Well, so much for trying to limit bans and limits...

Reaction score
Rather the incident was really a risk or not, antics like this just about doom any hope of drone operators being able to operate freely. We can now look forward to a swath of ever more stringent bans, restrictions and likely a push to require licensing.

Thank you to whomever you are, now we all get to feel the backlash.

Rather the incident was really a risk or not, antics like this just about doom any hope of drone operators being able to operate freely. We can now look forward to a swath of ever more stringent bans, restrictions and likely a push to require licensing.

Unless a new drone operator researched the rules and refs there’s not much chance of them knowing what they are doing is wrong.
To bad they couldn’t make it so you have to take a short online class about this before you can buy a drone ?

There is no excuse for the drone flights over these areas. If they registered like they’re supposed to have done they would have been notified by the FAA for no flights . I have gotten these before by the FAA . No excuse , find them and take away their drone.

I feel as though the Helicopters should do there job regardless to get the water poured in to save lives and not let a drone detour that.
I also think that there is a war going on between those that own the skies and those want to rent the sky.

If your a pilot there is a lot to worry about and now they have to be concerned with drones so what were really hearing is the Nagging and Whining when anyone sees a drone and how it interfered with there job.

If I was a pilot , I would want clean skies to , and every drone i spotted would be reported despite its ability to threaten me.
in this case I doubt very highly that those Pilots let that drone effect there job to drop the water on the fire. Lives matter but dumb news sells.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

I feel as though the Helicopters should do there job regardless to get the water poured in to save lives and not let a drone detour that.
I also think that there is a war going on between those that own the skies and those want to rent the sky.

If your a pilot there is a lot to worry about and now they have to be concerned with drones so what were really hearing is the Nagging and Whining when anyone sees a drone and how it interfered with there job.

If I was a pilot , I would want clean skies to , and every drone i spotted would be reported despite its ability to threaten me.
in this case I doubt very highly that those Pilots let that drone effect there job to drop the water on the fire. Lives matter but dumb news sells.

Phantomrain.org
Coal
Sounds like you could be one who flies in these "prohibited areas" because you feel the authorities have no right to tell you what to do, even if it is in the interest of safety for all. Intelligent people would know that a collision with anything in the air could cause an aircraft to crash, killing not only the crew on board but also people on the ground. We really do need strict licensing legislation to protect the public from selfish inconsiderate people with a "for me only" attitude.

Reactions: captainmilehigh

Perhaps these firefighting helicopters should be fitted with flame throwers. A quick "hot shot" will surely eliminate the problem.

Another idea to help rid our hobby of these unintelligent people would be to have strict licensing in force. Before you can purchase a drone you have to take a course in safety and legislated rules. Once you complete the course you get a "1st tier" license. You take this license to the store when purchasing the drone.The retailer programs the drone and controller with your license. Whenever the drone and/or controller is switched on, the identifying owners license is transmitted. That way if a drone pilot is up to no good the identification of the drone owner can be retrieved by either ground or air receivers. Make the drone owner equally responsible for the actions of who ever flies his/her drone.

Hahaha. You still think this was about safety?
Couldn’t be a further from the truth. This kinda off news is about a higher purpose. Safety sales period. The water that comes out of the copters would kill you if it hit you. They could easily done away with the issue. Instead make it out to something bigger. You can’t fly over people or out of site but UPS can. And yet it’s still thought it’s about safety. Lol. Too funny. Granted person shouldn’t be there in first place, however this is way bigger then obviously can be seen. Here is a thought for you. You can’t fly a uav over people or some countries 30 meters or closer, yet it most likely less the 55 lbs. yet you can drive a car that is easily over 55 lbs and be less then 3 meters from people at over 25 miles an hour no problem. Yet think all this is about safety

Just wait till after xmas, and the next wild fire report. Invasion of the DJI Mac Mini impedes and halts all efforts to put out the wild fires as thousand of kids open there presents to fly in the sky and the FAA shuts down. ;)

Make a great twilight episode

This beautiful pic was posted and it got me thinking at where we need to draw the line /
My first thought is 100% ok, but than the mere fact that Helicopters could be coming in at any angle could be an issue.

Were kind of in a FAA movement so could this be reported by anyone that spots you.
News: Pilots have to take extended route to avoid picture taking drone in the path of raging fire.

I would think it would be ok, but could go terribly wrong if reported by the news and here lies the problem with thinking that we our ok to fly.

My rule is if there is anything that could cause excitement in the sky I should not be flying in it.

Since I am not a news reporter I have no business

, HOWEVER::: If my kids or my family were in that fire
than who is to say what I would do with my drone to find them.

C4F9B05C-A236-4841-A7F4-5051432062AA.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MTO

Phantomrain.org
Coal
You don’t need to apply much effort in researching to learn sUAV operations have, and will likely continue, to disrupt aerial emergency operations. It isn’t just firefighting efforts either. There has been more than one report of a helicopter being delayed in attending an accident scene to convey a critically injured person to a hospital.

I suspect you might be genuinely ignorant of the realities here. I know for a fact (witnessed first hand) how a drone sighting does result in aerial operations being suspended until such time as it is established the area is clear. Have you had a close look at the tail rotor on a helicopter? You don’t need to be an aero engineer to understand that even something the size of a Mavic might cause a catastrophic incident.

This beautiful pic was posted and it got me thinking at where we need to draw the line /
My first thought is 100% ok, but than the mere fact that Helicopters could be coming in at any angle could be an issue.

Were kind of in a FAA movement so could this be reported by anyone that spots you.
News: Pilots have to take extended route to avoid picture taking drone in the path of raging fire.

I would think it would be ok, but could go terribly wrong if reported by the news and here lies the problem with thinking that we our ok to fly.

My rule is if there is anything that could cause excitement in the sky I should not be flying in it.

Since I am not a news reporter I have no business

, HOWEVER::: If my kids or my family were in that fire
Im running my drone straight up thu the depths of those flames to find them ,

View attachment 115378
And all they have to do is grab the drone and fly out to safety.

We absolutely need to institute mandatory training and testing, licensing with regular renewals and insurance on drones! We do this with cars and we don’t have accidents and stupid behavior by drivers.........

...wait, never mind
If it prevents even just one life lost (perhaps a loved one of yours) it is well worth it. Just think, how many more idiots would we have on the road if we didn't do it with cars. It's easy to say it doesn't work when you base your conclusion on the few it doesn't work on rather than the many that it does work on. You see the results of the few because those results make the news headlines. You don't see the results of the many who are responsible safe drivers because they don't create a situation that attracts the news media. Think about it.

Reactions: BigAl07
You don’t need to apply much effort in researching to learn sUAV operations have, and will likely continue, to disrupt aerial emergency operations. It isn’t just firefighting efforts either. There has been more than one report of a helicopter being delayed in attending an accident scene to convey a critically injured person to a hospital.

I suspect you might be genuinely ignorant of the realities here. I know for a fact (witnessed first hand) how a drone sighting does result in aerial operations being suspended until such time as it is established the area is clear. Have you had a close look at the tail rotor on a helicopter? You don’t need to be an aero engineer to understand that even something the size of a Mavic might cause a catastrophic incident.

I realize the picture I posted above is a tough call, but do you feel like you should be able to be in the air flying and taking video with your drone ?

If you can not see how flying a drone in an area with emergency aircraft flying then you're part of the problem no ones picture is worth someones life

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.