What are you using video for in agriculture?

Reaction score
I've seen a few folks post that they are taking video with their drones for agriculture use cases, but everyone I talk to says it is mostly still imagery that is needed. Can someone explain to me what people are using video for? Thanks!

No one has any large data usage yet. Its for aesthetics and to give clients a cool live shot. There is no practical application beyond "cool", however that doesn't mean that video isn't a huge deal. Being able to see moving imagery is always more exciting and how excited you can get your customer plays a huge role on closing deals.

I've seen a few folks post that they are taking video with their drones for agriculture use cases, but everyone I talk to says it is mostly still imagery that is needed. Can someone explain to me what people are using video for? Thanks!

I live in Massachusetts and there are a lot of cranberry growers. I have a found a number of owners that have me take still photos of each big so they can see if there are irrigation or weed problems with them. They can tell by the color if there is a leak or if there are a lot of weeds that need removal.
They will pay $100.00 for 15 to 20 pictures but I will do some for free in order to have use of there land for safe areas to fly in. The bogs and ponds and pump houses are also very beautiful to see from the air. There only other option was to hire a helicopter which costs thousands of dollars. Word of mouth travels from the growers and I have plenty of side work and love doing anyway!

Reactions: bad karma
I live in Massachusetts and there are a lot of cranberry growers. I have a found a number of owners that have me take still photos of each big so they can see if there are irrigation or weed problems with them. They can tell by the color if there is a leak or if there are a lot of weeds that need removal.
They will pay $100.00 for 15 to 20 pictures but I will do some for free in order to have use of there land for safe areas to fly in. The bogs and ponds and pump houses are also very beautiful to see from the air. There only other option was to hire a helicopter which costs thousands of dollars. Word of mouth travels from the growers and I have plenty of side work and love doing anyway!

That's awesome, thanks :) So basically they just use still images to do visual inspection. No analysis software, and no video. Is that right?

That's awesome, thanks :) So basically they just use still images to do visual inspection. No analysis software, and no video. Is that right?

Yes, I meant to clarify that they are only wanting the still photos and not the video. They then can somehow use google maps to find the GPS position and then be able to get to the exact spot on the photo that shows a problem. I would think they could do it with the video too with the right software but they only ask me for the still photos. I would think it would be helpful for most farmers and crops to be able to see problem areas in their fields. Might want to check around for any farms in your area with big fields and look into how you get the GPS information from the pictures, I'm not positive how they do it. It's a lot of fun and you can usually make some extra money and get permission to use a lot of open land to fly in!

Yes, I meant to clarify that they are only wanting the still photos and not the video. They then can somehow use google maps to find the GPS position and then be able to get to the exact spot on the photo that shows a problem. I would think they could do it with the video too with the right software but they only ask me for the still photos. I would think it would be helpful for most farmers and crops to be able to see problem areas in their fields. Might want to check around for any farms in your area with big fields and look into how you get the GPS information from the pictures, I'm not positive how they do it. It's a lot of fun and you can usually make some extra money and get permission to use a lot of open land to fly in!

Thank you! DJI writes the telemetry & location data into the photos and at the front of the videos as well. This is true for all of their drones except the Spark (which they are supposedly fixing in a firmware update soon.)

RGB video is not very useful, however our platform can stream live NDVI right at the field. This is very useful for immediate actionable information. For in-depth analytics, however, precision stills are what we load into our software.

Reactions: Peterthedroneguy
Here is an application of using a 360 video to inspect a hemp field. In this video, we flew to a few spots where we had seen in an NDVI quicktile of the field (quicktile is a NDVI formatting of an orthomosaic that can be done while still at the field using the Sentera sensors and Ag Vault). The second time we "dip down" to see the below the canopy view of the hemp field. See the "Virtual Reality Tour of Hemp Field" video below

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj