Weird buzz... not gimbal, not VPS fan, not ghosts or the likes

Reaction score
Hi there

after a thorough search in this forum and on the Internet, I cannot seem to understand why all of a sudden my brand new P3A has begun to emit a strong buzzing sound.

I have flown it 5 times. no crashes. no hard landings. no impacts at all. perfect sessions.

Then, the 6th time I turn it on, it starts to emit this buzzing sound. from what I hear, it comes straight from its "heart". I mean... if I put my ear on the "hump" in the center of the four arms, this sound is more intense. I assume it definitely comes from there. It sounds like a real aircraf turbine sound building up, like before taking off.

The gimbal is OK, usual soft buzz. The VPS fan is audibile and sounds good (and it's a "classic" little cuddly fan sound). the gimbal fan slot is empty, so...

I wonder WHY during the first flights this sound wasn't there, and then there it is all of a sudden.
It plays when I turn the bird on.

Had it been there since the very start, I wouldn't be worried. The drone flies perfectly, but still...

Just sharing this here. Maybe someone has an advice or a similar experience. Or can pin-point me to an already discussed thread I still haven't found...

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Hi there

after a thorough search in this forum and on the Internet, I cannot seem to understand why all of a sudden my brand new P3A has begun to emit a strong buzzing sound.

I have flown it 5 times. no crashes. no hard landings. no impacts at all. perfect sessions.

Then, the 6th time I turn it on, it starts to emit this buzzing sound. from what I hear, it comes straight from its "heart". I mean... if I put my ear on the "hump" in the center of the four arms, this sound is more intense. I assume it definitely comes from there. It sounds like a real aircraf turbine sound building up, like before taking off.

The gimbal is OK, usual soft buzz. The VPS fan is audibile and sounds good (and it's a "classic" little cuddly fan sound). the gimbal fan slot is empty, so...

I wonder WHY during the first flights this sound wasn't there, and then there it is all of a sudden.
It plays when I turn the bird on.

Had it been there since the very start, I wouldn't be worried. The drone flies perfectly, but still...

Just sharing this here. Maybe someone has an advice or a similar experience. Or can pin-point me to an already discussed thread I still haven't found...

Cheers :)
I could be wrong but I don't hear anything abnormal. I'll check mine and see if it makes that same sound. Why are u holding it like that? Is that the only way u can hear that sound? Like I said seems fine to me but I'm no expert. If it flies fine then I really wouldn't worry about it, if it smells like something is burning or it gets really hot then I would worry about it. But like I said, I'm no expert but I'm sure somebody smarter than me can give you a better answer as to what's going on if anything at all..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The gimbal is going to be seriously pissed at being held at that angle !

No! Gimbal is fine and calm :D YouTube uploader decided to flip my vid of 90 degrees!

I'm holding that "floating" way in order not to get the ping sound from the VPS module in the recording. Disabling the VPS in the app didn't work, so... Btw, the turbine-like sound is perfectly audible even when the drone is on a table or any flat surface.

Update: in the meantime, I contacted a DJI tech. He listened to it and said it might be an issue with the fan on the main board, suggesting to ask for a replacement. Duh.

No! Gimbal is fine and calm :D YouTube uploader decided to flip my vid of 90 degrees!

I'm holding that "floating" way in order not to get the ping sound from the VPS module in the recording. Disabling the VPS in the app didn't work, so... Btw, the turbine-like sound is perfectly audible even when the drone is on a table or any flat surface.

Update: in the meantime, I contacted a DJI tech. He listened to it and said it might be an issue with the fan on the main board, suggesting to ask for a replacement. Duh.
That's weird, I could've sworn you were holding it sideways,but looked at the video again and now I can see it is flat, I think. Still doesn't sound like there is anything wrong. Now I'm really interested to see what other people think..

I hear it... Not sure what it is but both of mine don't make that sound..I would send it in...better safe than sorry

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl