Watching on TV

Reaction score
I have a mavick pro and I am able to watch video on my TV by plugging the card into a reader and then into the USB port on the television. However, when I try that with the Phantom 4 pro I am unable to watch it. Is there a setting that I can use when I am recording that will make it readable on the television in the same format as the mavick?

MP4 vs MOV? Is your TV 4k 60Hz? Kinda doubt it.
Perhaps try dropping res to 1080p.

You probably just need to use a video format and resolution and framerate which is compatible with both the drone and TV.

Reactions: Surferchicusa
I didn't see where you mentioned the res or format of the Mavic and the P4P videos, so I can only make some guesses. The problem that I've run into the most is that most TV's tend not to provide support for a wide range of native video formats. I suspect there's some aspect of the P4P video format that your TV doesn't support natively. I would identify the actual format of Mavic video and attempt to use that format if native TV support is important for you. It might be helpful to learn what native video formats your TV does support and try to work with that. Other than that, there are some ways around that. Very possible that others in this forum can provide some other suggestions.

I have a mavick pro and I am able to watch video on my TV by plugging the card into a reader and then into the USB port on the television. However, when I try that with the Phantom 4 pro I am unable to watch it. Is there a setting that I can use when I am recording that will make it readable on the television in the same format as the mavick?

I purchased a 50 foot HDMI cable and just play any digital file through my pc. Works great. So far if I can play it on the pc it shows up on my tv (when the tv is tuned to the proper HDMI port)

You have to make sure your video resolution and fps does not exceed your TV's max capability. My samsung TV max is 1080p - 30fps. So anything above that is a no go 2.7K or 4K is a no go or a 60fps in any resolution is a no go. I record in 4K and in post I recode the video in a H.264 at 1080p-30fps mp4 and the image is good, not as good as my computer 4K monitor by far. If you wish to share a video with friends your format will probably maxed at 1080-30fps and even 720 because 4K television and monitors are still not that popular in homes yet.

We purchased a cheap German "Aldi" [Brand = Braun] '4k' TV. The TV also did NOT have any USB-3 ports, just USB-2.

With Computer (& dedicated 'graphics card), connected to TV input via HDMI cable (5 feet approx) the 4k/50hz video showed lots of tearing/breakup in 'busy' video content. (e.g. Ocean Waves over shallow seaweed beds..). Content was Unwatchable, TV was Returned to store.

Not re-checked TV at 25/30hz, because I felt that that for it to be a 'keeper' it needed to work nicely at higher frame rates of 50/60 Hz, with a preference to 60Hz as the refresh rate as a function of mains cycles has become less relevant to current screen technology. Locally, we have 50Hz Mains power.

Suggest taking a USB stick with you when you are testing in store for TVs. In our tests, Hisense had trouble recognising any video content on a USB, Sony was so much better. Tested USB setup was a USB to MicroSD card adaptor with Sandisk 95mb/sec card.

Computer remains sufficiently usable for the moment, I can do without the extra toys.

EDD42FF9-02C7-4F3C-B305-A69EE8BBF2C6.jpeg
I have the p4p and can watch on my Samsung tv. There are 3 USB ports and the one on the top works. See photo.

Reactions: Wayne1949
I edit and upload to YouTube in 4K 60fps at 100mbs CBR, and then watch through the YouTube app on my 55" LG 4K TV. Works great!

You're probably using the wrong codec. Shoot with h.264, not h.265. And unless you're dealing with a very pro production company who specifically asks for h.265, I would leave it on h.264.

Reactions: Surferchicusa

Hi, I have bled to figure a true 4k solution that actually works. A lot of TV's, computers, video cards, media playes, youtube, direct and other means just don't manage along with all the possible combinations that make it none compatible. Note, I can now play any format, size, frame rate and combination without issue.

First to answer your immediate problem, if none of the solutions above help, try changing 4k 4096x2176 down to 4k 3840x2050 on your P4P. This really makes the diffrence as some TV's cannot cope or auto crop to the smaller std 4k resolution. It worked for me.

I can tell you this...A true 4k solution (no uprezing) that works and I use:
I have an LG 55" smart TV (UHD)
Apple 4k TV
Infuse (free from Apple Store) - the other big brand software does not cope
NAS (I use a cheap share centre and raid 1 3T)

I run the NAS through my router on 1000T (1G although wifi works) , Apple TV to the router at 1000T and TV via HDMI. It works no matter what format I throw at it and does not need an Apple computer, cloud or anything else to run it (maybe an apple account) and the video runs as smooth as a babys butt, evey time....nothing else I tried can do it.

Good luck mate and I hope this helps others possibly seeking a visual robust 4k solution

Steve

Last edited:
Reactions: ravedog
You're probably using the wrong codec. Shoot with h.264, not h.265. And unless you're dealing with a very pro production company who specifically asks for h.265, I would leave it on h.264.
He already said he tried both.

Reactions: Harleydude

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT