What computer do use?

Reaction score
I was wondering what the specs on your guys computers are that you use for post processing? For example to run pix4d, GIS software, etc.

I have an old MacBook that can barely do anything except browse internet. I was thinking of getting a new machine

2011 Dell I7, 3.6ghz, 2x2 TB drives,16 gigs ram, GeForce GTX1050ti.

2012 Mac Pro, dual 3.33gHz Xeon, 30 GB ram, 1.5TB total SSD, 17TB total HDD, GTX 970 GPU.

Dell i5-6400 @ 2.71 GHz with 12G installed memory running Widows 10 with a total of 18 TB HD space and 2 - 35" UHD monitors

Whatever you go with, I'd highly recommend you look at purchasing from the microsoft store. Unless you build out your own, you will likely spend hours removing junkware from a new PC. If you buy from the microsoft store, it is a clean install of the latest MS OS and they have some nice builds on there (I bought an ASUS laptop from them a couple of years back. It looks like a macbook pro knockoff and functions great. That's where my future laptop purchases will be coming from). For a desktop, I'd probably just build my own however.

Reactions: Squirrel!
Any machine with gamers in mind works well with video. 32G of ram is good. Don't underestimate the need for a good video card. These will actually kick in and share the load when it comes to your final render

I run my video processing in a 2010 MacPro single processor with 6 cores, 16GB of RAM and 2GB graphics video. I have final cut pro for editing and upload to YouTube.

I built an i7-7700k Win10Pro system specifically for drone stuff and lightroom/photoshop after building a custom PC for a friend. It's rapid & stable and (important for me) nearly silent.

I recently bought the latest 10.5" iPad Pro which I use to edit my videos. The editing software that I use is an App called LumaFusion (only available on the App store for iOS currently) and it handles 4K with no issues at all. I had been using an ASUS gaming laptop prior to the iPad Pro, and although the laptop could chew through it, the iPad is in a whole other league.

I have 3 different PCs and a laptop that I'm using for 2 digital cameras, 2 video cameras, 2 GoPros and 3 drones.

I use Sony Movie Studio Platinum for editing/rendering my video projects, as I do a lot of different work making videos and I incorporate all different types of medium into the videos. Drones are just one component.

You need a VERY good video card and a good bit of memory to render without your PC shutting down. I do a lot of video compression with time-lapses and such.

I recently bought the latest 10.5" iPad Pro which I use to edit my videos. The editing software that I use is an App called LumaFusion (only available on the App store for iOS currently) and it handles 4K with no issues at all. I had been using an ASUS gaming laptop prior to the iPad Pro, and although the laptop could chew through it, the iPad is in a whole other league.

Thanks for the tip. I have been using Windows machines with Movie maker or Cyberlink PowerDirector. My wife bought me an IPad Pro 12" and I love the power. Editing Video was ultra fast and the quality was amazing. But I was not getting the hang of iMovie and tried other apps. I will give this a shot for $20.

Thank you,

Thanks for the tip. I have been using Windows machines with Movie maker or Cyberlink PowerDirector. My wife bought me an IPad Pro 12" and I love the power. Editing Video was ultra fast and the quality was amazing. But I was not getting the hang of iMovie and tried other apps. I will give this a shot for $20.

Thank you,

You're welcome.

2012 Mac Pro, dual 3.33gHz Xeon, 30 GB ram, 1.5TB total SSD, 17TB total HDD, GTX 970 GPU.

I was thinking about a similar setup but I think I will wait until the new iMac Pro comes out in Dec.

Do you also have a MacBook to use when not at home and if Not, how do you deal with this when your more then a day away from home?

New IMAC 5K Retina 27" 2017 with 8GB video card and 40GB RAM. Final Cut Pro flies on 4K footage. Love it!

No, laptops historically struggle to match the high end IMAC performance but I need to look into MacBooks one day as some are high spec. I researched IMACs big time before purchasing and waited for the Apple sale in the UK on there buy it direct website. I wanted the 8GB video card.

They have had some good discounts recently, but they never advertise them. Ring Apple direct and ask is my advice.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4