What a night. Maiden flight, almost crashed and threatened with a gun.

Reaction score
Maiden flight with the P3, awesome. Much more response than the P2 for sure and the camera is way cool. So after a few prelim flights at sunset I decide to shoot some city lights in the dark.

Green for lift off but soon a compass error. Went into Atti mode and some big gusts of wind in combination with the twitchiness of the P3's increased power almost had me crashing into some trees. Thank God I practiced many a moon with the X5C. Got it down and power cycled.

Lift off and all is good. Beautiful city lights and clouds in the distance. When landing some woman with a Russian accent pulls up in front of my house and yells, "do you have a permit". I said I don't need one. Then she accuses me of being a spy and she's ashamed I'm her neighbor (not sure where she lives around here). I said something about she should go back to her home country and she said she'd be back with a shotgun.

Well other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how'd you like the play. Boys, we have an uphill battle.

Edit: Oh, and I was at least 400' up for the duration.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arvidj
OMG... People seems to get little bit nervous about drones in your country .... :(
It's time to use drones in the battle ...:rolleyes:

You know, if you were flying like 640 feet high, she never would have noticed your Phantom. ;)

Reactions: Buzzy and dirkclod
You know, if you were flying like 640 feet high, she never would have noticed your Phantom. ;)

Actually I was at 640' for a bit LOL. She must have heard the last landing or the one with compass issue I had when trying to land in Atti Mode. That was some low flying trying get control.

Ahh, you must have been mistaken about your altitude. I see a height typo in your last post...;)

Didn't you mean 364 feet????

The altitude police are going to come after you... LOL, ROFLMAO :eek:

No I was a bad boy and tested the 500M limit in the app. Just was seeing if it would go beyond the 400' of the P2. And it does. :cool:

Reactions: IflyinWY
Actually I was at 640' for a bit LOL. She must have heard the last landing or the one with compass issue I had when trying to land in Atti Mode. That was some low flying trying get control.
640' :eek: ................
fall down.png

Reactions: IflyinWY
I understand why people get a little nervous and paranoid about quads with cameras flying in close proximity to their homes, even if you are in your own airspace/home. As long as your not blatantly hovering and facing any one property for a long period of time all is fair game in my opinion.

Now telling the lady to "go back to her own country", well that would do the trick and mildly antagonise anyone. She's so going to shoot down your quad next time your out flying, ha, ha, ha!

Reactions: Erik Somoroff
I understand why people get a little nervous and paranoid about quads with cameras flying in close proximity to their homes, even if you are in your own airspace/home. As long as your not blatantly hovering and facing any one property for a long period of time all is fair game in my opinion.

Now telling the lady to "go back to her own country", well that would do the trick and mildly antagonise anyone. She's so going to shoot down your quad next time your out flying, ha, ha, ha!

Badabing, you come up with some of the funniest finishes.

The man (I'm assuming) has a point. If you're in Lakeside or Ramona, watch your butt. :eek:

Dang. The fact is, I wasn't lurking over people's yards. I was high up and someone got pissed off. Hell, I wouldn't even notice if somebody was flying around. Must have guilty consciences or something.

The scariest thing was going into Atti with a compass error and gusts of wind. God bless the X5C. It has taken a beating and lives on as a tool for helping fly the expensive beast.

Dumb question: what is Atti mode? So many abbreviations for everything a noob tends to get lost.

Dumb question: what is Atti mode? So many abbreviations for everything a noob tends to get lost.

Atti is Attitude ...... keeps the aircraft level but does not use GPS ....The Phantom will drift with the wind and not stop in the direction it has been moving ....makes smoother video panning shots ....

Reactions: dalebb
Maiden flight with the P3, awesome. Much more response than the P2 for sure and the camera is way cool. So after a few prelim flights at sunset I decide to shoot some city lights in the dark.

Green for lift off but soon a compass error. Went into Atti mode and some big gusts of wind in combination with the twitchiness of the P3's increased power almost had me crashing into some trees. Thank God I practiced many a moon with the X5C. Got it down and power cycled.

Lift off and all is good. Beautiful city lights and clouds in the distance. When landing some woman with a Russian accent pulls up in front of my house and yells, "do you have a permit". I said I don't need one. Then she accuses me of being a spy and she's ashamed I'm her neighbor (not sure where she lives around here). I said something about she should go back to her home country and she said she'd be back with a shotgun.

Well other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how'd you like the play. Boys, we have an uphill battle.

Edit: Oh, and I was at least 400' up for the duration.

I'm glad you avoided a disaster! ...... Just a comment about the confrontation ...... all this is very new and thanks mainly to the media we are quickly becoming the bad boy ..... I might have had the same response .......but what if we all try to be a little more forgiving to people that think we are invading "their" space .... A nice hello and quick explanation of the equipment and what it does ect can go a long way .......... we really have control of how this thing goes .... just sayin .... m

If they ask if your'e a spy, you say yes. Not going to engage on the altitude debate. I've said my piece. Just don't do it. SoCal is chocker full of air traffic, including me! 400ft. End of story.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic