Battery Issue and Speed Error in Flight Log

Reaction score
This is my first Drone and my first post and I wanted to start by saying Thank You all for your wisdom and willingness to share it! This would be much more difficult without you!.

I bought an aftermarket Battery and I have the original battery. I have had two costly accidents in my short time both had interesting similarities.

ONE: I was bringing Ester in for a landing she had a 28% charge and was screaming low Battery! As I came over the Garage her motors started running at different speeds it seamed and she became unresponsive. She proceeded to bounce off said garage and thru tree hitting a cable wire and falling to the ground. Ripped off camera and tore apart gimbal an expensive $200 fix! I took a look at flight log and it had low battery warnings along with GPS warnings but several Speed Errors in a row before impact.

TWO: Was flying Ester on a day with some wind gusts within stated tolerance and again she became unresponsive and the wind took her and pushed her into a tree where she got caught at the top 40 to 50 feet off of ground. Had to call A tree guy to get her down with lift $150. Again not cheep! Minimal damage to Ester so I take a look at flight Log and find strong GPS but Interference warnings and again Speed Errors right before Crash. This time I notice Cell one of Battery is yellow off and on thru flight so look back at first crash and they are there to not right at crash time but thru out flight.

Similarities: Loss of control, Motors seam to run at different speeds, Same Aftermarket battery, Speed Errors, Yellow voltage numbers on Cell one, Atti Mode Switched to on her own right before.

I am more then willing to take responsibility for my new causing the accidents. We all learn from our mistakes and I am learning believe me. But the Speed Errors I don’t understand or loss or responsiveness so nothing done on controller had effect and the battery errors on Cell one plus the battery power seams different then stock battery.

Any advice or help sorting this all out and helping determine if it’s me or Battery or Ester has a problem. All of above! And in advance THANK YOU!

Its fair enough recounting the incidents but we have no info from you using the DJI Battery.

To determine if the battery is cause - then you need to compare use of different batterys.

The cell problem could be down to unclean contacts ... there are 4 to check ... two main power and two smaller data / telemetry / video power.

Flying longer than the warning level - I assume you have default 30% as your low level point ? is ill advised as the battery is under extreme load to keep flying as voltage is dropping quickly. If you have a weak cell or contacts that need cleaning - this can lead to bad behaviour.
People assume that auto-landing occurs at critical 10% ... but not so - it initiates at higher than that - mine has been observed at 15% to start Auto Land with supposed option to over-ride. Over-ride refused and auto land continued with very fast reduction of battery power ...

Nigel

Far enough I have two batteries the original DJI Battery and the following aftermarket. It is made by ROHS as like the original. Rating are the same 4480 mAh (68Wh) 15.2v model DL-UAV-DJ3. All connectors look really good as the whole setup is only 9 flights old. The only way I know which battery is in the machine is by how it acts which is to say seams sluggish under load situations compared to stock battery. Both Batteries look great durning flight while in drone and appear to have no issues. Occasional yellow number in log on cell one of aftermarket are only none observation data. I am not blaming Battery it is me new etc. with that said if Battery is contributing then that is something I would like to fix if not then I will fix me only. Info on low battery taken and will watch. Thanks for the questions Nigel

ROHS is not manufacturer - its accreditation mark as in CE / UL etc.

The DJI batterys are manufactured under licence by :

Dongguan Amperex Technology Limited

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic