Weak controller signal / Other issues second flight

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Hoping I could get some insight from more experienced individuals here. I did my first flight on stock firmware on P3A using Nvidia K1 on Android 6.0. No issues and it connected well. I used the latest DJI app.

For the second flight, it started saying to update the controller firmware, so I think I did through the app. Then I updated the firmware of P3A to the latest per DJI website i.e. V1.10.90. Next when I went out to fly, it initially again started telling me to update firmware, even though it was already done and then the message went away. I removed the beginner 30m distance limit cause I wanted to see how high it flies.

I noted the connection varied from good to poor quite frequently. This wasn't the case the first time when I flew on stock or maybe I didn't pay attention. Anyways, I took it straight up after saving a home point. And it went up 60 to 70 m which is about 230 feet. Antennas were up (if the drone is right in the front the top of the antenna would point up, the side would face towards the drone) but then suddenly I got a weak controller signal. I thought it would go higher up as the range is quite a bit on P3A? Not sure why it started giving me a weak controller signal. I tried to bring it back down but it wouldn't lol. Gave me a scare. Eventually it changed the status and started to land automatically and so it did. Then I got an issue of gimbal overload. What in the world is going on? So I calibrated it again, turned the drone off and restarted it and it went away. Flew fine for a bit. I thought maybe that's because of high winds up at 60m? Or because it was coming down fast? But i noticed the weak controller signal again at 60m. If I go sideways even a bit, I start losing signal.

To summarize:
1) Weak controller signal at 60/70m height
2) Weak GPS connection signal even though there are about 15+ satellites available. This is in the middle of park where no interference close by
3) Gimbal overload

Clearly did not have fun.

:(

If you're flying straight up above you. the antennas should be parallel to the ground so that the flat side is facing upwards. The way you had it, the control signal is travelling away from you, and not up to the drone.

Reactions: Oso
so does that mean the ends should face straight away from me? should the flat side be following the drone?

Yes, front flat side should face the aircraft.
If you were to drop a donut onto the antenna this is similar to the radiation pattern. Not exactly but close enough to visualize that little to no signal emanates or is detected from the ends or tips but rather the sides as rockydog mentioned.

Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 07.23.11.png

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic