What about copyrights in Hangar 360 app?

Reaction score
I recently informed about the release of the Hangar 360 app for making panoramas automatically but as I read in the terms, by using the app you give to Hangar the full copyright of the 360 panorama and you take back only a non exclusive lisence for sharing your panorama but not for profit!

So, with this app I think Hangar wants to built a huge database of Panoramas around the world and exploit them in the future, without giving any credits to the creators / pilots and operators...

What do you think about it?

Reactions: Mindflights
I think you are 100% correct. Most people won't read the fine print and be giving their photos/data away for free without realizing it. "There's no free lunch" .... Hangar didn't develop the free app out of the goodness of their hearts.

Looks like they are competing with DroneBase:
Hangar raises $6.5 million to give companies all the drone data they want without having to fly themselves

Yeah, I read very carefully their terms in the app because it is supposed to be "free" and I think this is a kind of mockery. At least they had to give a percentage of the earings to the creator for copyrights, in case of selling the panorama, because someone spent his money for buying drones and finding the nice spot for making the panorama, not to mention the time.

Last edited:
I recently informed about the release of the Hangar 360 app for making panoramas automatically but as I read in the terms, by using the app you give to Hangar the full copyright of the 360 panorama and you take back only a non exclusive lisence for sharing your panorama but not for profit!

So, with this app I think Hangar wants to built a huge database of Panoramas around the world and exploit them in the future, without giving any credits to the creators / pilots and operators...
What do you think about it?
It looks very questionable ethically.
It's hard to find any details about this in their webpage except this from their FAQ:
Can I share my finished 360 photo even though Hangar owns the rights?

If it's your Phantom and you took the images, Colin Guinn should have no right to your work.
His business model is to collect millions of images and hope he can sell some of them.
He's a self-promoting spiv with a questionable past in DJI and helped send 3DR down the drain.

Reactions: Loz and Mindflights
Exists there another application for 360 images?
Are other data also stored in the cloud. Like GPS data, date..

It's hard to find any details about this in their webpage except this from their FAQ:

If it's your Phantom and you took the images, Colin Guinn should have no right to your work.
His business model is to collect millions of images and hope he can sell some of them.
He's a self-promoting spiv with a questionable past in DJI and helped send 3DR down the drain.
I had to read the small letters with the terms in the app, after installing it, to discover all these about the ownership of the intellectual property exclusively by hangar.

'If it's your Phantom and you took the images, Colin Guinn should have no right to your work.'

True, unless you sign the contract, then HE DOES. The entire business of photography is based upon the transference of what belongs to the creator to another party for money.

ANY TIME there is something that seems really cool on the internet where one is asked to upload images... READ THE FINE PRINT. Artsy fartsy types are not exactly known for their legal acumen. Many fall for this kind of thing and are unwittingly populating other businesses with millions of stock photos that WILL BE OFFERED FOR SALE with the photographer NOWHERE to be found in the money flow.

Open your eyes and READ the fine print. Or, better yet, simply accept the fact that there are no free lunches and don't fall for anything that looks or smells like a rights grab enterprise.

Well, at least you can use the app without uploading the photos to Hangar. I assume the only way for them to get your photos is if you upload them.

Do I have to send my data to Hangar?
No, you have full access to the photos captured to the drone's SD card. If you do decide to upload content to Hangar. All data sent to Hangar servers about flight and 360 photo capture is anonymized, private, and secure.

Are there any alternatives available to this type of service. I use Autopilot to capture 360 panoramas as well as Hangar 360 (although with the latter, all 3 attempts have "failed to process" in the cloud).
After having captured the images I use Light Room to stitch(I'm just a beginner at these so haven't explored the more in depth options).
From this point, what can I do to have the panoramas made interactive and host them whilst maintaining copyright?

Well, at least you can use the app without uploading the photos to Hangar. I assume the only way for them to get your photos is if you upload them.

Do I have to send my data to Hangar?
No, you have full access to the photos captured to the drone's SD card. If you do decide to upload content to Hangar. All data sent to Hangar servers about flight and 360 photo capture is anonymized, private, and secure.

From the terms of use of their app, upon you install it:

Everything you send to them through the app is called "Aerial Data", pictures, panoramas, electronic signals, etc....
1.jpg

Then.... they give you a limited non exclusive licence for your pictures .. you cannot do all these a,b,c,d,e,f things...

2.jpg

And ofcourse, at the end... everything that leaves your iphone or ipad, belongs to them and they can also rent it to others
"Aerial Data" is "the sole and exclusive property of Hangar"

3.jpg

Last edited:
I took this out for a test run today, and it was a huge fail!
It was stuck at "capturing photo 1 of 23"

Did anyone get this to work?

firmware: v01.03.0509

Date: 2017-04-12

* I've contacted hangar to see if they can help.

Attachments

• IMG_1059.PNG
    IMG_1059.PNG
    767.5 KB · Views: 461
In other words, everyone is a fool for using anything that allows others to have rights to YOUR data.

Isn't that the definition of the "digital age"??? Everything if free (or seems that way to begin with) and everyone else owns everything YOU do and they ALL get RICH while the people creating and consuming the content are "idiots" for allowing it???

Just like all the businesses that started by using "open source" and ended up totally screwing EVERYONE to go closed source with a customer base that HAS to use their products because they literally wiped out ALL the competition.

"Beware those that come bearing gifts, as they are locking on the shackles of servitude as you marvel at the pretty baubles..."

Reactions: Mindflights
From the terms of use of their app, upon you install it:

Everything you send to them through the app is called "Aerial Data", pictures, panoramas, electronic signals, etc....
View attachment 80872

Then.... they give you a limited non exclusive licence for your pictures!!! .. you cannot do all these a,b,c,d,e,f things...

View attachment 80873

And of course, at the end... everything that leaves your iphone or ipad, belongs to them and they can also rent it to others!!
Look what happens with the "Aerial Data" :) "the sole and exclusive property of Hangar" !!!

View attachment 80874

Wonder how this is legal?

Therefore, any image edited in Adobe software belongs to Adobe and not you? o_O

I believe Facebook/Instgram, etc. say your image posted on their sites can be used by them for advertising purposes, but you still are the copyright holder. Hangar takes it away once stitched on their server?

Don't know about this.

Wonder how this is legal?

Therefore, any image edited in Adobe software belongs to Adobe and not you? o_O

I believe Facebook/Instgram, etc. say your image posted on their sites can be used by them for advertising purposes, but you still are the copyright holder. Hangar takes it away once stitched on their server?

Don't know about this.
That's why I made this post. Because it looked weird to me. How is this possible? I am wondering if their terms are against the intellectual property laws or not.
Maybe their point is by pressing ok in the app and agreeing with the terms, to transfer your property to them, by yourself.

Last edited:
That's why I made this post. Because it looked weird to me. How is this possible? I think their terms are against the intellectual property laws.
Maybe their point is by pressing ok in the app and agreeing with the terms, to transfer your property to them, by yourself.

Intellectual property laws protect the creators of intellectual property in much the same way laws against theft protect people with money and possessions.

In both cases, people can GIVE their property away and no law is going to stop them from doing it.

Failure to READ the fine print does not constitute fraud, IMHO. It constitutes a lack of due diligence on behalf of the one doing the signing.

Everything I shoot as a photographer is, at the moment I collect the data (or in the old days, the second that my film was exposed to light) the law recognizes that I have created something and it is from that moment under the protection of copyright laws. However, those laws are to not FORCE me into maintaining ownership or understanding the importance of that right. And, while still working within the framework of copyright protection, I can license my work in hundreds of ways. I can also sign a contract without reading it and end up LOSING protection to someone who, while acting legally, is IMHO acting unscrupulously.

IF this outfit continues to insist upon outright ownership of everything you upload to them then shame on them. And shame on everyone who falls for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loz and Mindflights
Yes, you must read the fine print. Have you ever read Apple's idea submission terms?
Apple - Legal - Unsolicited Idea Submission Policy
Terms of Idea Submission
You agree that: (1) your submissions and their contents will automatically become the property of Apple, without any compensation to you; (2) Apple may use or redistribute the submissions and their contents for any purpose and in any way; (3) there is no obligation for Apple to review the submission; and (4) there is no obligation to keep any submissions confidential.

But, this makes complete sense to me for a company like Apple. Can you imagine how many people probably claim that they told someone at Apple about their idea for the iPhone?

I also downloaded the app, but do not desire to give them my data. I can capture the images with Litchi. I have been looking for a Mac OS app to render the 360 for Facebook. Any ideas appreciated.

Haha, love it...hit the nail bang on the head there!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers