Water

No. Look out for other boats and navigation marks ;-) In my opinion it's much safer than on land. Look at this:
Three days later I crasched into a tree when I was circling round a church! The best obstacle sensors should be located on the sides of the P4P!!
But I admit I was quite nervous in the beginning flying over the water but now I fly 80% over water!

Last edited:
Reactions: Hikaru Sulu
Any pointers about flying over water? Anything in particular I should know?

If you are flying very low (10 feet or less) over water you may want to turn of the VPS system. Double check your return to home settings.

- Don't fly close to the surface of the water (unless you can clearly see your Phantom with your eyes)
- Make sure you have enough battery power left to make it to the home point

If you are flying over the ocean watch out for gulls...a positive flying over the sea is that your signal is always strong(no interference).

Watch out for the offshore breeze if over the ocean, usually much stronger before it reaches the beach

No. Look out for other boats and navigation marks ;-) In my opinion it's much safer than on land. Look at this:
Three days later I crasched into a tree when I was circling round a church! The best obstacle sensors should be located on the sides of the P4P!!
But I admit I was quite nervous in the beginning!

Man, this makes me want to go to Sweden right now!!! :D

Thanks for the info.

Any pointers about flying over water? Anything in particular I should know?
If you are flying manually...I prefer to USE THE CAMERA VIEW to tell me ground truth(no pun intended) and drone attitude...one exception...if goal is for a very low shot skimming over the water, use eyes on drone to confirm altitude above water, as the sensors can have a problem properly judging altitude over water.

Also, I recommend launching at a ground level that is as close to the water level as possible, as I have noticed when I launch 10 - 20 feet higher than the water, the drone may compensate its altitude to drop to maintain its perceived altitude over the water.

Also if for some reason you decide to use RTH when drone is in close to you, but over water...consider NOT using it, as you very well may end up with a submarine, given how RTH behaves when activated in close to its recorded home location...it just drops straight down!

If you are flying manually...I prefer to USE THE CAMERA VIEW to tell me ground truth(no pun intended) and drone attitude...one exception...if goal is for a very low shot skimming over the water, use eyes on drone to confirm altitude above water, as the sensors can have a problem properly judging altitude over water.

Also, I recommend launching at a ground level that is as close to the water level as possible, as I have noticed when I launch 10 - 20 feet higher than the water, the drone may compensate its altitude to drop to maintain its perceived altitude over the water.

Also if for some reason you decide to use RTH when drone is in close to you, but over water...consider NOT using it, as you very well may end up with a submarine, given how RTH behaves when activated in close to its recorded home location...it just drops straight down!
The drone will refuse to land on water with RTH/auto land. It knows when it's over water.

Ok, so I am moderately new to all this. What are VPS and RTH?

Thank you for the info!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga