What did I do to my P2

Reaction score
I have had my P2 with H3-3D for a few months. The 1st month I spent reading manuals, the forums here and ll the videos I could consume. My plan was learn to fly then add the camera and gimbal. All was good, added prop guards and had several successful flight days, only 1 tip over on the first day. I set it up in NAZAM mode. Now I am ready to remove the guards and add the gimbal and camera but first I wanted to install the wider longer legs. Thats were it all went wrong..

I installed the compass on the new legs as low as it would go, not perpendicular but close, without stretching cable. No gimbal, calibrated controller and compass. Flight test was awful, hovering was about a 30 ft TBE and J hooking. Would seem to get better with time.
I then decided to put the original legs back, compass in original location, re calibrate same symptom. I also noticed the decent was not the 2 m/sec, but really fast, quit scary. I then did a firmware upgrade from 3.02 to 3.04, an advanced IMU calibration, compass and controller calibration, compass number about 1400. Still same thing and had my first crash, no damage. I was checking straight flight and it J hooked and on deceleration to hover it headed for a tree.

Sorry for long post but wanted to provide all the details. Any ideas on getting my P2 back to the way it was.

Hello,
If, when you removed and replaced the compass,
You used a MAGNETIC SCREWDRIVER, you may have to
RESET your compass?

( not sure if that is the problem or not? Just a thought,
Please keep is informed!

Here is a video:

http://youtu.be/kCT1rRE_UIg

Take Care, Fly Safe!

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I was careful with the removal and used a non magnetic screwdriver. I may try that procedure though, nothing to loose in trying. Worse case I may try replacing the compass, looks like its about $12.

J Dot said:
Hello,
If, when you removed and replaced the compass,
You used a MAGNETIC SCREWDRIVER, you may have to
RESET your compass?

( not sure if that is the problem or not? Just a thought,
Please keep is informed!

Here is a video:

Take Care, Fly Safe!

Something has happened to your compass. Check the mod value first.

PhantomPhreak said:
I have had my P2 with H3-3D for a few months. The 1st month I spent reading manuals, the forums here and ll the videos I could consume. My plan was learn to fly then add the camera and gimbal. All was good, added prop guards and had several successful flight days, only 1 tip over on the first day. I set it up in NAZAM mode. Now I am ready to remove the guards and add the gimbal and camera but first I wanted to install the wider longer legs. Thats were it all went wrong..

I installed the compass on the new legs as low as it would go, not perpendicular but close, without stretching cable. No gimbal, calibrated controller and compass. Flight test was awful, hovering was about a 30 ft TBE and J hooking. Would seem to get better with time.
I then decided to put the original legs back, compass in original location, re calibrate same symptom. I also noticed the decent was not the 2 m/sec, but really fast, quit scary. I then did a firmware upgrade from 3.02 to 3.04, an advanced IMU calibration, compass and controller calibration, compass number about 1400. Still same thing and had my first crash, no damage. I was checking straight flight and it J hooked and on deceleration to hover it headed for a tree.

Sorry for long post but wanted to provide all the details. Any ideas on getting my P2 back to the way it was.

If you did advanced IMU calibration and your compass #s are 1400 - then compass is ok. First I would pull the lid off and check compass & GPS connection in lid (under insulation) If those are good, go to assistant software -> tools -> reload default settings, THEN do advanced IMU calibration (yes sorry again), stick calibration & compass dance.

EMCSQUAR said:
If you did advanced IMU calibration and your compass #s are 1400 - then compass is ok. First I would pull the lid off and check compass & GPS connection in lid (under insulation) If those are good, go to assistant software -> tools -> reload default settings, THEN do advanced IMU calibration (yes sorry again), stick calibration & compass dance.

He has a P2. We do not have the reload default settings in the P2 assistant.

Thanks all. The mod value was 1400 after calibration at home and 1800 when I checked after calibration at the field about a mile away. Not sure if that is normal. I will pop the top and check cable. It is very possible that I loosened the compass cable trying to get the mounting lower. Will follow up, thanks.

I'm having problems getting my mod number above 1000. There is a reset BTU. Is that the same as resetting to default? My motors won't start after the GPS gets activated. I guess I'll tear mine apart again and check all the cable connections inside my Phantom. I've done the advanced IMU calibration. When it finishes, does yours let you know or is it just blank with a green arrow on the right side of the window where the blue bar goes across?

BTU = BlueTooth Unit

Have you tried resetting your compass?
Link in my post ABOVE, collin Quinn walks you through it
Quite nicely!

Here is the link again

Hope this helps!

Take care, Fly safe!

Ya. I waved the magic magnet around the compass magnet more then a dozen different times. It would change the mod numbers but they never got above 1000. I was interested in finding out how you restore the default settings but I never could find the file on DJI or any information about it. I have one more clue I picked up today that I'm going to try when I get home. My RC magically turned to having a yellow light instead of a red light. I hear that means that it's not communicating correctly to the Phantom and it has to be relinked. I'm hoping that is the reason my motors won't start.

I also noticed during calibration that it appears as though the right stick is moving for the "T" when I think it should be the left stick. It appears as though crazy things can happen when you do firmware upgrades and you don't do all the calibrations in exactly the right order.

Check in the RC assistant with RC attached that the controller is set to mode 2, it may have got changed to mode 1-(throttle on right stick)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl