What do you think of this modification?

I spoke with Tony from FPVLR. He said that placing the antenna out on the arm is a good place "from an RF standpoint, meaning it's a good location for good transmission."

However he mentioned that two of his concerns are that the antenna is more prone to damage out there on the arm and that placing the video transmitter inside the phantom could possible cause interference with the phantoms control receiver since they would only be a few inches from each other, the "control receiver will be swamped by your 5.8ghz video transmitter and could affect control range."

Maybe a 200mw or even 25mw transmitter will less likely swamp the phantoms receiver. Maybe the vtx can be shilded somehow. Maybe a shorter vtx antenna would be less prone to damage out on the arm.

For now I'm putting this project on hold due to these issues and others you all mentioned. Thanks for the input.

mendezl said:
Just thought of using a propeller guard. The outside guard part can be cut off leaving just the roundish mount part that screws on. Could mount the antenna to that and then screw that in. No drill holes.

Even better would be the clip on 3d printed prop guards. No screws, no drills.

So I emailed Tony with FPVLR. I bought antennas from him. There are some legit issues you all have mentioned, if he also says it is a bad idea then I'll scrap this project.

But, you are extending your weight even further out. The fasteners, I mention would make no holes necessary.

However, I really doubt this will help much, or any, towards your goal.

mendezl said:
I spoke with Tony from FPVLR. He said that placing the antenna out on the arm is a good place "from an RF standpoint, meaning it's a good location for good transmission."

However he mentioned that two of his concerns are that the antenna is more prone to damage out there on the arm and that placing the video transmitter inside the phantom could possible cause interference with the phantoms control receiver since they would only be a few inches from each other, the "control receiver will be swamped by your 5.8ghz video transmitter and could affect control range."

Maybe a 200mw or even 25mw transmitter will less likely swamp the phantoms receiver. Maybe the vtx can be shilded somehow. Maybe a shorter vtx antenna would be less prone to damage out on the arm.

For now I'm putting this project on hold due to these issues and others you all mentioned. Thanks for the input.

I know what RF means and I don't agree with your expert.

FPVLR said:
Hi, this is Tony from FPVLR
I want to clarify what I said.
The tx being inside and close to the receiver has no effect, since the antenna is the one that radiates, not the transmitter.

My concern is that having a 5.8 Ghz transmitter on the copter when the radio control receiver is also 5.8GHz is not a good idea,
control range will definitely be cut down significantly.

Hey Tony, the Non-Vision Phantom 2 uses 2.4ghz for the radio control signal. So this is good news as 5.8 and 2.4 should not interfere with each other from what I understand. Thanks for clarifying.

Here is the for now antenna and transmitter mounting.

Attachments

• IMG_20150107_181811.jpg
    IMG_20150107_181811.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 297

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl