What is a good height to avoid Seagulls?

Seagulls can fly much better than you will ever fly so I wouldn't be worried, you won't hit one. They will get out of the way.

Reactions: DroneOnNDP
That's pretty hard to tell I would stay 3x+ the altitude they are from the ground and if they come for you punch it straight up vertical, they can't do that, and once cleared scram as fast as you can. If they are nesting they may defend their nesting ground, that go's for all birds. I have some around here gulls, crows, geese and they will check me out but don't bother me, I never chase or spook them, show them respect and keep your distance and they won't try to take you down.

Reactions: clifford88888888
I can't count how many times I have seen some three year old squawling to his/her Moma because some feathered rat (seagull) swooped down and took the food right out of his/her hand and scared the bejesus out of the kid in doing it. They won't even let us shoot them here in Flor-I-Duh. So if your Phantom wins a round, let us know.

Thanks

I can't count how many times I have seen some three year old squawling to his/her Moma because some feathered rat (seagull) swooped down and took the food right out of his/her hand and scared the bejesus out of the kid in doing it. They won't even let us shoot them here in Flor-I-Duh. So if your Phantom wins a round, let us know.

Thanks
I've heard alka seltzer works on them.

Reactions: Aotearoa Kiwi
I live on the coast in New Zealand, needless to say a lot of seagulls from time to time. There seem to be 2 scenarios - on the open beach, they come have a look, maybe circle a couple of times then carry on doing whatever they were up to before. The other scenario is when I fly near cliffs - probably near their nests or what they consider to be their home - in this case, the come in sometimes great numbers and circle the P4 for what seems to be forever - I used to shoot straight up to try avoiding them but after a while realized that they never come more than withing 10 feet of the craft, so I nowadays usually just carry on flying along with my entourage. once you fly a bit further along, they start do detach and leave, only to be replaced by the next 'colony'. No hits yet.

Reactions: azgeek and Ciaran
40 years in the sky flying airliners here. As a general rule birds will dive (literately fold their wings and drop) when confronted. As a drone is much smaller than a plane it might differ, especially if a drone gets into the territory of a bird of prey like a hawk, kestrel or eagle, but sea gulls and pigeons are not prey birds so my bet is they will fold & dive to get away from you. Let us know what behavior you see from them.

40 years in the sky flying airliners here. As a general rule birds will dive (literately fold their wings and drop) when confronted. As a drone is much smaller than a plane it might differ, especially if a drone gets into the territory of a bird of prey like a hawk, kestrel or eagle, but sea gulls and pigeons are not prey birds so my bet is they will fold & dive to get away from you. Let us know what behavior you see from them.
Hey Bus Driver, that is pretty interesting. I have tried mucking around with some crows before. Crows are fairly large birds as common small birds go, maybe around the general size of a gull. They travel in flocks of HUNDREDS around here so one day I flew under a big thick cloud of crows and tried to rise straight up in among them. Outnumbered as I was the crows wanted nothing to do with the little drone, and crows are fairly aggressive birds. That black cloud parted like the Red Sea and gave little drone lots of room. 40 years, heh? Congratulations.

Crows are pretty smart birds. I've seen them go after baby song birds when they are hungry, but they will usually avoid things bigger them themselves. I've marveled at the synchronized motion of large flocks, I wonder how they do that without massive collisions!

And thanks, started at my first airline at 19, getting close to retiring now an just getting started with this drone stuff for grins. It is the same science, but completely different controls and capabilities.

Maybe paint an intimidating, vicious looking ,shark face with open mouth and glaring teeth on the front. Like seen on boats and ships. A scaregull, so to speak.

Hang a bag of popcorn from the drone by a quick detach pin. If seagulls come, just drop the popcorn and go sport mode!!

I've had crows attack the UAV when I enter their nesting area. No actual contact (that I could see), but continued diving and passing at the drone.

I am flying the Seattle area and have noticed a lot of these thing? Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
I fly in Seattle too, near Elliott Bay Marina, and there are always Seagulls around. I've never had an issue with them. They usually stay away, however, they do seem to like making an appearance in my video's. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl