Well, what exactly has changed...?

Reaction score
Wanted to share a surprisingly striking vista from up above. Well, surprising because one would never grasp just how much concrete is around you:

What happened to the video? You were at 1182ft and climbing, I was interested to see how high you actually got and the link stopped working....

IMG_3247.jpg

Just think, at that altitude, how fast your drone would hit someone on the ground in that populated area. With any wind at all, you can't image how much lateral movement you would have as a failed drone descends. Just think ... or maybe you just didn't think.

Reactions: STGill
Don't know where you were flying. In U. S. 400' AGL (or if within 400' of a structure, 400' above the structure) are the FAA rules. Hopefully, you were in some other country with no rules. If not, hopefully you'll stop doing this. At least don't be dumb enough to post it on Phantom Pilots.

Just think, at that altitude, how fast your drone would hit someone on the ground in that populated area. With any wind at all, you can't image how much lateral movement you would have as a failed drone descends. Just think ... or maybe you just didn't think.

If anyone wonders why you're not supposed to fly over people, a P4 dropping from just 300 feet will be going over 90 MPH when it hits the ground. From 1200 feet? You'd get over 180 MPH.

If anyone wonders why you're not supposed to fly over people, a P4 dropping from just 300 feet will be going over 90 MPH when it hits the ground. From 1200 feet? You'd get over 180 MPH.

Not really. Those are speeds for free fall in a vacuum. The terminal velocity of a P4 in the atmosphere is far less than that, but very hard to calculate.

Reactions: Pharm
Not really. Those are speeds for free fall in a vacuum. The terminal velocity of a P4 in the atmosphere is far less than that, but very hard to calculate.
Oh yeah, I forgot to factor in drag. Still, I'm pretty sure dropping 3 pounds from that high could be lethal.

A falling Phantom is one of the things that scares me from flying a quad copter so far. I wish there were better fixed wing options.

A falling Phantom is one of the things that scares me from flying a quad copter so far. I wish there were better fixed wing options.

I doubt you'll see fixed wing options for a long time that will provide you the video platform that a quad-, hexa-, or octo-copter provides.

If you follow the FAA rules, even if it drops from the sky, worst case is you lose your bird. If you are a rule-breaker, it's better you don't fly one of these.

Finally, what keeps a fixed wing platform from falling from the sky, or diving into people? Maybe you just read Erica Jong's book, "The Fear of Flying". ;o)

Reactions: Capo and SkyHog
Fixed wing will not fall near as fast. The wings provide lift. If motor fails and you still have control you can glide in. Even an uncontrolled spin or flat spin with a fixed wing will not fall very fast compared to a multi rotor. Because the rotor blades are so small, they don't provide a lot of passive lift. The same reason the RPM's are so high on them for normal flying.

Fixed wing will not fall near as fast. The wings provide lift. If motor fails and you still have control you can glide in. Even an uncontrolled spin or flat spin with a fixed wing will not fall very fast compared to a multi rotor. Because the rotor blades are so small, they don't provide a lot of passive lift. The same reason the RPM's are so high on them for normal flying.

I'll give you a clue... Because of the weight of the Phantom, the rotor blades provide no passive lift and very little drag. Drops like a rock.

Sounds like a Phantom is not in your future.

LOL, I already have Phantom 4 Pro and goggles... I was just stating the science. I am also a former commercial pilot and instructor. I don't fly my drone over people. I live and fly in a rural area.

LOL, I already have Phantom 4 Pro and goggles... I was just stating the science. I am also a former commercial pilot and instructor. I don't fly my drone over people. I live and fly in a rural area.

Then your first post seems nonsensical, in light of your last post. Sounded to me like you were stating your fear. Goodbye and safe flying (whatever you fly) ;o)

Then your first post seems nonsensical, in light of your last post. Sounded to me like you were stating your fear. Goodbye and safe flying (whatever you fly) ;o)

Not fearful at all. We just need to understand the risks before someone takes away our ability to fly at all due to an accident from ignorance. I'd rather educate then have governments take it away by force of law.

Reactions: WhoDatPIC
Yeah, but you're not an astronaut, so there.

LOL, too funny. Unfortunately, our transport minister in Canada is a former astronaut, and is heading the drive towards draconian drone laws in Canada. Personally, I think he's flown a little too high....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj