What happens after battery goes dead?

Reaction score
After the light starts flashing red, then what happens....every time it has gone red I have plenty of time to land as long as I am close. I was flying fpv tonight and couldnt see the light flashing red when the battery was going dead. Luckily I was landing when the phantom began to come down on its own. So, my question is, after the light starts to blink how much flight time is left and what does the phantom do?

As the batteries age, the time left to fly after the red flash will get shorter and shorter, different batteries will also have different times . . . .

discharging a lithium battery to far can cause permeant damage or even fire. It's may also cause erratic flying making the phantom unstable or even crash.

If your flying FPV I'd suggest setting up a OSD with the battery voltage, and use that as a guide, but always be prepared for it to decend!

In the Naza settings you have battery settings and here you choose what it does and at what battery voltage level, by default it will flash red at your first warning voltage level. Then once it reaches the next level it will start to raise throttle percentage needed for hover until 90% throttle is needed to hover. At this point you should already have landed but if you haven't it will come down pretty quick. If you are a little far away as the second protection level kicks in you can raise throttle to avoid coming down too fast but get down ASAP. I think the ESC will cut power to motors at 3.2v per cell so 9.6v but you don't want to get anywhere near this. Just leave all battery settings at defaults unless you know what your doing and understand what each option does and how running your battery too low will shorten its lifespan.

You should never run your batteries to this level.
I also fly Blade 450 Xs . I am told that 8 - 10 mins is the flying time associated with the 2200 3S batteries that I use. I ALWAYS have a timer (set on my DX6i or DX7s) which buzzes after 4.00 mins. At this time I head for mother earth as quickly as poss.

With this setting I find I usually recharge my batteries from about 40 to 50% capacity. I would heartily recommend a similar idea for the phantom. Although timing the flight on your watch may be a pain. it (or something similar) will save heartache and money.

Sound advice for sure.

I just got a DX8, and one of the reasons was to have a voltage monitor on the radio, and of course the timer.

Typically, I can get about 8 minutes, sometimes 10. I prefer to keep it under 8 though, so I plan my shot unless I'm just goofing around.

D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers