We should all be prepared for this kind of encounter

In a similar 2009 Florida case the SCOTUS ruled that owners do not have the property rights to forever touch the water. The case was a bunch of landowners saying that the city "took" their land because the city added 75 ft of new sand to mitigate beach erosion. "Land created by a sudden event belongs to the owner of the seabed, applies to beach restoration. Because here the state owns the seabed, there could be no taking." The property owners lost.

In Washington State public beaches are public — and private beaches are private.
Here’s a link to the Dept. of Ecology web page with some info. Specifically, it says… “Don’t trespass. Many public access beaches are bordered by private property. Please stay within park boundaries.”
The folks at the
Long Beach Penninsula Visitors Bureau tell a more complete story…
“Unlike some coastal states, Washington’s tidelands and beaches are not all in public ownership. The state Legislature elected to sell its tidelands and beaches in 1889.The practice continued for about 80 years, until the Legislature changed the law in 1971. Today, an estimated 60 to 70 percent of Washington’s tidelands are in private hands. Public access is available only to about 30 percent of the state’s shorelines… ”

https://bainbridgeshorelinehomeowne...am-i-free-to-walk-across-someone-elses-beach/

Question (8 seconds on Google)

https://www.google.co.nz/webhp?sour...e=UTF-8#q=+privately+owned+beaches+in+America

Answer

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101115164849AAsoEG6

Best Answer:In some states, property owners can own to the high water line. Most beaches in New Jersey are owned by the borough or township. But in Point Pleasant Beach, most of the beach is owned by Jenkinson's Corporation. To be on the beach between the boardwalk and the high water line, you need to purchase a beach tag (which you also have to purchase from the borough or township in almost every other beach in NJ). If you are on the beach without, you can be fined for trespassing.

There was right and wrong but She may be local and uninformed, it happens a lot.

It was a definitive answer

The History

https://www.floridabar.org/DIVCOM/J...83d21148206bf5ef852575bb005321eb?OpenDocument

It was a SCOTUS decision - you know, the Supreme Court of the US, and their decisions are binding on all states. People can put up all the signs they want - there are no private beaches on the US coastline.

You need to check your facts again. This was the FLORIDA Supreme Court...not the Nation's Supreme Court. Makes quite a difference.

Reactions: IflyinWY
Open carry is moronic, especially considering how little you're paying attention to your immediate surrounding while flying. Unless you prefer to have your gun taken from you, an occurrence more common than you think.

I have not seen much support for ddSodier, and so I figured I would toss in my 2 cents: I TOTALLY agree: I use 110% of my attention on my p2v+, leaving NONE for situational awareness to keep a bad guy from taking my gun. During flying, concealed is the only way I go. I DO open carry sometimes, but my SA is 90% or higher watching...

If I even think that I mite be muged at the place I want to fly, I will find somewhere else to fly. Cant keep an eye on every thing when flying.
When people approach me it is to ask how far or how much, or can I see that.
. So fly safe very buddy. Cause you know we are going to lose the rite to fly sooner or later. The media and Government are after us.

If I even think that I mite be muged at the place I want to fly, I will find somewhere else to fly. Cant keep an eye on every thing when flying.
. So fly safe very buddy. Cause you know we are going to lose the rite to fly sooner or later. The media and Government are after us.

-1 on the last two sentences.

Reactions: dirkclod
The discussion of laws regarding public/private beaches has been interesting.

Let's be clear that the video posted at the start of this thread was taken on a public beach in Alabama. The pilot was within his rights to fly there and his reaction to the situation was reasonable, IMHO. However, had the "employee" been drinking (or more drunk than he already was) it could have turned ugly fast. Add guns to the mix and you've got a lethal cocktail brewing.

The day I feel so threatened by the world that I think I must pack heat to be safe, I'll just stay home.

Add guns to the mix and you've got a lethal cocktail brewing..
Because that's what normal, reasonable people do, go around drunk-shooting each other. :rolleyes:

In the U.S., you've got a duty to protect your right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. That's your job, not the police. This is supported by case law. Carrying has nothing to do with "feeling threatened", but should be part of a larger, proactive personal (and family) security posture. There is no safety or security gained by simply carrying a gun.

In this specific situation, regardless of his "rights to fly there", avoiding the conflict by leaving is the better course of action, thereby decreasing the possibility of any "lethal cocktails". He gains absolutely nothing in arguing with the idiot, chest-thumping bravado aside.

Do u think this would be out the question?
c24d1d8065fb6d9ae683a48ce3e97dba.jpg

Can get pretty rough out in the park at night [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61603daf1f669a8bc6f0002bf4b6ed6e.jpg

What u say bout my Drone mutherf*ker !

Last edited:

I try to keep low key as possible. It's difficult though with a bright white remote. I try to get the phantom high real quick and move away and hide.

We need shirts made up, printed in LARGE and BOLD, front and back:
"-Yes its expensive.
-No you may not have a go.
-I have herpes, it's contagious, please stay away."

Last edited:
I love the SRBM argument almost as much as the suitcase nuke and bazooka arguments... almost...

Certainly puts to rest the "who owns the beach" argument. :eek:

Last edited:
Gentlemen Please,
I'm gonna pee myself... :eek:

We're simply kicking sand on each others towels.

Now, if this question were brought up in my neck of the woods. Well, there's a lot of land here and justa few people. ;)

Reactions: yorlik
Sigh, when confronted like this, take the higher way and leave, and be very polite about it. We as pilot have a responsibility to people like him and to the rest of the world, that we are nice adult people that are responsible pilot and is not out to confront anyone. Had the pilot been nice and like asked the guy if he wanted to see what he had filmed, maybe he could have been won over. Our little quads are still a bit intimidating in this world of Drone warfare, so we have to prove that they are not suitable as spytools because of the wide optics. Another thing is that its a tad intimidating for many beach goers that a copter are filming them half nude and could react in a similar way. Good rule, if possible ask first.

I already had a run in with an idiot like this. So I registered with the FAA and had a plastic ID card printed up with all my certificate information that looks very official. Also joined the AMA and have all my liability and medical insurance certificates with me at all times. I hang the ID card in a holder on my shirt. I carry a copy of all FAA guidelines and regulations in addition to local laws. Had someone told me to do this when I first got my phantom I would have said hell no, that is overboard and crazy. My experiences so far have proven this it's a good thing to have to at least show you are a serious registered pilot and know the regs.

This is the card I got from ebay:

FAA Registered sUAS DRONE Pilot Registration Reference Card Info DJI

These kind of stories really get under my skin. You don't need a gun to handle a situation like this. You don't need to run away with you tail tucked between your legs. Stand your ground. Fly where you'd like as long as you know you're within the law. If someone puts their hands on you defend you yourself. It's that easy. The more people tuck tail and run away from situations like this the more you empower idiots like him to keep doing what they are doing.

Dress up like MIB when you go flying and tell him to move on before all Hell breaks loose and that you have bigger problems to address. lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.