better stick to flying near my house when I had another incident.

Today I was flying out right down the street from my house on a big open public canal back doing some testing with my new DBS mods antenna when I was approached by some old redneck guy in a pickup truck. He was very aggressive and agitated. He yelled and asked what I was doing. I politely explained I was hobbyist flying my quadcopter. He thought I was spying on his place to get a profile of it so I can steal his horses. The assertion was beyond ridiculous as I only flew over the canal and the nature preserve, not over anyones private property and I never went below 300ft expect to take off and land or when I was deep in the preserve. Not to mentioned I am sitting out in the middle of the canal bank, not trying to hide anything or be clandestine. He finally believed me and calmed down. I tried to explained that from 300ft things appear tiny but he didn't believe me, "my nephew has one and it can zoom in on horses". Told me that people in these parts don't take kindly to be spied on and will shoot down my "drone" eventually.

I am getting a bit frustrated and feel it only a matter of time before there is some sort of serious incident with an ignorant person or LEO. Does anyone in South Florida know of a good place to fly where I won't bother anyone or be bothered? I know there are AMA airfields but lets face it Phantoms are probably not looked up well by the model airplane and heli guys, not to mention a tiny AMA airfield is not a fun place to fly. PM me or post here if anyone knows any good parks, beaches, or places that are open to flying without issues.

Thanks!!

Norman

Last edited:
I would of ask police for the code number for not flying

Reactions: TontoFAC
I am really enjoying my new phantom outside a few bad experiences with other people. I took it to the public beach to take video of sharks out in the water but I was quickly shut down by the police who explained drones are banned there. I was told my info is in the system and I can't come back or I will be fined. So I figured I better stick to flying near my house when I had another incident.

Today I was flying out right down the street from my house on a big open public canal back doing some testing with my new DBS mods antenna when I was approached by some old redneck guy in a pickup truck. He was very aggressive and agitated. He yelled and asked what I was doing. I politely explained I was hobbyist flying my quadcopter. He thought I was spying on his place to get a profile of it so I can steal his horses. The assertion was beyond ridiculous as I only flew over the canal and the nature preserve, not over anyones private property and I never went below 300ft expect to take off and land or when I was deep in the preserve. Not to mentioned I am sitting out in the middle of the canal bank, not trying to hide anything or be clandestine. He finally believed me and calmed down. I tried to explained that from 300ft things appear tiny but he didn't believe me, "my nephew has one and it can zoom in on horses". Told me that people in these parts don't take kindly to be spied on and will shoot down my "drone" eventually.

I am getting a bit frustrated and feel it only a matter of time before there is some sort of serious incident with an ignorant person or LEO. Does anyone in South Florida know of a good place to fly where I won't bother anyone or be bothered? I know there are AMA airfields but lets face it Phantoms are probably not looked up well by the model airplane and heli guys, not to mention a tiny AMA airfield is not a fun place to fly. PM me or post here if anyone knows any good parks, beaches, or places that are open to flying without issues.

Thanks!!

Norman

Good question Norm. I'm looking for similar. Markham Parks field requires AMA + Markham Park authorization.... that's a $100 all tolled. Every park I check out, NO MODEL RC AIRCRAFT, NO DRONES ALLOWED, NO NO NO!!!

US 27 is loaded with power lines on either side. I could not get a compass calibration.

I went out to the everglades last week. I think it was the first recreational area westbound/northbound I stopped at. NO FUN. Lose that over the glades and your SOL. Lemme know if you find something.

Hello Norman,
Sorry to hear that! BUMMER MAN!
I'm in Sarasota, to date without incident? But I found a few key items along the way.
1) if flying around people ( beach, park, ect. ) I walk around letting people know I'm going to be flying, and would be happy to answer any questions! 99% of the time most turn to interest not aggression. I even let them look at my phone while I fly around. " positive influence "

2) TIME ( most important )
I find parks, beaches, ect, are better to film during sunset hours, rather than high noon, and fully populated!
Later means less people, plus here, sunsets ROCK!
3) if someone is stubborn ( or any negative impact at all ) I simply, say I UNDERSTAND, I'll come back another time, take care! And I do, I'll go back a day later and usually I'll get a better crowd.
4)
I also made a sign, says aerial photography in progress , will be happy to answer any questions AFTER I land safely! Thank You!
( this seems to lighten the blow, I'll sometimes get an older couple or kids gather, but they wait patiently for me to land, and some ask great questions! )

Things like this can help you on your quest, like I said, I've been lucky for 3 years now, without incident, I did have some people ask me not to fly around them ( I respected their wishes ) no big deal, everyone is different, and unique! Remember you can't please everyone all the time!
I've also never been told I cannot fly here? I do stay away from preserves, as we have several armature/pro photographers, that I'm sure would punch me in the eye for scaring their birds away! Lol but I'd never do that!

Hope this helps,
J Dot

Reactions: dirkclod and JBJO
Come fly with me in Boca Raton. I haven't had one issue, but then again, maybe I'm just getting lucky. Another member here, oblivie, flies regularly at Commercial Blvd/A1A in Fort Lauderdale. Oblivie and I are actually going to be headed to Port Saint Lucie tomorrow and headed to see Chuck from DBS mods. You are welcome to come, just PM me your number and I'll send you my info.

Reactions: Realestatepro82
Reactions: Realestatepro82
Yes, I agree, flying a drone at Markham is ridiculous, first, the model airplane people look at us as scum, like we aren't worthy to even be there, the requirements second and then the area they have marked off for helicopters is I guess where they want a drone to fly in, the people making these rules have no clue how well our machines fly, at least my drone will come back to home if I lose signal, what happens if one of the snobs flying their model jets lose connection, it becomes a 100 mph missle.

I've been flying in areas east of Sawgrass Mills Mall, Plantation has a couple of parks in the area and I've not had a problem. Also I've seen people flying off the Sawgrass Expressway in Coral Springs.

Good question Norm. I'm looking for similar. Markham Parks field requires AMA + Markham Park authorization.... that's a $100 all tolled. Every park I check out, NO MODEL RC AIRCRAFT, NO DRONES ALLOWED, NO NO NO!!!

US 27 is loaded with power lines on either side. I could not get a compass calibration.

I went out to the everglades last week. I think it was the first recreational area westbound/northbound I stopped at. NO FUN. Lose that over the glades and your SOL. Lemme know if you find something.

I'm flying in a small field off Federal Highway in pompano. And haven't encountered any problems, maybe 10-15 flights so far. Mostly I just go over neighborhoods at about 300 feet, try to follow the roads, and haven't had any problems. I find at 300 feet I can't see or hear the drone from the ground. I never loiter. I also fly off the top of 60 foot tall parking structure at my condo. Great signal strength.

I too have friends in coral springs that fly off the Sawgrass. But I haven't been out there.

I'm flying in a small field off Federal Highway in pompano.

Just curious if Pompano Beach Airpark is of any concern? I would think their NFZ would encompass all of US1 north into Deerfield and south into Oakland Park.

I'm always looking for somewhere to fly. Spend a lot of time on Google Maps sat view scanning every open area and patch of green.

Just curious if Pompano Beach Airpark is of any concern? I would think their NFZ would encompass all of US1 north into Deerfield and south into Oakland Park.

I'm always looking for somewhere to fly. Spend a lot of time on Google Maps sat view scanning every open area and patch of green.
Pompano beach airport is Class D, at least during daylight hours, when the tower is closed, it becomes class G. Probably best to avoid.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using PhantomPilots mobile app

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I'm looking for a place to fly my drone. We were just kicked out of the local park. I'm really trying to avoid Markham and West Delray the area for drones is tiny.

Last edited:
I'm flying in a small field off Federal Highway in pompano. And haven't encountered any problems, maybe 10-15 flights so far. Mostly I just go over neighborhoods at about 300 feet, try to follow the roads, and haven't had any problems. I find at 300 feet I can't see or hear the drone from the ground. I never loiter. I also fly off the top of 60 foot tall parking structure at my condo. Great signal strength.

I too have friends in coral springs that fly off the Sawgrass. But I haven't been out there.

My understanding this is the same place where they used to fly helicopters which has long since been gated up. There were people doing gliders across the street but last I was there a couple weeks ago that was fenced up too unless there is a different place.

I’m in the Sunrise, FL area and am looking for people to fly with... so far I’ve found that Heritage Planration park allows drones anywhere.... I’ve also done to the beach right at the end of sunrise Blvd and have had no problem flying where there are few people. Im having a hard time finding anywhere else to fly or anyone to fly with... anyone I. This area?

I live in South Florida too, in Weston. I fly around here no problem. I've flown in a few of the local parks and just get clearance from the ranger or the cops. Everyone has been cool.
I'm up for a drone meet. I have a Phantom 4 Pro.

Tropical park off of Bird Rd or Miller Rd is great to fly in Miami. Huge place and no one bothers me.

Hi Norman,

I started flying a Goldberg falcon 60 with the Tropic Aeros? In 1972 on the old tamiami airport. Since then I have flown everything from nitro 60 excel copters to twin engine nitros in 4 states. If you fly in a large city, My recommendation is to join the AMA and find a club near you. Yes, the FAA is “pain”, but the AMA and it’s individual members have worked for years with government (local & Federal) to find, develop and maintain flying sites. I have seen clubs challenged to fly with non powered gliders, electric Helies or drones when the members want changes. Maybe we need specific hrs or days or airspace for your interests.

Yes, I have three drones and since my stroke I fly indoors or in my yard. But other people have a strong sense of possession about their personal space, incredible misconceptions about we can do with a phantom and own guns! Sadly this is not helped with “stories” about what you can do with a “reaper”

Anyone else interested in flying around Ft Lauderdale area? Still trying to find places to fly around here...

i am hoping and looking to find others, with as many drones out there, one would think there would be people that fly them, I am down in the kendale lakes area, hook up to fly sometimes? let me know, email is>> [email protected]
I read one person here say tropical park, over by bird and about 75 ave or so? any other areas in southwest dade county?
[oh ya, i own a SG700-D, 720p, two cams, this is my first, so it was the cheapest, but it has a lot going for it. have flown it once and it is smooth, and easy to fly. anyone else own one of those? ]
Howard

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers