Weak signal after 635ft height

its not too high, those machines go up to 500meters or 1600 ft, and im not planing on taking it that high anyway, but i need to know if there is some features on the quad or RC or deffective unit, or something interfiering with the signal like the tab,
i was using my galaxy note 4 with no problems and today i got a samsung tab s2 and runs smooth, but on both i get this weak signal, anyway thanks for helping

Mate people are getting a little p'd with you because they clearly have stated check the manual on antenna orientation.<<<<< Since you refuse to re-check your thinking on the manual and your understanding of it I will lay it out for you.If the bird is in front of you the antennas need to be parallel
to each other in a vertical standing tall orientation. If the bird is above your head the antennas also need to be parallel to each other but in the horizontal laying down position.

Reactions: nickyb
Switched the limit to 350 meters. Pushed it up to 600 ft. At 600 ft I was getting weak signal warning on and off. At 635 ft I got weak signal warnings that wouldn't go away. Chickened out and pressed RTH.

How are you guys pushing your P3s to 1,400 ft + height. I really don't care to go that high anymore. Theres not too much to look at it. But, I'm curious if I have a problem with my antennas or something.
I for one never really quite understood whether or not you were flying more or less straight up above your RC controller location.

Anything approximating direct overhead flight is the ONE ORIENTATION offering the absolute worst possible transmitter-to-receiver relationship for your antennas; there simply is no fix for direct overhead flight. This is because it is simply not possible for the antennas in the legs of the aircraft to be oriented in planes parallel BUT SEPARATE to the planes of the RC antennas. Stated another way, the antennas should be as parallel as possible AND separated in planes by at least a few dozen feet. Hmmm...that does sound about as clear as mud. Maybe an illustration...

P3ANTENNAS_zps9rnu9gin.jpg

Think of your antennas as embracing the sides of an invisible inverted cone. Anything inside that cone trying to receive (or send back) signals is in a "dead reception zone." On the other hand, having one set of antennas perpendicular to the other set is not particularly good either; you must try to get these things parallel and separated. Now I am sounding like a broken record - sorry.
P3Radio1_zps9ypggdgx.jpg

Best advice is: Unless flying only a hundred feet or so, or passing by your position, NEVER fly directly overhead or with your antennas pointed directly AT the target. If you were, it is fortunate that the aircraft and RC could communicate at all.

So, back to the clarification -- Were you flying straight up?

Last edited:
its not too high, those machines go up to 500meters or 1600 ft, and im not planing on taking it that high anyway, but i need to know if there is some features on the quad or RC or deffective unit, or something interfiering with the signal like the tab,
i was using my galaxy note 4 with no problems and today i got a samsung tab s2 and runs smooth, but on both i get this weak signal, anyway thanks for helping

A car goes over 80mph, doesn't mean it legal. Yesterday someone was trying to get signatures for the FAA. Today people are trying to go well over 400'. I must be missing something.

i had the same problem and i dont know why people are so rude on this forum? its a forum where people get answers,
anyway i pointed the antennas in 2 different ways, 1. pointing at the quad and 2. complete parallel to the ground and with the RC on flat surface and still get weak signal on remote at 405 ft , that being said, everytime i hit 395+ ft i get this weak signal. I DID read instructions and seen many totorials on youtube and still get this weak signal, i also tried different spots open fields and same thing. thanks anyway, im new in this forum and been using p3p for about 2 weeks. thanks

my mate was down this weekend and having just downloaded the latest FW so he could have poi etc, he'd never set his height limit but when he started up he noticed that the limit was set at 120mts, before that there was no limit so it seems like DJI had included the height limit in their latest FW

If you want to go very high go further away. I did a flight straight up in the air from where I was standing. I ended up holding the transmitter almost flat about my head upside down. Most uncomfortable. Next time move a long way away before you go so high.

Well you might well have done but I know my mates height limit was set at 120mts on his tablet after he loaded the new p3p app.I saw it myself???
plus as he'd only had his P3 a few weeks he's never set the height limit before.

FYI, from the day I got my V1.1.1 last year I set mine at the legal limit for the UK, H 400ft R 500 mts, I've been up to that limit and can't really see why anybody would want to go any higher for photos or videos, can't see much worth filming at that height

Last edited:
Reactions: Airgoz
If you want to learn, take the time to educate
YOURSELF before flying over 400'.

I find it funny and irresponsible that people want to go so high and know very little about the craft and how to operate it. But then claim they understand those risk and what they're doing is fine.
110% agree with you. A menace to other craft in the skies and another one giving a bad name to this hobby.

Reactions: snowghost
Better pics at or below 400' as well.

No doubt opening a can of worms but I can't understand why in the UK there is the 400' height limit. I mean jet aircraft fly way way above that height. And the few times I have come across aircraft whilst i have been flying they were UNDER that.
So why???

No doubt opening a can of worms but I can't understand why in the UK there is the 400' height limit. I mean jet aircraft fly way way above that height. And the few times I have come across aircraft whilst i have been flying they were UNDER that.
So why???

In the United States the VFR minimum is 500 feet. So they want all RC aircraft to stay below 400, providing a 100 foot buffer between manned traffic and RC

So why???

well I'll give you a reason why, light aircraft fly as low as 400ft (we get them many times a day every day at that height (a few private landing strips around here)) and also around here the c30 Hercules are also flying at that height,even lower sometimes, a few years ago I was flying my plane at around 300ft and the video showed that a Hercules was at the same height.
I would have thought that as you're in the brecons you must get low flying aircraft all around you with the military bases there, I used to fly my hanglider over your area but we had to abide by rules there as well

and as my last post states, why do you want to fly over 400ft.

and a BIG plus is that flying over the 400ft limit gives us all a bad name with the end product being more laws against us.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the United States the VFR minimum is 500 feet. So they want all RC aircraft to stay below 400, providing a 100 foot buffer between manned traffic and RC
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
not sure but I think the same is supposed to apply here

my mate was down this weekend and having just downloaded the latest FW so he could have poi etc, he'd never set his height limit but when he started up he noticed that the limit was set at 120mts, before that there was no limit so it seems like DJI had included the height limit in their latest FW

I know my mates height limit was set at 120mts on his tablet after he loaded the new p3p app.I saw it myself???
If DJI made a change like that every second thread here would be about it.
There has been no such change.
BUT .. when you upgrade the app some of the settings may revert to DJI defaults.
Your friend can go into the settings on his app and configure his altitude limit to whatever he wants up to 500 m.

It's always a good idea to check your settings after an upgrade, particularly things like RTH height and behaviour.

Reactions: snowghost
well I'll give you a reason why, light aircraft fly as low as 400ft (we get them many times a day every day at that height (a few private landing strips around here)) and also around here the c30 Hercules are also flying at that height,even lower sometimes, a few years ago I was flying my plane at around 300ft and the video showed that a Hercules was at the same height.
I would have thought that as you're in the brecons you must get low flying aircraft all around you with the military bases there, I used to fly my hanglider over your area but we had to abide by rules there as well

and as my last post states, why do you want to fly over 400ft.

and a BIG plus is that flying over the 400ft limit gives us all a bad name with the end product being more laws against us.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
not sure but I think the same is supposed to apply here

Yes that is my whole point. Plenty of aircraft around here way under 400' so who are you protecting? Seems to me it would be safer ABOVE 400' in my area!!!

If DJI made a change like that every second thread here would be about it.
There has been no such change.
BUT .. when you upgrade the app some of the settings may revert to DJI defaults.
Your friend can go into the settings on his app and configure his altitude limit to whatever he wants up to 500 m.

It's always a good idea to check your settings after an upgrade, particularly things like RTH height and behaviour.

thanks Meta4

my mate is quite happy as it is at 120 mts as he only want good quality photos and videos, any higher they are no good for what he wants.
don't know what the default is on a P3P but on my v1,1,1 default is 20,000ft

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic