Aircraft disconnected and won’t reconnect

Reaction score
I’m very new to this and am thinking this is a really stupid question

I have a P3 SE and have flown it 8 times - not far, max 100m at 30m height with clear line of sight

Each flight has ended by “aircraft disconnected” showing on go app and each time it has RTH safely

Is there a way I can reconnect during flight?

Am I doing something wrong?

Or is the drone faulty?

I’m aware of keeping the antenna parallel to the drone so I don’t think it’s a signal issue

It’s very frustrating!!!

I use either an iPhone 6s or iPad Air

Not really. The RC doesn't have a handle... most people grip it on the sides and move the stick controls with their thumbs.

Anyway, I think you'll have better success if you bend the stick antenna 90 degrees so that it's vertical. Then aim the controller carefully. See if your range improves.

Good luck.

Paul, did you try it on different locations? And are you flying in the USA (FCC) or somewhere else (CE).

For me it sounds that you have a broken antenna (inside the RC). Try it on different locations and if it repeats (always after 100 meters) then it could be a hardware error (in the RC).

Your use of parallel to the drone was ambiguous. The radio signal is emitted along the vertical axis of the antenna. If you are pointing the top end or tip of the antenna at the drone, like they are a flashlight for example, it is the least effective or least emissive. As MTD mentioned, keep them vertical like a flagpole.

Sorry I think I meant to say the handle bar (chrome metal bit)

So the antenna should be at right angles to this and I need to ensure I’m not pointing the tip of the antenna at the flying drone?

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• 6EB581C4-434A-46FF-A419-6ED871C308B1.jpeg
    6EB581C4-434A-46FF-A419-6ED871C308B1.jpeg
    617 KB · Views: 470
I’m flying in Scotland, UK

So I should keep the antenna tip pointing skywards but with the side of the antenna in the direction of the flying drone - thanks

Hope it’s not a hardware issue!

So I should keep the antenna tip pointing skywards but with the side of the antenna in the direction of the flying drone - thanks

Yes!!!

The important thing, and the easiest way to think about it flying the SE, is that the antenna must be bent 90 degrees and vertical.

Then aim like this: RC antenna -----------> I ..................... X <---------- AC

...and it will work very nicely.

If you fly here in Europe your radio signal is limited to CE regulation, which gives you maximum 400-500 meter distance. I was never able to reach 500 meter in CE mode.

The way as you described to point your controller is right, but not because of your external, visible antenna, which is for connection to your mobile, but because in this position the hidden internal antennas are directed towards the drone, and this hidden antennas ensure the connection between controller and drone.

Last edited:
Yes... that's why it's so important to bend the stick antenna 90 degrees on the SE... it makes aiming intuitive

Same idea with the P3S even though they are different systems

when it disconnects, look at settings on the phone to see if you locked onto another wifi signal. I know i can't stand within 200 feet of my house wifi, because it seems to overpower the strength of the controller wifi. My home router pushes 2.4 and 5G.

"Is there a way I can reconnect during flight?"

I double click the phone and slide DJI ap up. then reload it. I've gotten to where I can reconnect in about 10 seconds.

Last edited:
when it disconnects, look at settings on the phone to see if you locked onto another wifi signal. I know i can't stand within 200 feet of my house wifi, because it seems to overpower the strength of the controller wifi. My home router pushes 2.4 and 5G.

"Is there a way I can reconnect during flight?"

I double click the phone and slide DJI ap up. then reload it. I've gotten to where I can reconnect in about 10 seconds.

Ah ok - so let me get this right - when it disconnects and it’s in rth mode, I could shut down go app and open it up again and WiFi reconnect - should I switch off and then on again the rc too?

Ah ok - so let me get this right - when it disconnects and it’s in rth mode, I could shut down go app and open it up again and WiFi reconnect - should I switch off and then on again the rc too?

Don't turn off the Rc, that could cause you to have to reconnect the phones wifi, if there is another wifi near by that you have been connected to previously, and doesn't require password.

Your wifi between the controller and the phone will stay connected, the app is what flys the bird. The rth is not going to let your bird crash, its rth coordinates is pre loaded onboard the bird once you have done calibrations before flight, so you can reload the app and it will sync back up with the controller, video will start again and you can cancel rth. If the calibration screen shows up in the dji app, don't re-calibrate, it probably wouldn't let you anyway.

I'm just saying, when you do lose connection and it starts rth, As an experiment, check your wifi connection on the phone to see if its still engaged with Phantom wifi, to troubleshoot why it loses connect with the bird not very far away. I don't usually lose connection unless i'm flying full speed and thousands of feet out.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna