Well, so much for trying to limit bans and limits...

Back a bit over a hundred years ago, the broadcast airwaves were open to anyone to use. Then the Titanic went down. The delayed rescue of that ship's occupants was blamed on radio interference. And thus, the first licensing requirements for broadcasting and using the airwaves came into being. We all know how that turned out. ;)

It’s the “clueless, careless and criminal” operators that are driving new and more stringer regs - screwing the rest of us. Don’t hesitate to report them.

Back a bit over a hundred years ago, the broadcast airwaves were open to anyone to use. Then the Titanic went down. The delayed rescue of that ship's occupants was blamed on radio interference. And thus, the first licensing requirements for broadcasting and using the airwaves came into being. We all know how that turned out. ;)

?? Think you oversimplified a bit there.

1. The Distress signal was CQD as per Marconi Company - the R/O's were not actually employed by the Shipping Co. so they acted on Marconi instructions.
2. Not long before Titanic - the general distress signal was internationally agreed to be SOS, but the Titanic R/O sent out CQD being A Marconi emplyee until literally last moments then used SOS.
3. Radio comms at that time was literally regarded as a 'luxury' for the Upper Class Passengers to send out personal messages which basically hogged the airwaves.
4. At the time of Titanic - R/O's watch keeping wasn't rigid as it later became - they literally kept watch to cater for #3.
5. Last but not least - the range of the Radio gear in those early days was abysmal ... matter of a few hundred miles.

The use of radio gear in that disaster undoubtedly saved lives, but a combination of the above were involved in what led to Titanic losing near 2/3rds of the lives

There are unconfirmed claims that the R/O in panic in early part failed to engage the hand breaker to the main antenna. Also that vessels within range were engaged in #3 ...

Reactions: Brojon
It’s the “clueless, careless and criminal” operators that are driving new and more stringer regs - screwing the rest of us. Don’t hesitate to report them.

I think it is far wider than that. You can go into any toy shop now and buy a Syma or similar Multi Rotor .. fixed wing model ... helicopter ... many of which are heavier than 250gr.

There are no leaflets in the box .. signs or indicators to advise those buying - that it would be wise to 'learn' a few basic rules of use. What they read is : Easy to Fly ... Auto returns home ... gyro stabilised hands off .... etc. etc.

Its not only the idiots flying over stadiums ... trying to get 'that shot' of the forest fire ... etc. - but also the one who goes to local park and flies amongst the dog walkers, kids kicking a football around ... etc. The one who thinks that just because it say it flies hands off - he's safe to fly anywhere.

A while back - I walked into our local hardware superstore. Like many of them - it has a toy section just inside the entrance .. to catch any kids with parents with kids of course.
One of the store floor workers was flying the multi-rotor Bug amongst the toy stands over peoples heads .. swooping ... climbing ... all part of an act to SELL them.

Yes - I had actually bought one for fun use before ... it soon failed and was taken back ...

That's not only time I've seen such ... I've been in Airport Duty Free's where shops are flying Helicopters and various 'drones' trying to sell them.

With such 'advertising' is it any wonder that kids and parents don't have any clue about it ??

Last edited:
Reactions: Earthman
I think it is far wider than that. You can go into any toy shop now and buy a Syma or similar Multi Rotor .. fixed wing model ... helicopter ... many of which are heavier than 250gr.

There are no leaflets in the box .. signs or indicators to advise those buying - that it would be wise to 'learn' a few basic rules of use. What they read is : Easy to Fly ... Auto returns home ... gyro stabilised hands off .... etc. etc.

Its not only the idiots flying over stadiums ... trying to get 'that shot' of the forest fire ... etc. - but also the one who goes to local park and flies amongst the dog walkers, kids kicking a football around ... etc. The one who thinks that just because it say it flies hands off - he's safe to fly anywhere.

A while back - I walked into our local hardware superstore. Like many of them - it has a toy section just inside the entrance .. to catch any kids with parents with kids of course.
One of the store floor workers was flying the multi-rotor Bug amongst the toy stands over peoples heads .. swooping ... climbing ... all part of an act to SELL them.

Yes - I had actually bought one for fun use before ... it soon failed and was taken back ...

That's not only time I've seen such ... I've been in Airport Duty Free's where shops are flying Helicopters and various 'drones' trying to sell them.

With such 'advertising' is it any wonder that kids and parents don't have any clue about it ??

“There are no leaflets in the box ...“ - The clueless.

“The one who thinks that just because it say it flies hands off - he's safe to fly anywhere.” - The careless.

“The idiots flying over stadiums ... trying to get 'that shot' of the forest fire ... etc.” - The criminal.

I agree, everyone needs to do a better job of educating consumers.

“There are no leaflets in the box ...“ - The clueless.

“The one who thinks that just because it say it flies hands off - he's safe to fly anywhere.” - The careless.

“The idiots flying over stadiums ... trying to get 'that shot' of the forest fire ... etc.” - The criminal.

I agree, everyone needs to do a better job of educating consumers.

Think you forgot the Dealers ... Shop Assistants .... I illustrated examples I have witnessed where shops are flying these above customers heads just outside shop door or actually inside ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers