What happened to the DJI Instructional Video on Disassembling a Phantom 4?

Reaction score
I had it I think via YouTube or perhaps on the DJI site a couple months ago and really need it for reference right now and it seems to have vanished. I know there are others on YouTube but for a variety of reasons most of those videos I find to be too painful to watch. The DJI video was clear and to the point.

Thank you for any help.

Early January and yes it was DJI and the video was not unlike many of the other videos tutorials that are on the site. My business took me away from this hobby of mine and I all the appropriate tools necessary in my electronics Workshop but being that I'm in Honolulu there's only one repair Tech that I know and he is backed up two - three weeks. It was a very professional and to the point presentation. And now that I see the site again for this first time in a couple months I know they have completely erased all traces of phantom 4 so I think I have answered my own question. And if you are really a moderator on this site that is specific to the P4 I think you would know that as well.
Clearly they are no longer supporting Phantom 4 at all. The same thing happened when I had the original Phantom one I was running my calibrations using a laptop that has Windows 7 when I upgraded to a Windows 10 computer I could no longer even calibrate that drone anymore because they chose not to update the software.

Thank you for your kind attention to this matter.

Reactions: Former Member
Early January and yes it was DJI and the video was not unlike many of the other videos tutorials that are on the site. My business took me away from this hobby of mine and I all the appropriate tools necessary in my electronics Workshop but being that I'm in Honolulu there's only one repair Tech that I know and he is backed up two - three weeks. It was a very professional and to the point presentation. And now that I see the site again for this first time in a couple months I know they have completely erased all traces of phantom 4 so I think I have answered my own question. And if you are really a moderator on this site that is specific to the P4 I think you would know that as well.
Clearly they are no longer supporting Phantom 4 at all. The same thing happened when I had the original Phantom one I was running my calibrations using a laptop that has Windows 7 when I upgraded to a Windows 10 computer I could no longer even calibrate that drone anymore because they chose not to update the software.

Thank you for your kind attention to this matter.

Why are you trying to disassemble it? Whats the problem? I have taken apart hundreds of them.

And if you are really a moderator on this site that is specific to the P4 I think you would know that as well.
Moderator or not, I've never seen such a video from DJI but plenty from 3rd parties.
I've also seen DJI advise against opening your Phantom many times and making a video to show you how to just doesn't seem like something they would do.

Perhaps you'll find a non-DJI video to help: LMGTFY

I had it I think via YouTube or perhaps on the DJI site a couple months ago and really need it for reference right now and it seems to have vanished. I know there are others on YouTube but for a variety of reasons most of those videos I find to be too painful to watch. The DJI video was clear and to the point.

Thank you for any help.
You are not crazy. I have seen the video and it was indeed from DJI. It was a complete teardown video of the Phantom 4. It was incredibly helpful and took the craft from fully assembled, down to bare components. I personally used it to replace a main controller board in a Phantom 4. It didn't skip any parts or gloss over anything. Really well done. The only comment I had was on how they trivialize taking apart the upper and lower shell after removing the screws. It's a major pain getting to all those tiny snaps without damaging or scuffing the shell. That is with all the right tools too.

I did not realize they had taken it down till I just checked now. I cannot find it anywhere. I too found it strange initially since DJI does not have such videos for any other model. It was a one-off and it really would be helpful to have such videos for all of the models. Shame they took it down.

Reactions: markpovraznik
I have contacted DJI by email but I'm pretty sure I already know the answer which is they are in the business of selling new drones and having people send broken ones in for repair. I have the tools and skills to do the job myself and it's just nice to have a good reference from someone who not only has done it before but does it well and I just don't like almost everything I see on YouTube.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Moderator or not, I've never seen such a video from DJI but plenty from 3rd parties.
I've also seen DJI advise against opening your Phantom many times and making a video to show you how to just doesn't seem like something they would do.

Perhaps you'll find a non-DJI video to help: LMGTFY

Thank you again. My only question was whether anybody has seen such a video and apparently you have not although I have gotten a response from somebody else because remember the video that was on no more than two months ago. I'm not asking for assistance and whether DJI encourages or discourages people from working on their drones it's really no concern of mine other than the fact that it would hamper their business of repairing drones. I really don't mean to sound like or be a jerk or in any way disrespectful but as I said I'm not sure to ask any questions nor to provide my references or resume of electrical experience pardon me but your response seems a little condescending. But thank you I appreciate your input.

I agree. The last time I saw this video was in January. I am not completely certain , but I believe I saw it on YouTube although I cannot find it in my Watched Video History but that seems to happen when videos are deleted. Further, nothing currently appears on the DJI website. The reason I thought it was DJI producing it was it was very very well made. The sub-titling was spot-on and it was done and didn't have blaring techno music in the background, endless unnecessary commentary, or constant sales pitches to purchase components off some other website.

This is the response I received from DJI after inquiring:

FROM DJI:

Dear Mark,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

We appreciate you letting us know of your concern. I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with your DJI product.

As of the moment, we do not have a disassembly video for the Phantom 4. May we know what is the issue of your Phantom 4? We might be able to help you.

We also offer repair services.
If the unit is covered under warranty, you will not need to pay.
If the unit is beyond warranty, you will receive a quotation via email and you can decide if you would like to pay for the repair or not.
You can have the unit sent back to you without repair if you decide not to pay.
The outbound shipping may be charged if it’s not a warranty unit.

Thank you for your understanding.

We'll look forward to your response.

Should you have any other questions, please let us know.

Thank you for choosing DJI.
Best Regards,

Jeff
DJI Technical Support

"As of the moment, we do not have a disassembly video for the Phantom 4."

That response does not answer the question of whether they took the video down and just restates the question I asked. It's the very reason I inquired because at this moment they do not have a video showing disassembly of the Phantom 4. The rest is just a pitch for me to use their repair services. If I wanted to do that I would have done that in the first place.

The bottom line is it's their video and they can do whatever they want as far as posting it or not but you have to put it up and then taking it down is just poor customer service in my opinion. I damaged one of the arms on my drone and wanted to take everything out and put it into a new shell. Simple as that. I can logically go through the process it's just that it was a great reference and they're just seemingly doing this try to generate more revenue for their repair department than anything else.

Or ... they never had such a video and the one you saw was from another source.
Perhaps, but two other people have responded to my thread and confirm that this video existed. I find it interesting that the two responses I get from moderators are in line with DJI Representatives in that they claim no such video existed, dissuaded me from doing it myself and encouraged me to use DJI repair service. Your response sounds like you work for DJI.

I'm actually done with this issue but in closing I want to point out that the response I get was narrowly frames to say at this moment the video does not exist which leaves open whether or not it was posted and has been deleted. If that is the case then it is just their policy to not provide any assistance to people who may in fact be more than qualified to do it themselves and that's their business but at least be honest about it, right?

Thank you for your response. I think the real motivation for me even to press this issue is over the last year I have encountered more and more very poor customer service when dealing with companies in general. Whether it's Amazon or PayPal or my bank or my credit cards or anything it's becoming more and more of a problem to get any kind of help from companies when you call them. They are either evasive or or put the emphasis on how they are not at fault instead of focusing on a solution so whatever problems the customer presents because in the end they're just trying to sell their products and services. It seems the overwhelming majority of customer service is now a company telling you to use a "forum" comprised of other customers and although there is a lot of good experience and advice most of the time it seems like it's just the blind leading the blind.

I will now step down off my soapbox I've spent way too much time on this issue and I apologize for all my pontification but this whole "customer service" issue just touches a raw nerve.

I find it interesting that the two responses I get from moderators are in line with DJI Representatives in that they claim no such video existed, dissuaded me from doing it myself and encouraged me to use DJI repair service. Your response sounds like you work for DJI.
You only had responses from one moderator in this forum (me) and I didn't do anything to dissuade you from doing it yourself. or encourage you to use DJI's repair service.
I've worked on my own Phantoms, I've paid independent repair guys to work on my Phantoms and even used DJI's repair service.
Any of the above are OK for me.
If you asked on DJI's own forum, they might have told you anything and there's a good chance it would be wrong anyway..
There's no DJI in this forum at all.
I'm actually done with this issue but in closing I want to point out that the response I get was narrowly frames to say at this moment the video does not exist which leaves open whether or not it was posted and has been deleted. If that is the case then it is just their policy to not provide any assistance to people who may in fact be more than qualified to do it themselves and that's their business but at least be honest about it, right?
A DJI video as described might have existed, but I think it's very unlikely since DJI have never made anything similar and don't encourage you to open the Phantom and work on it.
Companies generally don't encourage you to tinker with sophisticated equipment.
Mostly because they don't want less technologically competent people causing more problems than they attempt to fix.
It seems the overwhelming majority of customer service is now a company telling you to use a "forum" comprised of other customers and although there is a lot of good experience and advice most of the time it seems like it's just the blind leading the blind.
Forums are a lucky dip.
There are some members that have very good information and are a very useful resource for those wanting help.
That's cost effective for the company and a real help for users.
There are also members that don't get things right all the time and can give poor advice.
The trick is in working out who is worth listening to.

Perhaps, but two other people have responded to my thread and confirm that this video existed. I find it interesting that the two responses I get from moderators are in line with DJI Representatives in that they claim no such video existed, dissuaded me from doing it myself and encouraged me to use DJI repair service. Your response sounds like you work for DJI.

Thank you for your response. I think the real motivation for me even to press this issue is over the last year I have encountered more and more very poor customer service when dealing with companies in general. Whether it's Amazon or PayPal or my bank or my credit cards or anything it's becoming more and more of a problem to get any kind of help from companies when you call them. They are either evasive or or put the emphasis on how they are not at fault instead of focusing on a solution so whatever problems the customer presents because in the end they're just trying to sell their products and services. It seems the overwhelming majority of customer service is now a company telling you to use a "forum" comprised of other customers and although there is a lot of good experience and advice most of the time it seems like it's just the blind leading the blind.

I will now step down off my soapbox I've spent way too much time on this issue and I apologize for all my pontification but this whole "customer service" issue just touches a raw nerve.
Yes mate the video existed..watched it many times for when your dissecting a P4 for the first time, this one had accurate and precise info..and even how to reassemble step by step..there are other good videos online any mate dont stress ..cheers!

Reactions: PhantomFandom
In May 2019 I posted on here asking if anyone had seen an instructional video for the complete teardown of the Phantom 4 which at the time I had seen not more that 2 or 3 months before than (Early 2019). I believed I had seen it on YouTube, but it could have been on the DJI website...either way, a couple people agreed that they had seen it and it had mysteriously vanished. Others basically said I was mistaken. Well, 5b minutes ago I saw it again on YouTube. It is posted by Timerepairs. In the first 5 seconds it says "Phantom 4 Disassembly Tutiorial Video -- Internal Use", and in the description it says it is meant for repair techs. I agree and I remember that it had very high production value and was done incredibly well as compared to some of the wonderful (ugh) repair videos currently posted on YouTube currently. I know that if I don't like them I should make my own and quit complaining but this is a DJI production...AS IT SHOULD BE. I think its great and I hope it is helpful to all of you who are interested in DYI repair. I do not suggest self repair. I have learned from a lot of failures but experience and a lot of time and money have led to me developing my skills. For me, I don't have the time to send stuff in for repairs although it does take me alot of time for me to do the jobs correctly to my liking and its easy to screw things up badly. You MUST have the proper tools, jeweler's glasses, a ton of patience, and attention to detail. Good luck, have fun.

Anyway, here's the link, great video, no excessive blah, blah, blah or dreary musical selections, .....https://youtu.be/1QdfUzFbO0A

Last edited:
In May 2019 I posted on here asking if anyone had seen an instructional video for the complete teardown of the Phantom 4 which at the time I had seen not more that 2 or 3 months before than (Early 2019). I believed I had seen it on YouTube, but it could have been on the DJI website...either way, a couple people agreed that they had seen it and it had mysteriously vanished. Others basically said I was mistaken. Well, 5b minutes ago I saw it again on YouTube. It is posted by Timerepairs. In the first 5 seconds it says "Phantom 4 Disassembly Tutiorial Video -- Internal Use", and in the description it says it is meant for repair techs. I agree and I remember that it had very high production value and was done incredibly well as compared to some of the wonderful (ugh) repair videos currently posted on YouTube currently. I know that if I don't like them I should make my own and quit complaining but this is a DJI production...AS IT SHOULD BE. I think its great and I hope it is helpful to all of you who are interested in DYI repair. I do not suggest self repair. I have learned from a lot of failures but experience and a lot of time and money have led to me developing my skills. For me, I don't have the time to send stuff in for repairs although it does take me alot of time for me to do the jobs correctly to my liking and its easy to screw things up badly. You MUST have the proper tools, jeweler's glasses, a ton of patience, and attention to detail. Good luck, have fun.

Anyway, here's the link, great video, no excessive blah, blah, blah or dreary musical selections, .....https://youtu.be/1QdfUzFbO0A
I believe you are correct, they sure do appear to be authentic DJI videos. I also tend to believe that they are “leaked “ videos. As @Meta4 said, DJI as a company doesn’t put out any information that would help aid a person to do DIY repairs on any of their products.

Thank you for any help.
try the 'irepairMD' guy on youtube; he's very smart

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31