Weird behaviour P3 SE at landing and range

Reaction score
1#
Hi guys!

This weekend my P3 SE had a couple of weird behaviours.

First it woudn't go more than 30m high and range, in spite beginner mode being off. Turn it on and back off and same. Change RTH height to 100m and I could now go over 30m... Next day (today) even with RTH at 100m it wouldn't go over 30m, and then I tried to land it and when it was 3m from ground it swerved to the side a bit and I couldn't use any directional manouvers, it simply wouldn't respond, only go down. Thankfully it was in a place where I could go down and land it but very close to a wall I was lucky.

Then I switched S1 button to up position, and now its behaviour is normal, I made a flight went to 100m high and landed it with no problems. But before I had the impression of having he S1 in middle position and never no problems.

What is the "right" setting? I want to fly it in GPS mode, and RTH if something goes wrong with signal or battery, is S1 button up the correct position for that?

Best regards everyone and thanks in advance on your opinions

I would read your manual very carefully from the beginning to the end.

It's been a common practice for quite a few years to always have the S1 switch up during launch regardless of the AC. But check your manual.

Check that your maximum range setting is disabled.

Read read read your manual.

Good luck.

I would read your manual very carefully from the beginning to the end.

It's been a common practice for quite a few years to always have the S1 switch up during launch regardless of the AC. But check your manual.

Check that your maximum range setting is disabled.

Read read read your manual.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tips, yes I will proper read it so I can be prepared for all scenarios. Cheers

1#
Hi guys!

First it woudn't go more than 30m high and range, in spite beginner mode being off. Turn it on and back off and same. Change RTH height to 100m and I could now go over 30m... Next day (today) even with RTH at 100m it wouldn't go over 30m, and then I tried to land it and when it was 3m from ground it swerved to the side a bit and I couldn't use any directional manouvers, it simply wouldn't respond, only go down. Thankfully it was in a place where I could go down and land it but very close to a wall I was lucky.

Then I switched S1 button to up position, and now its behaviour is normal, I made a flight went to 100m high and landed it with no problems. But before I had the impression of having he S1 in middle position and never no problems.

What is the "right" setting? I want to fly it in GPS mode, and RTH if something goes wrong with signal or battery, is S1 button up the correct position for that?

About range problem, I have the experience, that if your drone and/or battery is too cold, at first start activate a distance limitation (whiteout notification) for 30 meters altitude, and 50 meter distance. Watch it, the numbers are different as for beginner mode where both limits are 30 meters!
In the past in every case the restriction was unlocked after one minute warming up flight, switching of and on battery and controller, quick reconnection of Wifi and restart the app. At second start can fly without limitation.
It's already happened to me with different firmware and app versions, it seem to be a very common behavior of my P3SE

PhantomFlyer3SE thanks for your input.

Regarding the non responsive directional inputs on landing... Ever happened to you?
No, there is no flying mode which would disable you to change the orientation of drone. You have the less control in case of Low Battery RTH - but the only limitation is, that in final phase you can't rise anymore, but can change the direction of descent.

There must be something wrong with the controller. Which battery level has it?

Yes - it is caused by the VPS. Disable the VPS and it will be much easier to land. Good luck.
Do you mean using P-GPS mode instead of P-ATTI mode?
I agrie, landing is more safe with P-GPS, but we will never get ineffective controller in any flight mode.

Looks like we posted at the same time...

My experience is that if you're in P-GPS and if you're low enough, your AC will use both the satellites and the opti function. When you climb a bit, you're too high for the opti function to work correctly. When you begin to land, the opti function works again, and this, for some reason, interferes with your ability to land. I've read quite a few posts on it and I've also experienced it myself - like on every landing. It's like an invisible bubble is stopping you from landing straight down. I've read disabling the opti function solves the problem. I haven't done that yet though.

Reactions: N017RW
No, there is no flying mode which would disable you to change the orientation of drone. You have the less control in case of Low Battery RTH - but the only limitation is, that in final phase you can't rise anymore, but can change the direction of descent.

There must be something wrong with the controller. Which battery level has it?

No, all batteries full.

My experience is that if you're in P-GPS and if you're low enough, your AC will use both the satellites and the opti function. When you climb a bit, you're too high for the opti function to work correctly. When you begin to land, the opti function works again, and this, for some reason, interferes with your ability to land. I've read quite a few posts on it and I've also experienced it myself - like on every landing. It's like an invisible bubble is stopping you from landing straight down. I've read disabling the opti function solves the problem. I haven't done that yet though.

I have good GPS coverage, 16/17 satellites... So it shouldn't do that right?

May be its a good practice for the real advanced pilots. For a beginner it is a quite dangerus to switch to A-mode, and try to land especially if it's a wind. This case drone will drift as the cheap equipments do, and at landing AC can capsize, and brake the propelers.

For me Vision positioning system gives an extra safety, but I respect others meaning, may be others can land more safely with full control over all movement of drone. I'm not on that level after two months of practice

Last edited:
Reactions: ChuckPheltnic
The opti function will cause the bubble problem regardless of the number of satellites you have.

... For a beginner it is a quite dangerus to switch to A-mode, and try to land especially if it's a wind....
You would not disable the OPTI function by switching to A-mode. You would disable the OPTI function via the Go app.

The opti function will cause the bubble problem regardless of the number of satellites you have.

You would not disable the OPTI function by switching to A-mode. You would disable the OPTI function via the Go app.

So does that mean that the OPTI can cause the loss of horizontal input commands? How o I turn that off?

You said:
"...and I couldn't use any directional manouvers, it simply wouldn't respond, "
The only cause for that can be that the control signal was broken for any reason.
In short distance even if I lost FPV screen by low controller battery level, control signal worked always fine. Thats way I think the problem was with controller. If the phenomenon is repeated, I suggest to check it in service.

So does that mean that the OPTI can cause the loss of horizontal input commands? How o I turn that off?

I have flown several times in A-mode where even GPS and Vision stabilization is turned off. No issue with any control command.

For better understanding, there is no OPTI function. If you are in P-Mode and AC hase no GPS signal it will automatically switch to P-OPTI mode, which means, that it use only Vision Positionig System to stabilisate the AC location. But it will not block the controller commands.

See the description on the page 11 of your manual:
Screenshot_1.png

As Mark mentioned: We have to read, read read...
If multiple flight modes isn't enabled in the app, the S1 switch will not have any effect on flight mode.

Last edited:

You are right,
You can only switch to A-mode, if you enable multiple flight modes previously in the App
But if you enable, and then use S1 to switch to A-mode this way you disable both GPS and Vision Positioning System. It's quite dangerous on low altitude in case of wind.

Last edited:
1#
Hi guys!

I had this issue. After having it for a month now I've noticed it happens when it's very cold. Like below 20 degrees. Try letting it hover and let the battery warm up. You can see I the app how much the battery has warmed up.

I had this issue. After having it for a month now I've noticed it happens when it's very cold. Like below 20 degrees. Try letting it hover and let the battery warm up. You can see I the app how much the battery has warmed up.

Makes sense, ir was a cold day. And since then I'm extra careful with battery temperature. I just hover it for a couple of minutes when needed. Thanks for your input.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav