What’s with DJI Go 4 and the login?

Reaction score
I am not a fan of upgrading when things are working fine and I am not a fan of what DJI does when they make updates available but I am loading up a 7plus for flight and encountered the PiA login screen for version 4.

First the obvious question is there a way around this?

Second why are we being subjected to this nonsense?

Lastly what is the purpose of logging in and is there any real benefit to them monitoring our activities?

Now for my rant:

I feel like Its easier to get a handgun license, buy ammunition and weapon than fly my drones with all of this surveillance and BS that DJI is subjecting us to.

We all know the rules, we don’t need some foreign government (all businesses in China are overseen by the govt) imposing communistic practices and principles in our democracy or infringing on our rights to operate equipment we purchased as we see fit.

We don’t need another big brother watching over us as we recreate or transact business.

This is one of my major issues with DJI and why I hope a competitor will soon enter the market to set things right.

Anyone else feel uneasy about a foreign business placing restrictions on products we purchased legally and for which no federal regulations exists which requires such limitations?

End of rant....now back to our regularly scheduled program. [emoji16]

Reactions: go fast
If you referring to simply logging into the app to activate it, I can't see the problem. You need to enter a password into your phone/tablet to activate it, logon to your bank account, email or iTunes when you want to download an app etc. DJI can't see your flight data unless you sync it to their server. If you are that keen, you can switch your device to airplane mode and be done with it. The only info DJI could deduce from my flying habits is that I fly mostly within the rules and drink a lot of beer.

What login? LOL:cool:

I stopped upgrading at 1.7.6 and have yet to see a forced login. Only time it has asked for any login was when I click on live broadcast. THis has been beaten to death since at least 1.1.9 fw. MAny have refused to upgrade something that isnt broke only to add more restriction.

If you dont want to deal with it, go back to an earlier version of Go, and delete all left over files from latest Go. Then turn off auto updating.

Heres more issues with Go...
Not sure why I got this message...

If you referring to simply logging into the app to activate it, I can't see the problem. You need to enter a password into your phone/tablet to activate it, logon to your bank account, email or iTunes when you want to download an app etc. DJI can't see your flight data unless you sync it to their server. If you are that keen, you can switch your device to airplane mode and be done with it. The only info DJI could deduce from my flying habits is that I fly mostly within the rules and drink a lot of beer.

Then why have the login if for no apparent purpose? I used my iTunes password to download the app so according to your argument that should be it, I don’t see the logic. Also airplane mode does not remove the login requirement. I feel that possibly you have no real idea as to what logging in really does or effect it has? Sorry but I don’t blindly drink the kool aid, didn’t work out well for Rev Jim Jones followers and I question anything that I feel is inappropriate or outside anyone’s business. If you have actual objective evidence that supports your assumption I would be very interested in reading it.

Reactions: Apilot101
What login? LOL:cool:

I stopped upgrading at 1.7.6 and have yet to see a forced login. Only time it has asked for any login was when I click on live broadcast. THis has been beaten to death since at least 1.1.9 fw. MAny have refused to upgrade something that isnt broke only to add more restriction.

If you dont want to deal with it, go back to an earlier version of Go, and delete all left over files from latest Go. Then turn off auto updating.

Heres more issues with Go...
Not sure why I got this message...

I agree completely, I have not upgraded firmware since new over a year ago, where can I find iOS version of Go 3 that I can load download? I will look at iTunes to see if prior versions are available which in some instances they are .... fingers crossed. Haven’t been on the board for long so am not up to date on prior discussions have been operating on my own but appreciate the knowledge base in a board such as this one. Thanks for the feedback.

This forum has been pretty split down the middle on the whole DJI imposing restrictions in fw and software. There's no new features on the new Go that I dont have, or at least need.

I run Android, so creating a "Backup" of any version I upgrade to is easy. Not sure about IOS. Someone on here has a copy of older IOS versions.

Reactions: ferncfc
I have put in my thinking cap and come upon a way to achieve my objective without sacrificing my privacy or principals. Problem solved, for now.

Reactions: ferncfc
Then why have the login if for no apparent purpose? I used my iTunes password to download the app so according to your argument that should be it, I don’t see the logic. Also airplane mode does not remove the login requirement. I feel that possibly you have no real idea as to what logging in really does or effect it has? Sorry but I don’t blindly drink the kool aid, didn’t work out well for Rev Jim Jones followers and I question anything that I feel is inappropriate or outside anyone’s business. If you have actual objective evidence that supports your assumption I would be very interested in reading it.
I think you are conflating two separate parts of my original post. The login process is initially designed to register your drone and activate the package. Subsequent login requests were introduced following updates to the NFZ and geo fencing features amongst other so called improvements in the app. Many people did not update their app unless forced to do so in some cases and cited privacy issues amongst other concerns. In my case I live and fly nowhere near sensitive or restricted areas and have no issues with updating either SW or FW. My reference to flying in airplane mode and not syncing your flights to the DJI server is AFTER you have logged in and do not wish to share your data.
Pretty sure I understand how the process works and your reference to Rev Jim Jones is essentially an ad hominem.

I have put in my thinking cap and come upon a way to achieve my objective without sacrificing my privacy or principals. Problem solved, for now.
Just roll back to an earlier version of Go and not deal with the forced login. My understanding 2.9.1 was 1 of the last versions of Go that didnt require login. I know 2.4.3 and 2.4.4 doesnt. Search the net, there are places that have older versions saved.

The login process is initially designed to register your drone and activate the package. Subsequent login requests were introduced following updates to the NFZ and geo fencing features amongst other so called improvements in the app. Many people did not update their app unless forced to do so in some cases and cited privacy issues amongst other concerns.
I think this is the Ops issue. If He doesnt want to worry about registering his drone, he shouldnt be made to. It would/could be his loss for warranty issues. And it shouldnt be forced. As here in the states, FAA was forced to remove their forced registration they forcefully imposed. And as we see now, DJI is also trying to force not only registration, but now tries to force updating as well.
The Op asked ...
First the obvious question is there a way around this? Yes roll back to prior versions.
Second why are we being subjected to this nonsense? Other than warranty, DJI has been buttering up to authorities for some time now.
Lastly what is the purpose of logging in and is there any real benefit to them monitoring our activities? None other than an account for live feeds.

I think this is the Ops issue. If He doesnt want to worry about registering his drone, he shouldnt be made to. It would/could be his loss for warranty issues. And it shouldnt be forced. As here in the states, FAA was forced to remove their forced registration they forcefully imposed. And as we see now, DJI is also trying to force not only registration, but now tries to force updating as well.
The Op asked ...
First the obvious question is there a way around this? Yes roll back to prior versions.
Second why are we being subjected to this nonsense? Other than warranty, DJI has been buttering up to authorities for some time now.
Lastly what is the purpose of logging in and is there any real benefit to them monitoring our activities? None other than an account for live feeds.
Understand the OP's concerns regarding having to log on, update et al.
Roll back to previous versions. He is already logged on and his email/ username password is already registered and technically redundant going forward.
DJI is supposedly being proactive WRT to managing their products to conform to FAA regulations and any subsequent legislation. Obvious connotations to managing their business models.
If you don't sync your flights to the DJI server and run your device in airplane mode, no one is the wiser.
If you are running older FW and SW and have switched off any updates, you can fly as before.
If you wish to fly unhindered and without concerns for 'invasion of privacy', there are a multitude of lesser products that will assuage your concerns.
I guarantee the sun will still rise for most of us tomorrow morning. In the meantime, switch off your internet surfing habits, switch off Siri and disable your device location on your smart phone to stop getting those annoying prompts on Facebook, this forum and a multitude of other platforms.
We are talking about a flying camera and not about people kicking your door in and demanding a refund for your birthday presents.

Reactions: Apilot101
We are talking about a flying camera and not about people kicking your door in and demanding a refund for your birthday presents.
Yes, as of now my Nikon doesnt have FORCED login or updating, gps, history, tracking, etc.
Other than for warranty claims, DJI has no need to collect data from our flights, etc.

This has been a privacy issue for some time now with DJI. Heres a thread discussing this a while back when people said we had tin foil hats....
DJI GO App and Your Privacy

More articles on DJI and our privacy...
A rebuke from the US army has DJI focused on improving security

DJI Tightens Security to Ease Data Vulnerability Fears

Last edited:
Yes, as of now my Nikon doesnt have FORCED login or updating, gps, history, tracking, etc.
Other than for warranty claims, DJI has no need to collect data from our flights, etc.
And despite what you imagine, DJI also does not force you to update, track your history etc.
Your point about GPS is hard to work out but if yo feel that using GPS is a problem, fly in atti mode?
DJI definitely aren't collecting data from your flights.
As for the "forced" login you only have to do that once after one of the completely optional firmware updates.
This has been a privacy issue for some time now with DJI. Heres a thread discussing this a while back when people said we had tin foil hats....
And though you won't believe it, it's not a privacy issue either.

DJI GO App and Your Privacy

More articles on DJI and our privacy...
A rebuke from the US army has DJI focused on improving security

DJI Tightens Security to Ease Data Vulnerability Fears
I fully understand your concerns, but I guess in the environment I fly in and possibly that which most hobbyists fly
it's of no concern.
As mentioned earlier, if you don't sync your flights, DJI and others have no idea what you are doing. Aerospace is one technology for detecting drones in sensitive areas but for the rest of us, not likely to pop up in our local area and we are good to go if we are we are playing by the rules.
I am more vigilant about point to point speed cameras, mobile cameras and sneaky roadside devices that plague me daily on the way to work.
That bothers me more than some entity watching my flying habits.

And despite what you imagine, DJI also does not force you to update, track your history etc.
And yes DJI did try to force update with DJI Go 4.0.6...

Your point about GPS is hard to work out but if yo feel that using GPS is a problem, fly in atti mode?
DJI definitely aren't collecting data from your flights.
As for the "forced" login you only have to do that once after one of the completely optional firmware updates.
And though you won't believe it, it's not a privacy issue either.

They aren't collecting data from flights?? DJI has admitted to collecting data from their own site including "free use of information to 3rd parties"....
Device-Related and Flight-Related Information. When you use DJI Products and Services, you will provide us with information relating to (i) your DJI Product or Service, your non-DJI device on which the DJI Product or Service is used (including computers, phones, or other devices where you install or access DJI Products and Services), and your photos or videos that you upload using DJI Products and Services. This information may include: (i) information about your non-DJI device (including your device ID, hardware version, and operating system); (ii) information about your DJI device (including the model and serial number of your device); (iii) geolocation data relating to your non-DJI device and DJI device and any photo or video you submitted using DJI Products and Services; (iv) information about any photo or video recorded, including the name of the video file, the length of the video, EXIF data relating to the photo or video, and the photo or video data itself; (v) other technical information, including the IP address used by your non-DJI device and flight record data; and (vi) data associated with your DJI account.

WHy is it that the US Army says diferent US Army calls for units to discontinue use of DJI equipment - sUAS News - The Business of Drones
And although you wont believe it, when DJI take any info on me without my permission, it becomes a privacy issue. Sad thing is, 1st time registering, you waive rights to all the info they collect on you.

Even though it is a 1 time registration, and I dont want to register, it is forced. or else you would be limited to the 30m/50m restriction. Also, If a person purchases a new quad, can they fly it without logging in to DJI at all?

Personally, I dont care what DJI does now. I learned my lesson. I feel bad for the new guys who dont know. SInce I have personally dug into the actual flight controller, I can see what they can have access to I stopped updating. We know that Dji Go sends a lot of data to several chinese companies and services. We also know that for several months now the new firmwares are broadcasting drone ID info when flying. Question is, why would DJI need that other than warranty? If they dont need it, then why should I send it to them, so it would be setting on Chinese servers that could be hacked. Sorry, Im not interested.

Last edited:
The only issue I see with it (as mentioned in another post) is that you need web access to use this software after downloading an upgrade. Users who are unaware of this could find themselves out of luck after traveling to remote areas to use their drones.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing