What is causing the live video feeds to have screen tears?

Reaction score
Yesterday while I was flying my Phantom 4 Pro, I noticed that there were screen tears on my tablet display. Just in case you don't understand what I am talking about, I am referring to screen tears as in mismatches in the video image feed similar to how tears form on a PC when there is a mismatch in frames per second between a graphics card and monitor in cases such as gaming. When I discovered the tears, I shut down my Phantom, remote and DJI Go 4 app on my Samsung Galaxy Tablet and rebooted them. I still had the video tears appear on my display and decided to abort the remainder of my practice flight.

Today. I checked the video feed out in the basement of my house. After powering up my tablet and app and connecting with the Phantom, I noticed a slight screen tear. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app on the tablet and the tear still appeared briefly then disappeared. I installed the app on my Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone and connected it with the Phantom and as far as I could tell, there were no tears on the video feed.

My tablet is in a black protective case. I have been flying the Phantom on a former middle school football field in my neighborhood. I have been flying in temperatures ranging in the 90s Fahrenheit. I looked at the camera on the Phantom and as far as I can tell there is no physical damage.

My only guesses to the cause of the problem are:
1. The outside temperature and sunlight has been impacting the circuitry on the Phantom, remote, and/or tablet.
2. There may be some type of signal interference from somewhere in my neighbor hood that is impacting the communication between the Phantom, remote, and/or tablet.

Would anyone be able to tell me the likely cause of the problem? Is it something that I may not have even thought about?

Thanks in advance.

Reaper, hello!

Your live feed tearing and lagging is most certainly caused by the latest firmware pumping out more data from your drone to your tablet than the CPU of the tablet can handle.
The latest firmware adds more and more download data, and not even the fastest iPad Mini Pro can handle it all, since the firmware has actually been optimized for the DJI internal Crystal Sky display on their P4P Plus remotes, which don't load any other software than their Go 4 app anyway.

Confirm this by:

a) stopping all other apps from running in the background on your Tablet and only running Go 4.
b) in your GO 4 with your drone on and connected, go to your HD setting and select Custom, then the bottom right select 6Mb/s or 4Mb/s.
c) now try it.

HTH
JM2c
YMMV etc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan