What are the P3's 'Dual Operator' features?

Last edited:
Reactions: 43k
A phantom is a single operator drone and if you need someone to press buttons on the controller for you it means you have to practice a lot more, simples.
And your point was?

My point is that your point is an interpretation and that the desire to fly a P3 in imitation of an Inspire (pilot and camera controlled desperately) is not necessarily a sign of incompetence. Also simples.

Reactions: 43k
I never implied anything about trying to fly a phantom like an inspire. Phantom is point and shoot single operator.
If you want to fly an inspire with dual operator go buy one.
Stop pretending a phantom is an inspire.
If it takes 2 people to use one phantom controller then I revert back to my original statement, you need A LOT more practice.
When you learn how to use a p3 controller by yourself come back you me. Until then get A LOT more practice in.
Thanks very much, don't come again. I prefer to help people that are willing to learn, not talk nonsense.

Mal what's with the internet chest thumping? Different people have different opinions and not everything is a personal attack that you need to challenge.

I'd welcome the ability to hand off a portion of my control to someone else on my P3, I'm a better quad pilot than photographer.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks very much, don't come again. I prefer to help people that are willing to learn, not talk nonsense.
Sorry Mal. I didn't realise this was your personal forum. Can you point me to one that is for modest, non egotistic enthusiasts who don't behave like cockerels in a hen coop all the time?

Last edited:
If you need a 2nd person to help you fly a phantom it means you need to practice A LOT more.
Nice cheap shot. It's more about safety than 'ability"... come on now was that even remotely called for??

Just to add some background... I've been flying RC for 4 decades and been flying "big uns" (Private Pilot Single Engine Land) for 17 years now. Yeah maybe I need to practice some more . . . . *shrugs*

Reactions: 43k and Man.Of.Kent
Mal what's with the internet chest thumping? Different people have different opinions and not everything is a personal attack that you need to challenge.

I'd welcome the ability to hand off a portion of my control to someone else on my P3, I'm a better quad pilot than photographer.

Exactly. By me flying and my photographer handling the picture/video chores we get great media and in a much safer environment.

@Mal_PV2_Ireland , you must have had some great advice in the past with 738 likes.
We'll choke the latest one as out-of-character...

We all know we can fly the P3 solo. But sometimes we want more.
I for one want a second camera for the pilot. I actually want to fly it with two cameras solo: one flight view and one camera view in a split screen.

@Mal_PV2_Ireland , you must have had some great advice in the past with 738 likes.
We'll choke the latest one as out-of-character...

We all know we can fly the P3 solo. But sometimes we want more.
I for one want a second camera for the pilot. I actually want to fly it with two cameras solo: one flight view and one camera view in a split screen.

I've got a Mobius cam I fly on one of my other quads as a secondary cam and have thought many times about adding vTX on it and using it as the FPV cam but haven't gotten around to doing that just yet. Maybe one day LOL

I never implied anything about trying to fly a phantom like an inspire. Phantom is point and shoot single operator.
If you want to fly an inspire with dual operator go buy one.
Stop pretending a phantom is an inspire.
If it takes 2 people to use one phantom controller then I revert back to my original statement, you need A LOT more practice.
When you learn how to use a p3 controller by yourself come back you me. Until then get A LOT more practice in.

Wow.

Wow the feathers are easily ruffled today. I just can't understand why you need a second pair of hands on your p3 controller? I haven't once found the need for a 3rd hand? I have found the p3 controller very easy to use to get any shot I want. I'm just scratching my head as to why you are finding it difficult to achieve these shots?

Reactions: JBG
Wow the feathers are easily ruffled today. I just can't understand why you need a second pair of hands on your p3 controller? I haven't once found the need for a 3rd hand? I have found the p3 controller very easy to use to get any shot I want. I'm just scratching my head as to why you are finding it difficult to achieve these shots?

This explains the feathers ruffling: no one ever said that they find it difficult.

But since this is still a sticky issue, let me give you one example for which you would need two operators: say you are flying with FPV goggles. In this case all you can see is the camera view. If your camera is not pointing in the direction of flight, and you are flying in a non-open area, you will surely hit something, or at least fly worried that you might hit something and drop from the sky. In this case ideally, you would give the FPV goggles and the camera controls to the photographer, while you control the UAV visually. In that case 2 sets of controls makes perfect sense.

Further, if we are talking about nice to have features, I want my second camera so that I can also do those shots far away where the UAV is out of my visual range. Then, I might be able to use a single operator, provided I had my split-screen view.

Using fpv brings about its own set of skills, spatial awareness. Every so often you should just stop, do a 360 and make sure of your surroundings, don't fly backwards until you know what's around you again fpv is a skill you need to master then. You are really trying to make points about dual operator flying that should be kept for a dual operator machine and not a phantom. Go buy a dual operator drone with dual operator controls if this is what you want. My point is that the controls on a p3 are perfect for a single operator be a use its a single operator machine and you can do everything that a p3 is supposed to do with one person. If you can't achieve that YOU NEED A LOT MORE PRACTICE. I think you need to buy an inspire or s900 if you want to achieve what you can't get out of a p3 and then spend a year learning dual operator with one person the whole time to learn how to get those shots as a team but if you can can't the best out of a p3 with 2 hands like I can it means you need more practice. It's not an inspire or dual operator drone. Do you not know the difference? Learn your drones and your own capability limits before you start disagreeing with my original point. I don't know how I can spell that out more clearly without you getting more offended which is certainly not my intention.

Ah @Mal_PV2_Ireland, it's a lost cause....
Difficult to argue with ego.

I was not the original poster. I did not claim I wanted another controller. I was just offering a piece of information to show how two controllers coud be useful.

I don't know why you always resort to: "YOU NEED A LOT MORE PRACTICE". What can I say. I guess you drive a manual car, use an abacus calculator, code your HTML pages in notepad, and fly your phantom in reverse with FPV goggles while filming in a crowded place. Bravo!

If I wanted to be like you, I would need a lot of practice. But you see, I don't want to.

Go buy a dual operator drone with dual operator controls if this is what you want.
I've noticed elsewhere that many people have modified their P3s to enhance performance or customise to personal requirements. Why is it wrong to discuss the idea of turning a P3 into a poor man's inspire? Not all of us have £2700 to shell out just like that.

I don't find it helpful to have experienced quad pilots stomping all over the discussion telling everyone they are stupid. Mal, if you can't offer us the wealth of your wisdom with humility and grace YOU NEED MORE PRACTICE. Of course, this is only in my humble opinion.

I've come to the conclusion that Mal simply gets his kicks from being "holier than thou" and attempting to play the condescending role. I now see it's much better to simply ignore his input and pretend like he didn't even post to anything I'm trying to read or participate in. It's obvious he has done and knows everything and the rest of us are fortunate enough to be sharing the same planet. I'll leave it a that and be done with it.

In reply to all others except Mal . . . we don't "require" someone to help operate the UAS we just find it much more safe and it produces better final results when I turn over the task of the shutter over to my photographer and I concentrate on flying. Just yesterday I was doing a photo shoot for someone and they wanted me to get as far from the house as possible to get the WOW shot of the front entrance. The home is surrounded by 100 year old oak trees and the only way to fly safe was to devote all of my concentration to the aircraft and it's proximity to objects and my camera operator devoted her total attention to getting the money shot.

In the end my client was thrilled with the result and no incident or damage occurred. It was a SAFE and productive adventure and at the end of the day that's all that matters.

I've now got a setup using the HDMI module where I can fly to an approximate view point and a client can observe on a monitor to tell me 'that's the shot!' Making them feel more involved. If the monitor could operate shutter release they would actually take the shot to put on their wall. This would be the equivalent of flying them overhead to take a shot from a plane or helo. Very empowering.

Man.Of.Kent I did exactly that today. I wasn't using a DJI product but my client was able to not only "view" the shot I allowed him to actually hit the shutter button on the tablet to capture exactly what he wanted and when.

Reactions: Man.Of.Kent

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav