What flight time should I expect?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

since price is lower than ever, I decided to buy DJI Phantom 3 professional.. I'm reading reviews, watching youtube videos etc etc. I really want to be prepared and know exactley what to expect.

There's one information that's very often different, it's flight time (we could add control range here too). I see DJI Phantom 3 is listed on list of quadcopters with best flight time . But is it really truth that it can stay in air for more than 20-22 minutes?

Thanks!!
Future P3 owner :)

I get 18 minute flights with 30% battery left. You do the math. You could get 20 minutes and maybe be pushing it a bit but it is possible. Just be sure you are close and low enough that when it gets real low you can land quickly. Get it, you will love it.

There's one information that's very often different, it's flight time (we could add control range here too). I see DJI Phantom 3 is listed on list of quadcopters with best flight time . But is it really truth that it can stay in air for more than 20-22 minutes?
Yes, it can. In fact, the P3 Standard has a DJI estimated 25minute flight time, but with a topped-up battery, I can reach up to 27.

It all depends on the wind conditions and also how you fly the bird. If its really cold or hot outside...how fast you fly (Full speed non-stop) or if you sit and hover for 20 to 25 minutes I feel is average.

15-16 minutes, depending on the amount of manoeuvring you do, taking the battery down to 30%, which will give you maximum battery life and reliability.

18-19 minutes down to 8%, but battery really starts heating up then if you are in warm weather.

22 minutes if you want to destroy your battery in short order, and Phantom does emergency landing. See my stats here:
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1458171713.937715.jpg

Altitude matters, too. All my flights are at 5000-6000 feet. (All my takeoff altitudes are too, of course). What's 17 minutes at sea level is more like 15 minutes here. If that.

14-16 minutes on full charge = 30% remaining battery.

As you can see, it depends on how much work you're asking the bird to do. Personally, I don't like to go much below 40% which usually equates to 10-15 minutes in winter. They run cooler, recharge faster and will live longer than if they're routinely mistreated. Keep a close eye on the power bar at the top of the app, which will tell you the no-wind RTH point. If you took off down wind and will have a long slog back home, you'll be really pushing the battery. And they're too expensive to replace!

Variables.....are what matters with flight time.

Wind speed, head wind, tail wind, wind gust encountered.
Then flight characteristics, full throttle, half throttle, altitude.
Then comes flight direction, N, E, S, W.
And last but not least...temperature. The closer to near perfect flight temp will provide the best flight time result.

Like @CCDD mentioned, 14-15 min with 30% charge remaining. I agree with this if the air temp is roughly 60 degrees.

A very important word of advice would be......to treat the 30% remaining charge percentage as if it was actually 10% remaining. The time goes by much quicker the lower the remaining charge is. Also know that the condition of the cells in your batteries will dictate flight big time while flying in cooler temps.

Btw, the above info is good to know knowledge.

Not sure about your batteries. I always get around 18 minutes, and this is having it on the ground at, or near the 30 second warning. One time when I had a crowd having to watch and ask questions, then take selfies with the drone, I got it down below 10 percent, so we'll over 20 minutes at that point.

People taking selfies with the drone is always amusing. Having it hover and they all crowd around...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic