What are your limits & "Line of sight"

That link above is very dated and not necessarily valid in many respects. Just sayin'
Well, the current page on the FAA.gov website sites the same statute..336, and nothing has cleared congress (big surprise) since, that supersedes it..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

My understanding is - visual line of sight (vlos) means either you or your spotter can see it. If your spotter has a telescope, and he can see the craft, then it counts as vlos. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my understanding.
You might dig around there some. I seem to recall 'unaided visual' somewhere on the site but I could be wrong on that. (or they may have removed it)

So does LightBridge on the advanced, pro, and P4 models allow them to fly without direct line of sight? I know if you have trees around you will lose video and RC signal. Does LightBridge technology allow you to fly behind objects such as trees without losing a video feed or phantom to RC connection?

I can see my Phantom pretty far away (VLOS), but that sure doesn't mean I know its orientation (and ability to control it safely) unless I'm flying FPV, in which case I'm not VLOS...

[Here's just one example: In an updated list of sightings, the FAA detailed incidents across the country where pilots reported drones coming within feet of their aircraft. In one instance on January 30, the pilot of a medical helicopter in Miami reported a drone 100 feet below it and half a mile away from its positions

1/2 mile a away is over 2,600 feet. Can you see your drone at that distance?

i think its mostly a suggestion. my dads a lawyer and says there have to be rules so you can prosecute, but they're not all expected to be followed. kinda like speed limits. not sure why everyone is ok with speeding but scared to fly a drone out of sight.

[Here's just one example: In an updated list of sightings, the FAA detailed incidents across the country where pilots reported drones coming within feet of their aircraft. In one instance on January 30, the pilot of a medical helicopter in Miami reported a drone 100 feet below it and half a mile away from its positions

1/2 mile a away is over 2,600 feet. Can you see your drone at that distance?
Nope. I've been flying commercial and corporate aircraft for better then 30 years and have yet to see a drone anywhere near my aircraft. There is a way to "see" drones if the industry wants to spend millions in development and testing. Most aircraft have transponders that are picked up on radar by ATC , although being under 400' would limit that coverage greatly. Some transponders also have what is called "mode C" reporting, which transmits the aircraft's altitude relative to ground level. Adding these elements to a drone would add weight, increased overall size, and an increased battery power requirement. Not good. As for me, I'm happy with just flying around the house for fun. If I want to fly higher or farther......I'll just go to 'work'.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl