Weather channel just launched a drone!!

It looks like a Phantom and the ap looked like DJI Go.

Reactions: Newbieguy
It was definitely a DJI Phantom model. Jim Cantore had the pilot bring the control/iPad in front of the main camera and it was a DJI controller.

Wondering how they weather proofed it? It was flying in decently heavy rains.

Reactions: BigAl07
It was definitely a DJI Phantom model. Jim Cantore had the pilot bring the control/iPad in front of the main camera and it was a DJI controller.

Wondering how they weather proofed it? It was flying in decently heavy rains.

If it was a Phantom4 (which it probably was) they are much more weather/water resistant than previous models due to their vents being lower on the airframe.

Also keep in mind that it's just a tool (to them) and in comparison to the rest of their equipment a very inexpensive one. I wouldn't be surprised if they consider the Phantom "Expendable" in order to try and get those must-have weather aerials.

If it was a Phantom4 (which it probably was) they are much more weather/water resistant than previous models due to their vents being lower on the airframe.

Also keep in mind that it's just a tool (to them) and in comparison to the rest of their equipment a very inexpensive one. I wouldn't be surprised if they consider the Phantom "Expendable" in order to try and get those must-have weather aerials.

For sure the Phantom is expendable to them -- they spend more in travel expenses for an event like the last two storms than would be needed for 50 P4P's. I suspect that going forward every news and weather outfit with anything like national coverage ambitions will all have drones and I'd guess the cameraman or sound person is the pilot. I doubt the "talent" would be the pilot and risk their reputation if something goes wrong. In fact, I'd bet there are stipulations in their contracts that forbid doing so. If something goes wrong you have a nobody that can be sacrificed.

Brian

For sure the Phantom is expendable to them -- they spend more in travel expenses for an event like the last two storms than would be needed for 50 P4P's. I suspect that going forward every news and weather outfit with anything like national coverage ambitions will all have drones and I'd guess the cameraman or sound person is the pilot. I doubt the "talent" would be the pilot and risk their reputation if something goes wrong. In fact, I'd bet there are stipulations in their contracts that forbid doing so. If something goes wrong you have a nobody that can be sacrificed.

Brian

I'd say you're 100% correct. Our local news station (WLOS13 SkyView13) recently launched their UAS program and their photographers are the UAS operators.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl