Weak remote controller signal. Cant fly??

Reaction score
This morning took off flew quite well. Then as I came into land I brought the drone down to around 15 feet. Flew it towards me to bring it into me. All of a sudden it veered off to the left. The DJI AP popped up a message saying it had stopped working, the App not the aircraft. The drone went into some bramble bushes luckily I was comparatively low and very slow at the time. After getting it out of the brambles I was freezing cold so I brought it home. Luckily there was no damage it had simply got hooked on a bramble branch.

One of the things I noticed immediately was on the remote there were three lights lit up. The third one blinking. But neither the green nor the red light was lit. It was out. I turned it off and on again. Still three lights and no main light.

So recharged the batteries. Charged the RC unit itself. Took it all out to the garden table. Started up the drone, seemed to take ages "warming up" finally. I got the "Safe to fly" green signal. Then that message stopped. Got the scrolling red message "Remote signal too low, land immediately" (or words to that effect) then back to green, then back to red "remote signal low". I switched the whole thing off and came inside again.

Its always worked well in the area I used today. Not been any problems before. The drone and the RC were just feet away from each other.

Ideas??????

I had noticed this behavior after installing go app 2.5 / 2.51.

Suggest you to reinstall Go App.

Just been out again to try it. Just for something to twiddle with I went from P mode to F mode then back to P mode. The app suddenly went Green Safe to Fly and stayed there. Its still green now.

So it looks like I can fly again. Hate to think what would happen if I flew high and it did this. Why would the RC let me down like that? Software glitch?

It seems to be back to normal. Flew for 20 min on sim, yes I know its not the same but it does give the RC a test. I suspect the P-F switch. I had used it before I landed but went back into P to land. I supposed the cold damp air did not help.

Re-installing the app is never a bad idea, you could also re-link the controller and phantom like this.
Is it possible the switch was somehow between settings?
Despite the solid feel of the P3 controller I do suspect the switches are not that robust, there have been a number of reports of the RTH button breaking loose and falling inside for example.

Reactions: Frankc
Thank you for that. I can only assume it had not fully gone back to P mode. The DJI app did not like it. Switched itself off. As I said before I am a little reluctant to fly any distance now in case it happens again. A question of re-gaining confidence. Also if you look at Franks Story on this forum you will see that when I flew it through the fog into the sunshine, a couple of days ago, the engine/s did not sound right. It could have been distorted sound through the fog I dont know. I just landed quickly packed up and came home.

What also makes me wonder about the RC controller. Three lights were lit with the third one blinking. But the main light thats is normally always on and goes green or red? That was off completely. Making me think it was the RC itself rather than the software. If the P - F switch was in neither mode exactly it could have made the RC throw a wobbly.

So its all a question of guess work. Will fly again as though nothing went wrong tomorrow. But it will stay close to me incase anything does happen.

Thank you for your feedback. :)

Reactions: DrJoe
I'm having the same issues with Go 2.5, P3 1.4, controller on 1.5.7.
I switch everything off than on and it's good again but warning message "week signal" comes on time to time, can fly beyond VLO

At last someone I can help. Do a Remote controller reset. It seemed to work for me. I am (I hope) back to normal now.

I will see if I can find that video link that someone kindly gave me.

LOL did not have to look far! Look at the video a couple of boxes up in this topic. 4WD kindly posted it in for me. Just watch it and follow it, it points out a hidden button!

LOL did not have to look far! Look at the video a couple of boxes up in this topic. 4WD kindly posted it in for me. Just watch it and follow it, it points out a hidden button!

It was there just a couple of boxes up in this topic. Thanks for posting the link again chaps. Saved me doing it :) As I said before it worked for me.

As for re-linking or re-setting I did both. Pushing that button I assume re-sets the Remote Controller. I had to re-calibrate the compass before I flew but that was no hardship. Tomorrow morning when I can get to the kitchen worktop before the Mrs gets up I will re-calibrate the IMU too. :)

In this thread a little further back you will see the same video posted twice. Watch the video. It will show you that with the camera towards you look on the left hand side of the drone. You will see two slots. The second one from the front, the other has a green light in it, is a button. You push that with a small screw driver etc for 2 seconds. But before you do anything watch that video.

Better still here is the video.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl