Waterproofing

Sky pixels Ireland on YouTube and FB, haven't added much to it lately, have a ton of stuff to add in the next week or so

Sky pixels Ireland on YouTube and FB, haven't added much to it lately, have a ton of stuff to add in the next week or so

just subscribed to your your youtube channel :)

btw.. nice "illuminated" sailboat!!... Im thinking of getting a sailboat to travel the world and capture some aerials! ;) (besides having lots of fun (and self-made work) of course), and this has "enlighten" me even more! :D maybe I do that to mine?.. It would be cousy at night!.. but in pirate areas I will turn it off! :p hahaha.

btw.. I dont have a specific youtube channel for my aerials.. but I will start a website with lots of info too! ;)

I saw your crash into to river and was wondering if you found the cause. Many crash videos show a similar behavior.
Never did figure out why it crashed, just a typical NAZA flyaway. Everything survived because it floats and was waterproof. It is flying fine now.

I put mine in a lake 10 months ago. I opened it up, rinsed everything with fresh water from the tap and then dried it for two days using rice and a fan. It's been flying ever since and I never had to replace anything. It's not automatic that it's ruined if it goes in fresh water....you just need to address the cleanup as soon as possible and make sure it's completely dry before you fire it up. I think saltwater is a different issue due to the way it reacts with the electronics and motor windings.

Never did figure out why it crashed, just a typical NAZA flyaway. Everything survived because it floats and was waterproof. It is flying fine now.

how did you waterproof it? what did you use? and the camera? was it on the gimbal?

I put mine in a lake 10 months ago. I opened it up, rinsed everything with fresh water from the tap and then dried it for two days using rice and a fan. It's been flying ever since and I never had to replace anything. It's not automatic that it's ruined if it goes in fresh water....you just need to address the cleanup as soon as possible and make sure it's completely dry before you fire it up. I think saltwater is a different issue due to the way it reacts with the electronics and motor windings.

yeah saltwater can be a worse adversary.. but I've heard the same story on salty water... just rinse as fast as you can with fresh water from the tap, and dry for two days with rice and a fan. (now unsure if it works always, but I read a couple that did fine)

and what about your camera?.. did you have any? was it a gopro in waterproof case?.. or h3-2d/3d, or v/v+?

Im positive about waterproofing the Phantom, but I wonder if a gopro would be possible to waterproof?, to hard to disassemble?

how did you waterproof it? what did you use? and the camera? was it on the gimbal?

yeah saltwater can be a worse adversary.. but I've heard the same story on salty water... just rinse as fast as you can with fresh water from the tap, and dry for two days with rice and a fan. (now unsure if it works always, but I read a couple that did fine)

and what about your camera?.. did you have any? was it a gopro in waterproof case?.. or h3-2d/3d, or v/v+?

Im positive about waterproofing the Phantom, but I wonder if a gopro would be possible to waterproof?, to hard to disassemble?
No, mine was a P1 with a GoPro in the case and it was fine. Funny thing....I had a couple of LCD lights on it and I could seen them plus the ESC lights under the water. I unplugged the battery as soon as I got it out and I'm still using the battery to this day plus the lights. Water is definitely not a killer on the Phantom itself but I can't speak to the camera or gimbal on a P2 but I don't know why it would be any different.

Reactions: Beni
No, mine was a P1 with a GoPro in the case and it was fine. Funny thing....I had a couple of LCD lights on it and I could seen them plus the ESC lights under the water. I unplugged the battery as soon as I got it out and I'm still using the battery to this day plus the lights. Water is definitely not a killer on the Phantom itself but I can't speak to the camera or gimbal on a P2 but I don't know why it would be any different.

sounds great! well that was on fresh water... so I won't be that afraid of rivers then.. but salty sea could be worse.. I will check it out, and eventually just waterproof the components ;)

Lets see how "syotr" did his and we can learn from him :)

Beni, on another subject....I have a very good friend who lives and works in Fredrikstad. I guess it wouldn't mean much to him if I told him to go to Hell. LOL !

Reactions: Beni
Beni, on another subject....I have a very good friend who lives and works in Fredrikstad. I guess it wouldn't mean much to him if I told him to go to Hell. LOL !

Hahaha!!... exactly! well, some km / miles though.. about 7 hours driving I think ;)

I did find out that there was also "Hell" in the states!! (in Michigan ---> Hell, MI 48169), now if its a town or a county or any other kind of place, I can say.. but its nice to have two Hell on Earth! ;)

Hahaha!!... exactly! well, some km / miles though.. about 7 hours driving I think ;)

I did find out that there was also "Hell" in the states!! (in Michigan ---> Hell, MI 48169), now if its a town or a county or any other kind of place, I can say.. but its nice to have two Hell on Earth! ;)

haha.. I did check it out!.. 5 hours 52 minutes driving from Kentucky! ;) so you're closer to Hell than your friend in Norway! :p

Im doomed though! :D

I new I was closer to Hell than him because I'm a few years older, haha ! The place in Michigan is used as a reference here in a Kentucky when we say it's colder than hell. LOL God natt, min venn.

I new I was closer to Hell than him because I'm a few years older, haha ! The place in Michigan is used as a reference here in a Kentucky when we say it's colder than hell. LOL God natt, min venn.

haha ;) nice to hear!... God natt, min venn.. ;) sove godt! :p

My quad is built in a carbon fiber shell that is completely sealed. It has Gortex patches to vent the barometer and heatsinks through the shell to transfer heat from the ESC's. Motors are OK in fresh water.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30561775&postcount=42
Waterproofing the gimbal:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30285384&postcount=38
Waterproofing the GoPro:

My quad is built in a carbon fiber shell that is completely sealed. It has Gortex patches to vent the barometer and heatsinks through the shell to transfer heat from the ESC's. Motors are OK in fresh water.
Waterproofing the gimbal:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30285384&postcount=38
Waterproofing the GoPro:

nice work right there! :) nice idea for the gopro indeed!.. and black marker to simulate an nd filter? now thats clever! :D

nice work right there! :) nice idea for the gopro indeed!.. and black marker to simulate an nd filter? now thats clever! :D
The black marker was used to mark the center of the lens on the plastic bag. I then took the camera out of the bag and used a razor knife to cut out a circle a bit smaller than the lens. When I press on the lens protector it stretches the hole out over the lens and makes a good seal. I used some glue around the edges.

I've now saved two phantoms after being fully submerged in saltwater. So you shouldn't just give up when you do crash into saltwater

there is no point in getting it water proofed, you could cover your circuts in hot glue or any other insulator, but you still have the issue of water in the motors shorting out your bored and over heating.
lets say waterproofing costs you idk, 80 bucks you would be better off getting a "square trade" accidental warranty on it. i think its around 40-100 im not to sure. depending on which phantom you have. that way if anything is damaged you are covered.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj